• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Islanders 10/11 7:30

Turbo has a point in every game, Svech has 2 points per game in four straight, Edmundson and Gauthier are the only Canes without a point so far this season, and it was Julien's first game.

They have some issues staying out of the penalty box, though.

Haula now only on pace for about 65 goals. Trade him.

26 more breaks his own personal best in a season.
36 more puts him on a level with only 2 other Canes legends.
42 more would set the bar in Raleigh.
53 more would set the new franchise record.
89 more would be Gretzky... just sayin'.

This team means business so far out of the gate. Without tooting our own horn too much, just great hockey from everyone. No weak spots on this team, depth everywhere! Fun to watch.

When did Fleury get that nasty streak?
Been hanging out with Edmunson. A positive influence.
Oh and just wow. What a start to this season, this team is by far the most complete, aggressive forechecking edition ever to hit the ice. They are flying out there. A couple of times earlier in the game the camera panned to he 'Enders (NOT) bench and I caught of couple just absolutely gased on the bench and one shaking his head....insert thought "you've got to be kidding me??"
This was the most complete game yet and there were still many areas I think we can work on, particularly the penalties although Tim Peel it whichever way you slice it sure didn't help much tonight.
That powerplay... I have never seen one so good. Has it been that long? (05-06) That's probably the next best squad depth wise, but a more veteran affair compared to this team.

The Isles had 11 shots on goal in the last 2 periods. Only 3 were at 5v5.

The 05-06 power play wasn’t that good in the regular season, they converted 17.9%. Last year’s awful, brutal power play? 17.8%. The PP came alive in the playoffs, converting 24%

Wonderful performance last night, with a great crowd. Still a few too many Isle's fans, but that comes from living in a city that people are moving to, not from.

So much good is happening on this team right now. Except for about 12 minutes in the 2nd period, we dominated the play. We're not only more talented, but we're playing extremely well positionally. Hamilton could have been our first star for almost all 5 games this season - he's been that good. Edmondson almost got his first goal (cross bar), but he has really done what we needed him to do - a shutdown, hard-checking defender.

Glad to see Svech get his first goal, but even without it, he's been a force to be reckoned with - all over the ice, making great passes. I think that is the thing that impresses me the most so far this season: our speed and passing.

We are very fast. Gave up 2 shots on goal in the 3rd. We’re not allowing any space and time when we play our game. When Aho gets the points going look out. Also getting TVR back.

It’s got to be exciting for the guys to see how much they can dominate the ice when they play their game.

Thoughts on that win over the Isles ... looking to fill in the gaps and not repeat any of the above ...

Crowd ... nice to see people come out, but we still have some things to learn/teach this newly energized fan base. First ... yes. There WILL be opposing fans in the building, especially when it's a team from an area that has been pumping transplants into the Raleigh market for several decades. Pittsburgh, NYR, NYI, Buffalo, Detroit ... it's a thing. Get used to it and learn how to act like freaking grownups. The other fans will chant ... it's not an insult or an invitation to fight. Out-chant them and call it a day. Especially if the team is from the NY area, their fans will have aggressive accents and maybe talk some smack. Again, NOT an invitation to fight or act like an ass in return. This is the South. Learn how to treat people and be good hosts. Basically, don't be idiots. Rant over.

The start ... I didn't really like Carolina's start that much. They really kicked it into gear around the middle of the 2nd period, but they got too easily bogged down in the Isles neutral zone swamp early on and responded with a lot of impatient stretch passes. No matter the disparity in talent, Trotz's teams make you work in a very specific way to break them down. Carolina eventually got down to doing that work, but it certainly took awhile. A couple of isolated rushes kind of papered over a fairly rough start.

Mrazek ... honestly, his numbers haven't been good but the guy hasn't really been a problem. Boychuk absolutely vaporized one right on the far post and dead flat on the ice for their 2nd. There ain't a lot you can do with one of those. I will say however, that Mr Azek still needs to work to tamp down his aggression and tendency to over-commit once he goes down to his knees. That aggression works in his favor a lot of times, but smart teams use it against him like the Isles did on that first goal, which he turned into a tap-in by over-reacting to the flow of the puck. I'm not trying to be hyper-critical here. I'd just like to see Pete grow into the starter's job and for my money that tendency is his biggest issue.

PK ... it's one thing to be as aggressive as the Canes are with the puck 5v5 and quite another to let that same level of aggression carry over to the penalty kill. Details, boys. Details. Positioning first, THEN try to make a play on the puck.

