• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Ryan Dzingel

JamesNorthern

You think? We got clobbered by a *serious* Cup contender. Since then, we lost Ferland, McIlhenney, de Haan and McKegg and picked up Haula and Dzingel and that’s closed the gap with teams like the Bruins?

I think this *could* make us an upper tier team and a *potential* Cup contender. But a lot would have to break right for this team for it to be a *serious* Cup contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah we're one big bodied stud away from actually making that grade. Maybe that's Svech down the road..

Elsker

Also potentially adding Necas.

Ability to run four speedy scoring lines leads to stronger third period performance and skating opposing teams into the ice.

We lacked finishing ability and scorers, particularly on the power play. Added Haula and Dzingel who address that identified deficit.

(addition of Haula + Dzingel + Necas) >> (loss of Ferland + McKegg + deHaan)

Add in Svechnikov 2.0 plus increased system depth and we are a stronger regular season and playoff team.

There's enough team grit to avoid slowing these lines down with individual grit. And the speed/conditioning/balanced minutes approach seems more sustainable than trying to out-pound teams that choose to go that route.

TheBigKahuna

That’s a fair point. But this is RB’A’s team and it’s likely his decision. I can’t see him giving it to Aho unless Aho’s has earned it and I doubt he has but I don’t know. The logical choice is Slavin. I could see it going back to Staal. He’s well-respected in the room as far as I can tell. Martinook would be a dark horse, and a not so dark horse if his contract was longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm not completely sold that if it's up to Brindy, Aho would get it. Maybe? But most NHL teams now Immediately throw that "C" on the highest paid, or most prolific player regardless of is actually the "leader". Maybe Williams makes this a non factor.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
This is a good signing. Dzingel brings speed and offense. I wanted him signed with the Habs but he did not want to play in Canada and preferred a warmer destination.

Don't expect him to play center though, he's a winger.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
This is a good signing. Dzingel brings speed and offense. I wanted him signed with the Habs but he did not want to play in Canada and preferred a warmer destination.

Don't expect him to play center though, he's a winger.
Maybe he played center in Pee Wee. In 268 career games, he’s taken 185 faceoffs.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
And most of those were because his center got tossed from the circle.
Justin Williams took 240ish faceoffs last year, not all because the center was tossed. He was the only righty forward, so RBA would use him situationally. But Dzingel is a lefty, so he’d only be used if the center was tossed.

That brings up another quirk of the Canes roster. There is an abundance of right dmen and a paucity of righty forwards. Williams was the only one last year. If he doesn’t come back, Necas will be the only one this year.

Elsker

Noted earlier that he’s at less than one FO per game which means he’s better than the other winger at FO’s when their center gets tossed.

And he’s a career 40% which is 2 out of 5. Brind’Amour will show him how to get that third one. Need a safety guy on a line, so nice to see that in his toolbox.

One of the biggest fish left in the FA pool at reasonable term and fee. Fills a defined need.

And this is one destination contest we didn’t lose to Austin. :sarcasm

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
These 2 year contracts we’re seeing is because of the expansion draft for Seattle coming. You don’t have to protect UFA/RFA.

Elsker

Plus that will be when it’s time for Svechnikov to get paid.

Backfill from the depth as needed. Rinse. Repeat.

It’s almost like they have some kind of plan.

We’re not used to that. :sarcasm

cmaleski2

These 2 year contracts we’re seeing is because of the expansion draft for Seattle coming. You don’t have to protect UFA/RFA.
You have to protect your RFAs if you want to retain their rights. You don't get away with not having to protect your superstar kid coming off his entry level contract by not having him signed by the time the expansion draft rolls around. Vegas had 48 hours before the draft to talk contract with unprotected RFAs and UFAs. If you don't protect an RFA he is eligible to be either signed by Seattle in the 48 hours before the expansion draft (in which case Seattle takes that player as their pick) or selected by Seattle, becoming their unsigned RFA property.

Last edited: