• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Blackhawks 11/19 8:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes wrap up a 3 game roadie.

After overtime wins in Buffalo and Minnesota, the Canes can come home with all 6 points in their bags. They got away with some shoddy play and blew 2 goal leads in both games but got winners from Hamilton and Svech to get the wins. Haula was back for both, Martinook was back for the Minnesota game. But Haula is out for a while and Eetu Luostarinen was recalled. Haula had played 1 game at 3C, so expect Wallmark to slide into that spot again, as well as Haula’s spot on the PP. But Wallmark doesn’t provide the net front presence on the PP that Haula does.

The Blackhawks are on a roll of late, 6-2-2 in their last 10, with 4 wins in a row and a 6 game point streak, giving them 22 points in 20 games. Kane leads with 11 goals, 15 assists. Toews is struggling, with 4 goals, 7 assists and is one of only a handful of minus players on the team. Lehner and Crawford have split time in goal, each starting 10 games. Lehner has picked up where he left off with the Islanders, with 2.46 GAA and .936 save % that’s 3rd in the league. Crawford has a good save % at .914 but a GAA north of 3. Crawford played on Sunday, so expect Lehner tonight. For a team with as much top end talent as they have, their PP is 26th at 14.5%. They’re 18th on the PK at 80.0%

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
That Blackhawks game in the PNC the other week was fairly testy for two teams who don't see each other much, so I guess that's worth keeping an eye on. Carolina is a bit raggedy in terms of health right now, with Huala out and several other guys playing at less than full steam. I haven't watched Chicago since the Canes beat them in late October so I won't pretend to know what their current vibe might be, but they strike me as a team that's playing with a chip on their collective shoulder. All those proud vets clearly don't like to written off before the season even starts.

Either way, their defense is still garbage and still slow. Carolina should match up well with this crowd if they go get their skating boots on. Work for the open ice and you'll get it ... and need it if Lehner is starting because beating him requires volume. Let Chicago bog things down in the neutral zone and you won't get the chance to generate the volume of chances required. Simple math on this one.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
We saw Crawford at the end of October. The last time we saw Lehner was game 4 of the conference semi-finals in May and he got chased. Nino had his first of the season, he’s only had 1 since.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Lehner may have gotten chased in that game, but he was a freaking wall in that series ... and for the bulk of the year. Beating him generally requires wearing him down and making him stop a ton of rubber.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Aside from Wallmark moving up to 3C and Luostarinen at 4C, the lineup is unchanged. Mrazek in goal.

Punzil

Necas scores on a 2-on-0. 1-0.

Svech scores early in the 2nd. 2-0 Canes.

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Kane has taken over this game. I’m not sure he’s left the ice in the last 5 minutes of game time.

CanadaCanes

The Marley Drug commercial just in time to hopefully give the Canes a boost during the final stretch here late! Gotta hold on, played far too well to not get the win.

Punzil

This is gonna be the longest final minutes of the season so far...

Lehner pulled. No repeat this time allowing another 6th attacker goal, right?

Wallmark wide of the EN.

Slavin wide of the EN... icing.

Hamilton wide of the EN, another icing.

Aho finally seals it with the empty netter. 4-2.

Last edited: