• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Devils 11/2 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Back at it against another bottom feeder.

After last night’s track meet, this one should be a bit slower. Expect Reimer in goal.

The Devils also played last night, losing to the Flyers in a shootout. They have 2 wins and 8 points in the season. Taylor Hall is healthy and has 2 goals, 9 assists. Kyle Palmieri had a hat trick on Wednesday. Mackenzie Blackwood okayed last night, so we should see Cory Schneider in goal. He’s been bad, 4.71/.847 stat line. They average 2.82 goals per game, 20th in the league but they’re next to last with 4.00 goals against per game.

I "backloaded" my STM plan, so tonight is my first game since Opening Night...can't wait!

The temptation is to call this Friday night part 2, and that won't work. The Devs might have the same stats as the Red Wings, but they're actually coached to play a recognizable system. They might suck at defending, but they at least suck in a system. Detroit, not so much. So all that Fancy Dan crap that the Canes got away with on Friday won't work on Saturday. Sharp, disciplined puck movement and getting your speed going on the wings will. So ... do that.

Reimer should be fine. He's basically a career backup at this point and should be used to sitting for a stretch between starts. My expectations for him start at competence, so scoring a few relatively early would take the pressure off him and be a good idea in general. Carolina has either started molten lava hot or very, very ploddingly of late, so that's something to work on. It would be nice to go get straight into the possession game right away instead of kind of feeling your way into it the way they've largely done this year. Like Roddy said last night, this team is bleeping scary when they get to their top level ... but ramping up as definitely been an issue.

Good thing we're going to the game because our DIRECTV signal is pixeling like crazy right now.

Edit: it seems to be limited to certain channels in the 200s. Maybe satellite specific.

Last edited:
Foe-goal! 1-0 Canes.

Equalizer by Wood. 1-1.

Turbo from Svech on the power play, 2-1 Canes.

Hughes scored on an avoidable Hamilton penalty... 2-2.

Last edited:
Earlier I was gonna say get Huala off the ice as he was loafing, but then he wasn’t the only one. Now he scores. Great goal

More Mrazek less Reimer! Reimer has only himself to blame for a couple stinky ones against tonight.
The last goal yes, for sure. Very bad play on giving the puck to the devil which started the whole thing off.
the canes have been very slow tonight, losing the races to the puck, bad penalties, very bad no look passing, etc.

...and the empty net seals the game for the Devils. :mad:🤬

Forslund: The Canes 3-game winning streak snapped at the hands of the hapless Devils.

They apparently found their hap tonight.

Last edited:
Riemer's worst game. And lacksidaisial play from the canes with only 1 or two races won = loss

I’ve never saw an NHL goaltender so passive and deep in his net with pucks that come from behind the goal as Reimer seems to be. There were at least 3 times tonight where he was so deep that he could never use his stick to defend or bat the puck into the corner. That’s dead center slot for the opposition if you simply let those pucks come out.

Back