• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

It was being refurbished. A pretty signifiant (and slow/delayed) upgrade.
It hosted soccer for the Pan American Games, which started right after the World Cup ended. The Pan Am games were centered around Toronto, which is also why BMO Field didn’t host any World Cup matches either.

So never mind…

The 4th place team in the final table just got what amounts a near certain World Cup spot. The intercontinental playoff opponent will be Oceania, AKA New Zealand. Asia will play South America. Unlike the prior two-legged playoffs, this is a one off in Qatar.

The 4th place team in the final table just got what amounts a near certain World Cup spot. The intercontinental playoff opponent will be Oceania, AKA New Zealand. Asia will play South America. Unlike the prior two-legged playoffs, this is a one off in Qatar.
I mean, yes ... but NOTHING is all that certain. Big advantage to dodge the CONMEBOL playoff opponent though.

Big window for the US. Two manageable home games sandwiched around a short trip to Hamilton. Hopefully Berhalter doesn't fall to the temptation to rotate too much and concentrate on Canada too much. Those other 6 points would have the US sitting pretty regardless of what happens against Canada.

Big window for the US. Two manageable home games sandwiched around a short trip to Hamilton. Hopefully Berhalter doesn't fall to the temptation to rotate too much and concentrate on Canada too much. Those other 6 points would have the US sitting pretty regardless of what happens against Canada.
Read an article yesterday questioning the wisdom of the two matches in Columbus and St. Paul. The essence of the article was about favorites using underdog tactics in an effort to "level the playing field". Pointed out that why give El Salvador and Honduras a chance to play a slog-it-out, super defensive match on a field where conditions don't give Americans as much of an advantage as it would seem.

Now if I could just find it again. ;)

Read an article yesterday questioning the wisdom of the two matches in Columbus and St. Paul. The essence of the article was about favorites using underdog tactics in an effort to "level the playing field". Pointed out that why give El Salvador and Honduras a chance to play a slog-it-out, super defensive match on a field where conditions don't give Americans as much of an advantage as it would seem.

Now if I could just find it again. ;)
Meh. We've seen just how well warm weather matches in the US against CONCACAF opponents go. I'd rather see the boys freeze their nuts off in the upper Midwest than play in Miami or LA in front a stadium with a sizable contingent screaming their lungs out for freaking El Salvador. People love to criticize virtually everything US Soccer does, but if there's one thing they've managed to learn it's that an actual home field is important. Personally, I'd love to see an actual National Stadium in the Midwest.

BTW ... last night showed just how much the US needs one of their strikers to get going. Ferriera didn't play badly, but his finishing was woeful. Zardes is a pressing machine but his finishing isn't good enough either. Pepi going glacier cold and sitting around for 6 weeks isn't helping either. Hopefully SOMEBODY out of the young pool will be going by WC time. Dike, Sargent, Clark, Pefok ... whatever. Otherwise we're going to have to figure out how to beat good teams with what amounts to a False 9.

Tim Weah didn’t travel to Canada, he didn’t meet the vaccination entry requirements. He had his first shot and then had Covid before his 2nd shot. He’s considered fully vaccinated in France but US Soccer says they only found out he wouldn’t be allowed in a few days ago. Considering that Canada has been clear about entry requirements from the start, that smells like jive.

I mean, yes ... but NOTHING is all that certain. Big advantage to dodge the CONMEBOL playoff opponent though.
Having watched all three, it's good they didn't draw the playoff team from AFC, either. UAE is beatable, but they are unlikely to get past whoever finishes third between Saudi Arabia, Japan and the Aussies. CONCACAF fourth place side against one of those three? Yeah, not good. So glad it's likely New Zealand.

Back