• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Flyers 11/21 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes look to extend a 4 game winning streak against the reeling Flyers.

The Canes return home for a 2 game mini-homestand after the most successful road trip in franchise history. Nino got off the schneid with his first goal since 11/1 and also added an assist. Wallmark had 2 assists, Edmundson extended his point streak to 4 games after holding a ceremony for his broken stick.

The Flyers have followed up a 4 game winning streak, that started with a win over the Canes, with a 4 game losing streak that includes 2 shootout losses. But they’re only 3 points behind the Canes and sit in the 2nd wildcard spot. Oskar Lindholm leads with 9 goals, more than halfway to last year’s full season total. Travis Konecny has 12 assists and 20 points. Carter Hart and Brian Elliott have identical GAA at 2.72, Hart has a .896 save %, Elliott is at .913. Hart was pulled on Tuesday after allowing 4 goals on 18 shots in 30 minutes against Florida. The Flyers are 15th on the PP at 20.3% and 6th in the PK at 85.2%

ThinIce

Winning is good. Winning against a divisional opponent is gooder. Let's get it done tonight, boys!

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... Philly dropped a couple of tightly contested 2-1 games to Ottawa and Washington to snap their win streak and then responded by playing like hot garbage in their last two ... barfing up 5 goals to the Panthers and 4 to the buttoned down Islanders. I'd say overall this season, the Flyers have played above their heads a bit, especially considering that their big name forwards haven't done much. Konecny and Lindblom have carried them while Giroux, Voracek and JVR have sputtered along erratically. That D is weirdly constructed and the game plan for Carolina is simple. Get the pace up and keep it there. It's not much different than the approach for Chicago ... just go do that again.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
No lineup changes from Tuesday. Mrazek goes in goal again.
I wonder when the concern about over-working him kicks in. I know the Canes made a big deal in negotiations about not paying him like a workhorse goalie because they liked him better as a platoon guy, but since October 18th he's started10 out of 14 games ... which is pushing a 60 start pace for the season ... which is a LOT more than I think they had in mind. Remember that the most starts he's ever had in an NHL season was 54 for 2015-16 Red Wings. Of course that was also his best pro season, so ... whatever. I'm pretty much just wondering how long the team lets Reimer get paid $3.1 million to mind the door to the bench. Not that they wouldn't be paying him the same amount to platoon in Charlotte if they decided to make a change ... because NOBODY is taking on that contract. And in case you're wondering it will cost almost that much again to buy him out after the season thanks to his bonus structure.

cmon3

I'm pretty much just wondering how long the team lets Reimer get paid $3.1 million to mind the door to the bench. Not that they wouldn't be paying him the same amount to platoon in Charlotte if they decided to make a change ... because NOBODY is taking on that contract. And in case you're wondering it will cost almost that much again to buy him out after the season thanks to his bonus structure.
I think you answered your own question. They’ll let him play a few as backup until he gets it together and plays more, or they have someone else they want to get some limited NHL level experience because financially it makes no difference right?

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Elliott in goal for Philly.

Buying out Reimer after the season will save less than $600k against the cap next season. He might be tradeable after next season’s $2.25 million bonus is paid, if it’s to a cash strapped but cap rich team. He can also be buried in Charlotte for a $1 million cap savings.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
That's true. After his bonus is paid, Reimer would only be due $850K in actual salary. At that point you could probably find a taker.

Punzil

Aho gets a gift wrapped 5-hole goal. 1-0 Canes.

Turbo time on the power play! 2-0.

Flyers get one back on the Dzingel delay of game penalty. 2-1.

Another penalty, and the game is tied. 2-2.

Last edited:

Punzil

The initial penalty was Slashing, he argued about it and they tacked on 10 for misconduct.

Last edited:

Punzil

Shorty by Philly... 3-2.

On the power play... passing... passing... passing... broken up. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Punzil

Wallmark's 3rd of the season ties it at 3.

Flyers get it back again. 4-3.

Last edited:

HurryCanes

I’m beginning to worry about Gardiner. Dude has been playing poor defense and just in general has not been sharp. Poor (blind) passes, etc etc.
Dude might need a tour of the press box. Uggh