• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Caps, Game 7, 4/24, 7:30 pm Eastern

ThinIce

Great team effort tonight. The officials must have been texting, because they made no calls late in the game. We dominated the OTs and deserved to win, but I just kept thinking that Ovechkin was going to slap a one-timer and that would be it. Gotta give credit to this no-quit team and their coach. Way to go, boys!

Also, loved seeing Mrazek hug Brindy after the game.....

bandwagon

Justin Williams was my favorite player before his firstgame seven point. I am that cool, The Islanders should be scared of us.

JamesNorthern

Team effort. Brock? My lord, 1g 1a... scored the game winner but also, perhaps forgotten in all the little bitty pieces and battles we did win, he saved our asses by clearing the crease in the third with the game tied at 3. He was named TSN's man of STIHL for that play last night.

CanadaCanes

Brindy really out coached Reirden all series long, some of the in game adjustments Brindy made were just better then what Reirden tried to do. At one point in this series the Canes were down 3 forwards in their top 9 and still found a way!

ThinIce

The key to beating the Caps was an aggressive forecheck and denying Ovechkin time and space. We didn't do that consistently in this series, but we did it well enough - especially as the games went on and the Caps were feeling gassed. Except for a few spurts of offense, the Caps looked like dead men skating for much of the OT periods. Of course, it only takes one good shot and the Caps are highly skilled opportunists, but we finally found the break we needed with that amazing pass by Willy and a great tap in by McGinn.

Did I read somewhere that win McGinn scores a goal, we almost always win?

bagopux

Canes go down 2-0 in the game, and in the series, and come back to win the game, and the series, 4-3. Weird. The series sort of matched the Canes game. Start slow, fall behind, get in gear, and dominate in the end.

Dougie Hamilton led all players in Game 7 with 8 hits, even knocking down Wilson one time.

I am unbelievably impressed with Brind'Amour.

Hamilton the Pig
Justin Williams, Brock McGinn
I am very tired.

That's a haiku, people.

JamesNorthern

Canes go down 2-0 in the game, and in the series, and come back to win the game, and the series, 4-3. Weird. The series sort of matched the Canes game. Start slow, fall behind, get in gear, and dominate in the end.

Dougie Hamilton led all players in Game 7 with 8 hits, even knocking down Wilson one time.

I am unbelievably impressed with Brind'Amour.

Hamilton the Pig
Justin Williams, Brock McGinn
I am very tired.

That's a haiku, people.
I was thinking the same. After we spotted them 2 games, we won 4 of 3. And if you ignore the 6-0 game, we were by far the better team in those 4 wins. Even if not perfect games respectively. Our youth and determination really outdid the Caps. Trotz huh? Now that's gonna be a challenge...

On Dougie. At times, he can look ackward out there. But on the overall? I think he's a good asset and a bit of a head scratcher at times, this _unpredictability_ HELPS. Like an x factor. He got his ass handed to him with that solid check BUT... as said, had 8 hits in the game and was on the right side of the ice when that puck crossed the line.

Boardwork

After we got down two (or around then), didn't Brindy basically reshuffle the whole team. New D pairings (Slavin/Pesce, DeHaan/Faulk, TVR/Hamilton) and the forwards as well.

He was loathe to change things up in the regular season, but the staff saw something and they made all the right moves.

SlapShots

I think they said this was the third longest game 7 in NHL history!

I'm still geeked and gobsmacked about our team!

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Whew .... morning after thoughts:

Brock McGinn puts one in ... awesome final sequence that was a basic recap of both OT sessions. Carolina had younger, fresher legs and just had a LOT more in the tank in OT. Williams, the lone oldster, gutted out shift after shift keeping up with the pups and made the winning goal happen with a great check that created one of the bang/bang loose pucks that cause every team big problems. He changes sides, collects the loose change and flings a hopeful spinner near the net. It's the kind of play you make when you have the confidence to try stuff and see how it goes. McGinn gets his due reward for a wonderful all around game by getting all of the deflection for once. Done deal. Perfect that it ended on a hard work goal that came from the forecheck instead of something pretty.

