• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Kings 10/15 10:30

Yeah, when the guy gets hurt I'm OK with the refs leaning towards making a call even if it's soft. Same with that penalty that Fleury drew against Columbus over the weekend. That probably wasn't enough of a hook to warrant a call had it not been just enough to throw Fleury off balance and send him into the boards. Pretty much the same with Staal last night ... Doughty turned weirdly and angled into the corner, and it was barely even a hit ... but the guy is laying in a heap at the end of the the sequence. Fine ... call those.

General thoughts ... not a great first period to be sure, but LA came out fired up and pretty much emptied the tank all at once at the beginning of the game. Mr Azek was there for the Canes while they were on their heels, which is exactly what you want from your No. 1. Once Carolia got on level footing, it was always going to be theirs if they could finish. Nice sequence from Dzingle to set up Necas, and I really like that the reason Necas found that open space in the slot was that he was being defensively solid covering the point. Otherwise he never gets that look. Positive reinforcement about playing a complete game for the young forward. I don't think I've ever actually watched Campbell play a full game in goal before ... he had a nice game.

Went to bed after the first and was frankly surprised to see the result this morning when I woke up. I thought the first period seemed like a continuation of the Blue Jackets game, but was very happy to see the resiliency return to this team. It's absolutely needed to power us through the season. Necas is looking more comfortable with each game he plays. Sure, he makes rookie mistakes, but the talent is surfacing a lot more, too.

Necas is showing why you need patience with young forwards who play an offensive game. And kudos to Brindy for actually being patient with him. The kid plays an almost avant garde game, seeing passing angles that nobody else sees, and it requires line mates who will adjust to him as much as requiring him to adjust. The thing with Necas is that we'll never see his best if the Canes do the typical NHL thing and break the kid down until he conforms to the team's "way of doing things." Props to Mike Vellucci for finding the kid's combination last season and to Brindy for not messing with it.

Back