• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Devils 2/14 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes finally return home. Earlier start time too. All Friday games the rest of the season start at 7:00.

The Canes only picked up 4 of 8 points on their recent roadie and have fallen farther behind in the standings. They’re 4 behind both Columbus and Philly, with 2 games in hand on both, and 5 behind the Isles. Svech stayed with Aho and Turbo at practice yesterday. Dzingel didn’t practice but is expected to play.

The Devils are 4-1-3 since the All Star break but remain mired in the Metro basement, 10 points behind the Rangers. They beat Detroit last night 4-1, with all 4 goals coming in the 3rd. Wayne Simmonds had 2 goals. Damon Severson is on a 8 game point streak. Kyle Palmieri and Blake Coleman have 21 goals. Nikita Gusev has 22 assists. Palmieri is one of the only + players at +4. Last year’s 1st overall pick, Jack Hughes, has 7g, 13a but is -18. PK Subban only has 13 points and is -15. Reputed Canes trade target Sami Vatanen hasn’t played since 2/1 and is on IR. Nico Hischier is day to day and isn’t expected to play. Blackwood played in goal last night, so we’ll probably see Louis Domingue tonight. His numbers are not good, 3.74/.882 in 14 games. The Devils are 23rd in goals per game at 2.73 but 30th in goals against at 3.39. They’re 27th on the PP at 16.3% and 15th on the PK at 80.4%

If I were the Hurricanes, I would call up the Devils and propose that both teams get one point and not bother playing the game. The alternative is that they play the game and the Hurricanes get smoked, 6-1.

As bad as the Devs have been this year, the slightest improvement from Blackwood since the Break has made a difference in their competitiveness. It's like 75% of the trick to winning in this league comes down to competent goaltending or something ... hint, it does. So yeah, good to see Domingue in net tonight, if it falls that way. Because, as much as I hate the "must win game" nonsense, this is a game that Carolina REALLY needs to win. None of that first game back from a roadie crap. This is a "lesser opponent and you need these points, so go get them" kind of scenario. I don't care about style points either. Just figure it out.

I've always hated watching the Devils play the Canes. It seems like for years it's been the same plodding, grinding game that frustrates players and fans alike. The Canes need a win badly and they haven't looked like the same tough-to-play-against team in over a month. I have no clue what will happen.

Dzingel took the morning skate and will play. Michael Smith says Mrazek in goal.

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Haula-Necas
Dzingel-Wallmark-Williams

Slavin-van Riemsdyk
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Edmundson

I've always hated watching the Devils play the Canes. It seems like for years it's been the same plodding, grinding game that frustrates players and fans alike. The Canes need a win badly and they haven't looked like the same tough-to-play-against team in over a month. I have no clue what will happen.
Yeah. I haven't seen the Devs play under Nasreddine yet ... because why would I ... but I cannot imagine they play a lot differently than they did under Hynes.

First time the Canes have scored first in seven games!? 1-0 from Nino.

Devils get it back pretty quick, though.

Foegele puts the Canes back on top, 2-1.

Tic-tac-Svech. 3-1 Canes.

Last edited:
They're calling Aho's line the SAT line? Svech-Aho-Turbo...

Sounds like a Necas tip ricocheted in. 4-1

Last edited:
It was a great win, but we were pretty horrible for the start of the game and we're lucky that the Devils aren't very good. The SAT line is starting to look dangerous on every shift, but we need to get our defensive lapses taken care of. Can't have that happening against quality opponents. OK, enough being a killjoy - it was nice to get a solid win.

The pass from Aho to Turbo was pretty amazing, too.
Sweet passing sequence all around ... Svech with the soft drop pass to Aho, after which he cuts to the post. Aho ripped a pass to Turbo on the opposite wing, followed by Turbo's laser to Svech who is now wide open thanks to consecutive cross ice passes stretching the D like salt water taffy. That's freaking lethal.

Back