• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #31: DEC 7, 7:00, HNIC - Leafs @ Blues

Leafs held the Blue to 7 high danger chances tonight.

Under Keefe:

- 103 pt pace
- 52.66 CF% (8th)
- 2.28 xGA (15th)
- 53.4% xGF (8th)
- 17th in SV%
- 17th in SH%

7 of the 8 were playoff seeded teams at the time we played them.

Room for improvement, but things are moving in the right direction.
That Detroit game was a beauty to help that stats. They need to play them more.

Awesome, gotta think it's only going to go up with this teams talent.

You can see that we still struggle with the system sometimes. Not expecting passes and turning the puck over high in the zone because of it, etc.

Of course. I wonder about some people thinking they may only need 93-95 points to make it because the division isn't good this year. It's December folks. They'll need 97 at minimum.

97 minimum? That's bold given the shit show start everyone in the division has had other than Boston.

That game certainly makes things look better than reality with Keefe. They're a special kind of bad.

Well...that's how averages work. They looked worse than average against Philly, and better than average against Detroit.

Last edited:
Well...that's how averages look. They looked worse than average against Philly, and better than average against Detroit.
Not just better. They took a shit on Detroit. A dirty violent ferocious shit. Others games have been close to even at best.

@ STL 5-2 Win

@ VAN
@ CGY
@ EDM
vs BUF

@ NYR
vs DET
vs CAR
@ NJD
vs NYR
@ MIN

Next 10 games... 6/10 against non-playoff teams. Two of the playoff teams hold the last wildcard spot.

I want 14 points.

Andersen looks like a rock right now. Combine that with Keefe getting to the guys he wants to play, and well, could be a nice season.

Early on, still

Not just better. They took a shit on Detroit. A dirty violent ferocious shit. Others games have been close to even at best.

Well, there was that one time against the Coyotes where we had 75% of the high danger scoring chances and went 37-15 in scoring chances.

So no.

That's how average work Preston.

Before Keefe:

17.4pp% (#18) --- 3.2pp/gm
73.1pk% (#27) --- 3.4pk/gm

Since Keefe:

41.7pp% (#2) --- 1.5pp/gm
90.0pk% (#2) --- 2.5pk/gm

Opponent Strength (win%) under Keefe

COL #4 (w)
COL #4 (l)
STL #5 (w)
PHI #6 (l)
ARZ #11 (w)
BUF #21 (l)
BUF #21 (otw)
DET #31 (w)

Before Keefe:

17.4pp% (#18) --- 3.2pp/gm
73.1pk% (#27) --- 3.4pk/gm

Since Keefe:

41.7pp% (#2) --- 1.5pp/gm
90.0pk% (#2) --- 2.5pk/gm

I was curious how much of this might come down to changes in personnel, so I had a look.

Under Babcock this year:

BabcockSHTOI.jpg

...and under Keefe:

KeefeSHTOI.jpg

So really, not as much change as I actually might have thought. All of the top guys as far as TOI are essentially the same, though it looks like he's dialed back on the PK ice-time for his top guys and distributed it more evenly among all his regular PKers. The only changes that stand out as far as personnel are the substitution of Engvall for Shore and no Trevor Moore for Keefe (not by choice, obviously).

Goat's also not going to be a regular part of the PK going forward by virtue of the fact he won't be in the lineup every night, but in the games he has played, Keefe's put him out for about as much PK time as Babcock did.

So this sudden improvement has to be attributed mostly either to all these guys spontaneously becoming better penalty killers, or to a change in strategy and coaching.

Keefe said when he came in he used some of Hakstol’s suggestions on the PK didn’t he? Seems to me that Babs didn’t listen to him probably because Dubas picked him.

Which is why everyone who said he should’ve been fired after last season was correct. He made decisions to spite Dubas, it’s pretty fucking clear now.

Back