• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #33: DEC 12, 9:00, SN - Leafs @ Flames

zeke

This is the game that worried me when I looked at this trip. IMO flames have always been better on paper than the oilers or canucks, and now they're on a hot streak since their coaching change. This won't be an easy one.

Thankfully, Keefe has ended the Aberg 1st Liner experiment, and has given imo a well deserved promotion to kappy. I know Kappy didn't work out on the tavares-marner line, but for some reason I think he'll click much better with willy and auston. And IIRC this trio has actually never really been given any time together....i think. And since imo Kappy is bigger, faster, and more skilled than AJ....this has a chance to be a very good line that stays together even when we're healthy. And if people are worried about kappy apparently not being good on the left side, then hell, just swap sides with Willy.

Another nice move is that Engvall gets a much deserved promotion to the 3rd line in Kappy's spot, with Aberg going down to the now suddenly super skilled 4th line.

The lines are hard to match with the Flames because their new coach pretty much just split everybody up and is rolling 3 lines and seeing what happens. But I did my best:

20191212_140956.jpg

Jeremy

Been wanting a Kappy-Papi-Willy top line for awhile. They had a nice stretch together last year.

LeafGm

Not really sure about the idea of putting Kapanen back on left wing. He really looked ill-suited to playing on his off-wing during his stint with Tavares and Marner earlier this year. Not sure it'll be much different alongside Matthews and Marner.

Think I'd rather see Engvall or Mikheyev in that spot, and then keep Kapanen on Kerfoot's line.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I think the general idea is that Keefe wants to play his best players more, and Kapanen is definitely better than Engvall or Soupy. He doesn't want to be giving those guys 18-20 minutes a night by virtue of playing next to Auston Matthews.

zeke

This whole "no good on the left" thing sounds to me like a narrative without actual evidence.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
This whole "no good on the left" thing sounds to me like a narrative without actual evidence.
It was born in a dark time. A time when 22 million dollars worth of forwards were sucking cock to start the season and for some reason, it was deemed to be #KappysFault

uncus

This game worries me because Calgary likes to crash the net, and anderson might have to be more aware of the flame forwards than just pucks tonight.

LeafOfFaith

If I say what I think is gonna happen, I’ll jinx it and it won’t, but you can get the drift about my prediction tonight.

BeLeafer

resurrected
I don't mind Kappy getting a twirl on that line. Brings some umph and defensive acumen. I've never followed the Marlies closely but I presume Keefe knows he's okay on the left. He'll be a nice upgrade on Aberg, in any event.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
lol...Toronto media

- Leafs win a couple of games after Keefe takes over: Coaching change bump
- Leafs lose a couple of games after early streak: Honeymoon is over
- Leafs win a couple more after that: ehhhh...coaching change bump is back!!