OT domination ... honestly, like a lot of you (and Brindy), I got the feeling that the Caps were going to steal that game with one of those out of the blue, against the run of play goals that often happen in the playoffs. But, nah. Carolina kicked their collective asses in the OTs. They just skated them into the ground. Conditioning, youth, collective will ... whatever. The Canes had it in OT and the defending champs did not. The better team won, plain and simple.

Defensive adjustments ... we ALL know that Brind'Amour coached rings around Reirden but the Canes staff really shone on the defensive adjustments they made last night. I mean, sure ... going to the Pesce/Slavin pairing is a Canes staple when things get tough, but they also did an awesome job of the matchups they created otherwise. Keeping Hamilton away from Ovechkin was big, but leaning on Faulk and deHaan was just as big. I thought deHaan was Carolina's best defenseman last night, but give Faulk credit. The staff really put those two under a ton of pressure as that game went along and they both just chewed it up and spit it out like it was no big deal. By moving Hamilton and TVR down to the third forward group, the staff put Faulk and deHaan out in extended offensive situations that required a lot of pinching and jumping in to offensive possession followed immediately by quick recoveries into the D zone. They were all but flawless. It was a big deal guys, and we noticed. Thanks.

Giving it your best when it counts ... so many guys stepped up with monumental efforts that it's not funny. Kegger was everywhere as he and Maenalanen were a huge pain in the ass all night. Foegele got absolutely robbed a few times and never stopped throwing his body around. Nino played by far his best game of the series. Turbo was amazing in all three zones. Aho gutted it out through whatever is wrong with his wrist/hand/elbow/shoulder and gave them that brilliant shorty as well as creating tons of turnovers on the forecheck. Jordan Staal was nothing short of heroic out there. Williams was Williams, and I've already mentioned McGinn who was awesome. Once they got going, everybody got in on the act and everybody made plays in all three zones. That's Canes hockey.

This feels just amazing after a looooooooong decade of not really being able to even watch the playoffs until round two after the disappointment wore off.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
After we got down two (or around then), didn't Brindy basically reshuffle the whole team. New D pairings (Slavin/Pesce, DeHaan/Faulk, TVR/Hamilton) and the forwards as well.

He was loathe to change things up in the regular season, but the staff saw something and they made all the right moves.
He shuffled the forwards then, but didn't really stick with the changes on D until we went down 3-1. TVR went out for a bit with a turned ankle and when he came back the D pairings were re-set for the rest of the game.

HNIM

Going into March, I was just hoping that they would somehow make the playoffs, and if they did, maybe please just win a playoff game? Just one? The best part of last night to me is knowing that going into next season, we have a really young group that have won a playoff SERIES together. That's way more than the baby step I was hoping for.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
One more stray thought on officiating.

Look, I know what the NHL is doing when they assign two veteran refs for a Game 7. They're looking for two guys to "manage the game" and keep things at least vaguely civil. They won't call much, but supposedly they won't miss the calls that matter. What a crock. Joanette and Pollock not only managed to miss an automatic delay of game against Washington in the first OT, they turned right around and called the exact same penalty on the Canes in the second OT. I'm sorry ... people screw up and officiating at this level is somewhere between hard and impossible, but THAT CANNOT HAPPEN. EVER.

Worse, they completely abdicated any effort to keep things even on the ice. Yeah, nobody wants to see a Game 7 with 25 power plays, but when Wilson runs the goaltender (with the puck 50 feet up the ice) 5 feet in front of you, it's GOT to be called. When Orpick goes for his 10th headshot of the game, you MUST call it. And just to make sure I'm clear here ... when Martinook tackles Ovechkin from behind and slams his head to the ice away from the puck, you MUST call that as well. You don't want to, but you HAVE to. God, but the officiating in this league is a travesty.

JFG

Yes, I noticed the D change in the 3rd. Brilliant move by RBA.