Overall ... say what you want about Trotz but he scouts every game like it's a playoff game. The Isles came in looking to shut down a few of Carolina's early tendencies and were largely successful, but the Canes blew through that by swarming in numbers. I really like the reaction by the Canes. Good game, solid win.

Crap, would you be looking forward to playing this team?
Some thoughts on the game and season to date:
- Niederreiter gets off the schneid. Hopefully that lad can get some consistency.
- Svechnikov, ok, I've started to accept what the scouts were saying about him, uber talented, power forward, not shy to mix it up, will add gets in your face, pain in the ass, runs his body around out there (keep your head up) and on a dime, can make the opposition pay with a sweet pass or selection from his arsenal of shots. Oh he's also got some sweet power moves that will eventually start to pay off more consistently. He's everything we expected of him, at least seems to be really on track. Ok, so he takes some penalties. I can live with that if the rest of his game stays top notch elite... like it is, and he still has boats of room to grow. I tried to explain to my son about how lucky we were to get him, how the draft works....>
- Necas, Haula, Dzingle... idk why I grouped them, nothing but good stuff to say. One thing I will point out, although he still needs to develop his game more, Necas still continues to show extreme poise that he didn't from the first stint with us last year. I have a real hard time seeing him being sent down now... unless he burns out or something. But can anyone honestly see that happening with all this depth??
- Fleury ok he's slowly showing some flashes, but I really think he's hit his ceiling with us. It will be interesting to see how things are when TVR gets back, but I would prefer TVR in there (personally think he is very underrated among our group)if only to do the obvious and balance out the pairings..
- Gauthier had a simple game. While he didn't score, he didn't look bad out there. I like it when your call-up can stand his own in the opposition crease on a play blown dead. You know, normally we'd have a mighty midget getting tossed around but trying to play like he's 10 foot tall. Those were the days....
- Edmunson I like his game. He somewhat reminds me of Sean Hill... but more overall talent, better timeliness with his hits, but he definitely has a "get the f@#!' off my space kind of play to his game. He's been much better than I expected, and I thought we'd be alright when learning we'd acquire him. He's been a nice welcome addition, compliment to our D corp.
- Dougie.... my lord. As an aside, I hate Tripp. Either he's getting better at what he does or with age I'm sliding into Tripp Syndrome. Bugger keeps stealing my thoughts during games. Although I still find he wayyyyy over dose his accoladeshe's always doling out and like many am always leery that its gonna be bad karma and lead to a goal (like earlier in the year when he was all over Edmunson, who then aptly turned the puck over and led to a goal). That being said... yeah, Dougie is in the ZONE right now. Everything he does on the ice is like bloody magic. From his very first shift he set the tone. Phenomenal, solid, tape to tape, zone eating passes..he is like dialed. It goes without saying, we are seeing him play the best hockey of his career and also a first, he and his team being a very good fit. So excited to see him trot out there as our number one D on the PP....
- Faulk... Look he was good, but this team has stuck to its guns and I think made the moves that previous management was always reluctant and afraid to make. We all knew Skinner was... well Skinner. Same as Faulk. Although I do miss Lindholm and Hanifin to some degree, I cannot argue with the results.
- Turbo... is he the best player on our team? Hard to say, depending on which team we're talking about right? Cause right now, its Turbo time for every Cane!

- Faulk... Look he was good, but this team has stuck to its guns and I think made the moves that previous management was always reluctant and afraid to make. We all knew Skinner was... well Skinner. Same as Faulk. Although I do miss Lindholm and Hanifin to some degree, I cannot argue with the results.

The thing with all four of those guys is that even though they were and are quality hockey players, they are all VERY specific players with VERY specific skill sets. That's not really a good fit with the kind of system that Brindy is building here. I think of the lot, Lindy comes closest to actually fitting the requirements but I was never sold that he was willing to do the work required to take his offensive game where it needed to be. He's in a situation now in Calgary where he can be a bit of a passenger in terms of driving play and still produce. He never had that luxury here and I don't think it's what Brindy wants out of his wingers, at all. I think Hanifin is capable of playing the game any way he wants. I just don't think he wanted to play the way Roddy wants the Canes to play. Which is fine. Not every system is a fit for everybody.

When the Canes talked about culture change people immediately read into that and think that the guys they've shipped out are somehow bad players or bad in the room. I don't think that's the case with any of those guys. Culture is also about how you play the game on the ice and how you do so within the structure of the 5 man unit on any one shift. THAT is what has changed about this team more than anything. 5 guys buying in 100% and playing together.

Back