• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sign Gardiner $4m AAV 4 year

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It’s a 4 year deal Jeffbear. Isn’t it?

Could also have been waiting on Williams’ decision to pull the trigger on this.
Ugh ... yes. I had a short term deal in my head, but it's a middle term deal. Either way, it's not the full 7 (or 8) you'd expect for a high profile UFA defenseman. And without bonuses, it should the kind of contract you can move if you need to.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
If the Canes are trying to get Puljujarvi out of this, maybe swinging either Faulk or Gardner with our without a pick to Edmonton for Jesse
Umm .. no. Both of those are WAY too much to pay for a guy who is about a millimeter from being a massive draft bust. Plus you CANNOT sign a free agent and then trade the guy. You'd never sign another free agent in the history of ever. I mean, maybe you could deal Faulk for Puljujarvi plus a pick and then stash Puljujarvi somewhere until he's proven his head isn't permanently lodged up his own backside ... but even then, it's probably too much.
Besides. This deal just went down. There's no reason to speculate about specific trades for anybody. We don't know squat.

HeyKurtz

Is this some sort of clue that although there is an article on the Cane site, it isn't linked to the scrolling headlines from the main page? like, don't get used to him being here... he won't be here long..?
Just a website thing...it has since been rectified. Plus, you don't sign a veteran free agent, make a big deal on social media about his signing and then trade him right away if you ever want to sign another veteran free agent in the future.

CanadaCanes

Fleury for Puljujarvi seems on the surface to be a good hockey trade with the exchange of two early first rounders that both have not yet found their wings at the NHL level. Now that they have shored up the left side D with Gardiner, I could see this type of trade making sense for both teams. Fleury to me has still not shown enough to be considered a legit NHL defenseman.

JamesNorthern

Yeah of course we're not trading Gardiner, but Faulk? Who knows. Again, nice problems to have. de Haan out, Gardiner in - that's an upgrade offensively at least.
As for Puljujarvi, I would be more comfortable that we swing a guy like Fleury for him. In this case it should be a swap of high drafted players who've not exactly developed whatever the reasons be, as expected. Although Fleury is actually a useable NHL player, me thinks that is his next step is to get a serious role putting in minutes. It would be a low risk/high reward move for the Oilers and given our depth on D, same thing for us.
Anyway, this is all speculative. Who knows what's next. But if there's another move to be made before season starts it would have to be made in the next 3 weeks if they want the player coming back to gel from start of camp. Otherwise, you start the season and see how things play out.

Pucking Lamplighter

I'm really liking the Gardiner signing. Couldn't have been a much bigger surprise. It seems like Faulk's days here are numbered, especially if his representation is asking for the moon. After today's news, there's no telling what the next move might be.

No matter what, this year's version of Hurricanes ought to be great fun to watch. Almost every weakness has been sensibly addressed with quality personnel. Hopefully team chemistry comes together as seamlessly as it did last year. I can't remember ever being as excited for the hockey season to start.

On Wednesday, I did an inspection for a Bruins fan who relocated to this area two years ago, but just bought a permanent home. He said he took his 13 year old son to game 6 Caps vs. 'Canes at PNC Arena and they couldn't believe how loud that arena rocked. He said their ears were still ringing 3 days later. Also said that his son may have sworn off allegiance to the Bruins after that.

Jim

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Ugh ... yes. I had a short term deal in my head, but it's a middle term deal. Either way, it's not the full 7 (or 8) you'd expect for a high profile UFA defenseman. And without bonuses, it should the kind of contract you can move if you need to.
It’s also for the same AAV as is previous 5 year deal with the Leafs. So no raise.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It’s also for the same AAV as is previous 5 year deal with the Leafs. So no raise.
Toronto media propped up the idea that Gardiner would get 7 years at $7 mil, so they’re in shock now. Wait, no they aren’t because Toronto media never does introspection or self analysis

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Here is the breakdown per LeBrun. His salary goes up every year. $3.65 million/$3.9/$4.2/$4.45. And a 7 team NTC. Does the NTC mean he has to be protected in the expansion draft? If so, ugh.

SlapShots

I'm not familiar with this fellow, but he paints a pretty darn good picture of what we have with Jake Gardner-- I enjoyed it:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
This is a rough summer for Habs fans.
No kidding. I know they already hate Bergevin, but that meathead is STILL doing press Q and As banging on about the Aho offer and today the idiot stood up and announced that they made an offer to Gardiner. You aren't doing yourself or your fans any favors, Marc ... excuse me, favours. You look increasingly inept, if fact. More concerned with covering your butt than doing your job.

SlapShots

This is a rough summer for Habs fans.
to say the least...they've missed the ball that last two off seasons. Screwed the pooch on the Aho offer sheet, haven't signed any significant players this off season and then there was the Karl Alzner miss. Molson is not spending money and Bergevin doesn't know how to use it when he does!