• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Ryan Dzingel

Boardwork

If you trade and retain salary--does that get spread out over the contract? (e.g. trade reimer and eat 1.5 per year)? possible (not saying anyone wants him)

cmaleski2

You retain a percentage of the cap hit/salary every year of the contract (in even % amounts). So the Canes could trade Reimer and retain, say, 25%. That would be 25% cap hit (which is static for every year of the contract) and salary (which might not be static each year of the contract) each season.

SlapShots

Yep-- Slavin! Heart and soul guy and is on the ice in most of the challenging situations. It would be a first to have a d-man named captain out of the gates for this franchise. I want Willie back as our captain, if he's 100 percent in. If not, I get and he retires as a Hurricane and as a class act.

Ticket sales be damned if Williams is the make-or-break piece. If you're re-upping because of Williams, then that's just silly...You're STM because the game is fun, the team is good and the team got to the ECF.

ThinIce

An ice cold bet says that does not happen. Aho gets the "C". Guaranteed. This is the NHL.
I tend to agree, but the offer sheet issue, his youth and his quiet, soft-spoken (and English speaking ability) demeanor work against him. I lean toward Slavin.

bagopux

An ice cold bet says that does not happen. Aho gets the "C". Guaranteed. This is the NHL.
That’s a fair point. But this is RB’A’s team and it’s likely his decision. I can’t see him giving it to Aho unless Aho’s has earned it and I doubt he has but I don’t know. The logical choice is Slavin. I could see it going back to Staal. He’s well-respected in the room as far as I can tell. Martinook would be a dark horse, and a not so dark horse if his contract was longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmon3

But Martinook also gives them a potential short term plan. You don't want to give it to Aho or Slavin and have to take it back. And you don't want to give it to Staal if you think you want to give it to Slavin or Aho in a year or two...

I'm going to trust RB'A's decision on this.

CanadaCanes

The trade deadline cost for Columbus to acquire Dzingel as a rental was Anthony Duclair, and a pair of second round picks! The Columbus fans must be overjoyed with their GM this summer to date.

cmaleski2

That was the first series win in Columbus franchise history and it was against one of the best regular season teams in NHL history. I'm not sure I would call that just a 1st round win, that was major step forward for the franchise.

Of course the cost might be 10 steps back, but that wasn't a run of the mill 1st round win. It was more meaningful than that to Columbus.

cmaleski2

Dzingel press call had the usual statements about how excited he was after talking to Dundon and Brindy, how many good things he's heard about Brindy, how our style of play matches his game, how he and his fiancée liked the idea of living in our area at this point in his career, etc. etc. He also referred to the playoff run a few times in his answers.

We are likely going to end up around 90%+ in term of the max cap number when the season starts. Dundon came in. In his first full season we won. And our payroll this coming season almost certainly is going to be higher than any Canes payroll, ever. Dundon is doing his part, and the fans responded near the end of the last season and in the playoffs (and apparently in terms of an increase in STM commitments). Hopefully we can continue to get more fans back onboard the train Its time for the fans to do their part if they haven't already.

SlapShots

I am so overwhelmingly pleased with this franchise, team, coaching and management. I will candidly admit I was against RBA being coach. I disliked Waddell. I questioned the investment of Dundon. I didn't think this team would be a real contender, muchless in the ECF. This team and all the elements combined made hockey fun again. Every year I debated about renewing and every year, I drank the fingers crossed, hope flavored Kool-Aid and grudgingly submitted my money. This is the first time in years! that I am pleased to support this team and pleased to see the investments from Dundon, the players, the coaches and management. We are relevant again and we are taking real strides in the right direction.

Christer

Good signing. I was actually hoping the Canes was in on him and they got him at a fair price. I still hope Williams gets signed though.

Elsker

Yet another good value acquisition and note at the UFA level. Supposedly we were inquiring about him at the trade deadline so not new to our radar.

Fast skater who scores off the rush and around the net. Self-described via his "hello Canes" Twitter as a scorer and a shooter.

Good hands and being in the right places over the past two seasons places him 15th overall for 5-on-5 shooting percentage (15.3%) and 24th overall for 5-on-4 shooting percentage (22.2%) among 200+ game players. PP-goal scorer (5 PP goals last two seasons) with a niche of cleaning up loose pucks around the net...something we have sorely lacked. (Stats via @cane_alytics)

Pair him with the passers we currently have (Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Necas?) on the power play and we should see more success on the PP.

Heck of a forward acquisition, aimed at a specific deficiency, that now affords the creation of four scoring lines, including Staal centering a strong two-way line, not just a defense-only one. Heck, last season's third line might be this season's fourth we have so much depth.

If Williams is in we're a serious Cup contender with injury depth in the system.

Last edited:

JamesNorthern

I like this one. He immediately steps on the ice and I would rank him along with our more savy offensive components. He killed us many times with slick fast plays with the Sens.

cmon3

If Williams is in we're a serious Cup contender with injury depth in the system.
This ^^^... Assuming Willie hasn't made up his mind yet, this kind of move seems like it would make him want to come back. He can come back and take a serious run at the Cup while continuing to provide the needed veteran leadership and mentoring.

Plus if he wants to come back he doesn't have to feel like he has to carry so much of the load. Excellent move.

JamesNorthern

Would Jwill accept the 4th line? And maybe spot work on the PP, since he can still provide offense and has a decent shot.

bagopux

You think? We got clobbered by a *serious* Cup contender. Since then, we lost Ferland, McIlhenney, de Haan and McKegg and picked up Haula and Dzingel and that’s closed the gap with teams like the Bruins?

I think this *could* make us an upper tier team and a *potential* Cup contender. But a lot would have to break right for this team for it to be a *serious* Cup contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk