• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flyers 11/5 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A quick trip north for a divisional tilt.

The Canes finished the homestand 3-1 but it was the last game that left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. They’re 3rd in the division, 1 point behind the stealing Islanders and 2 points ahead of the Pens. After an off day on Sunday, everyone but Haula practiced yesterday; he has a little “hiccup“ according to RBA. He also said that Fleury will get back in the lineup soon but didn’t say who he’d replace.

The Flyers are 6-5-2 for 14 points, 5 behind the Canes. They’re 4-1-1 at home though. After scoring 17 goals last season, Oskar Lindblom already has 7 this year. Travis Konecny has 6 to go with a team leading 8 assists. Brian Elliott and Carter Hart have each played 8 games in goal but each has been pulled in the last week. Neither are having a great season, both have a GAA over 3, Elliott‘s save % is .901, Hart is at .867. Their PP is 8th, right behind the Canes at 23.5. They’re 34.6% at home though, 2nd in the league. They’re 12th on the PK at 82.5%

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Carter Hart?

Flyers are one of those teams that you need to get ahead of early to discourage them, because if they get to their game they can frustrate the heck out of you.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I suggest that lot of Hart and Elliott's bad stats are tied directly to the D in front of them. Philly had a bit of a churn in the D this summer, but left themselves with Provorov, Gostisbehere, Niskanen and a collection of kids and stiffs to round out the 6. Niskanen is slowing markedly, as Canes fans will remember from the last time we saw him ... getting lapped by Carolina's forwards in the Washington series last spring. The Ghost tries hard in his own end but is largely an offensive player and Provorov is asked to carry a LOT of water. It's just not a great mix, and they leak quality chances on the regular ... thus they ask their goalies to stand on their heads a lot.

As CM said, best to put the hammer down early. The Flyers are pretty good at a grinding possession game and dangerous enough offensively ... especially at home. Plus, they've got some clutch scorers and Lindblom is white hot ... and they always give good effort at home. Once again, the underbelly is soft, if you do the heavy lifting to make it matter. Claw through the neutral zone, get to the possession game and get a road W ... don't and you won't.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Fleury is in tonight. Haula’s “little hiccup” prevented him from making the trip to Philly. So I guess Wallmark goes to 3C and they’ll alternate a center on the 4th line. I just hope Fleury gets more than the 90 seconds he got the last time he dressed.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Tell you what. All this nickel and diming on the cap account better freaking be adding up to something, because otherwise this is just dumb. Rolling with 11 forwards just to save money isn't what competitive teams do in this league. I know Dundon is all about challenging norms, but sometimes they are norms for good bloody reason.

ThinIce

Need to see a solid bounce-back in terms of our compete level and execution. The last two home games (a win and a loss) revealed some performance lapses that need to be corrected.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Tell you what. All this nickel and diming on the cap account better freaking be adding up to something, because otherwise this is just dumb. Rolling with 11 forwards just to save money isn't what competitive teams do in this league. I know Dundon is all about challenging norms, but sometimes they are norms for good bloody reason.
Conceptually, I agree. But we’re rolling 11 forwards tonight because Haula is hurt and didn't travel. For now at least there are 21 on the roster.

Elsker

Because that 11 forwards and 7 defensemen thing has just been working great for us...

It's not like we got a hot center right now (other than Haula) that we would just love to double-shift. More likely the bench gets shortened late in the game.

If Haula did not travel then they certainly had enough notice and time for someone to fly from Charlotte to Philadelphia to join the team.

I'm with jeffbear. Although I suspect this is not just about cap gaming. This is probably just as much about Brindy being comfortable only with his boys...plus he loved double-shifting as a player.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Conceptually, I agree. But we’re rolling 11 forwards tonight because Haula is hurt and didn't travel. For now at least there are 21 on the roster.
Only because we don't have an extra forward on the active roster like virtually every NHL team in the history of ever. This is self inflicted and I'm just saying I hope it pays off one day, because thus far it has sucked.

HeyKurtz

Only because we don't have an extra forward on the active roster like virtually every NHL team in the history of ever. This is self inflicted and I'm just saying I hope it pays off one day, because thus far it has sucked.
We are one of only two teams in the league (Tampa is the other) with only 21 players on the roster. Ten teams are carrying 22 players and the remaining 18 teams are at the 23 player maximum.

HeyKurtz

I've seen it reported in a few places that Jason Shaya is filling in for The Mighty Forslund tonight. Johnny is calling the Habs-Bruins game on NBCSN.

HurryCanes

Forsland was just on the radio with Adam and Joe and one of them remarked that Haula’s injury might be an again/off again situation throughout the year?

Pucking Lamplighter

All right, since I didn't tune in until it was already 1-0 Phlyers and Jason Shaya is calling the game, What is the over/under for the number of times Shaya says "Fires" or "Fired one" in the second period? I'm going with 13. What say you?

HurryCanes

Thru two, this is one boring, sloppy game. Canes need to tighten up in the third and put some passes on some tape.

HNIM

Flyers' second man in over the blue line has been beating the defender. That HAS to stop.

CanadaCanes

Thru two, this is one boring, sloppy game. Canes need to tighten up in the third and put some passes on some tape.
I agree, sloppy, boring and frankly neither team looks like they really care much about this one. Where is the passion and fire from the Canes? Two straight games against arguably weaker opponents and the Canes just look flat overall and both against divisional teams.