• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Sens 11/11 7:00

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Gardiner isn't as bad as he's looked lately, but he is the kind of defenseman that needs to make up for some deficiencies in his own end with offensive contributions ... and the Canes offense has been stuck in a ditch in a lot of games. That ain't a great combination for him personally.

ThinIce

I think you can take our worst performance of the season and toss it out, along with our best performance of the season. They're outliers that are magnifications of our teams worst and best impulses, respectively. But I think last night's performance shows the potential of this team when everyone brings it and out-hustles the opposition. Aho looked like a hungry, determined player who was just handed the keys to a candy store - something we haven't seen in a while. And while I'm still not sold on Fleury, anything that builds his confidence is good for us going forward.

HurryCanes

Nice effort by the boys although I still wonder about Nino who seems to be doing a lot of floating around the periphery and not being as big of a pest in front of the goalie. I will hand it to the Tkachuk kid. For a newcomer he doesn't mind working in the dirty areas and will likely net a lot of goals wallowing around in front of the goalie.

CanadaCanes

I'd like to take two games to date the Canes played and reverse them to wins...the Ranger loss Thursday and the loss at Ottawa Saturday, swap those two out for wins and the Canes would sit at 12-5-1 and we would be happy with where they are. The fine line in the division and in the East is so tight that you simply cannot afford to go into too many losing streaks this year, every time I look at scores the East teams are piling up points and beating on the West.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Did you see the look on Aho’s face after his shorty? He was PISSED. He channels his rage into stupid good plays like that a lot, although we haven’t really seen much of it this year.

Nino is as snakebit as I’ve seen anyone in a long time. Late in the 3rd, a wide open net, Anderson down and out and CLANG off the crossbar.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Nino is as snakebit as I’ve seen anyone in a long time. Late in the 3rd, a wide open net, Anderson down and out and CLANG off the crossbar.
This x 1,000. I mean ... he hit the bottom half of the bar and the puck bounced downward and out. That's just horrible luck. Otherwise Nino played quite well and on a night when we got two stupidly lucky bounces to drop, that's simply the snake telling Nine that he's still latched onto his leg.

HNIM

I'd like to take two games to date the Canes played and reverse them to wins...the Ranger loss Thursday and the loss at Ottawa Saturday, swap those two out for wins and the Canes would sit at 12-5-1 and we would be happy with where they are. The fine line in the division and in the East is so tight that you simply cannot afford to go into too many losing streaks this year, every time I look at scores the East teams are piling up points and beating on the West.
Rangers game I though we played halfway decent, but Henrik was on. The previous two against Jersey and Philly, though, were just awful. We needed to show up for those.

Boardwork

Thought on Pesce (looking for smarter opinions of mine)---is he a guy that makes a pair stronger when paired with a solid partner in the d-zone? Or can he be that stronger player that makes his partner better?

I lean toward the latter (and the latter is a very good thing)

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Rangers game I though we played halfway decent, but Henrik was on. The previous two against Jersey and Philly, though, were just awful. We needed to show up for those.
Yup. Things were REALLY easy against a bad Detroit team and I thought the Canes got stuck in some bad habits ... mostly thinking they could just zip down the ice and have the middle of the zone open up for them as if by magic. NJ and Philly don't play that way and they looked like garbage in those two, only to respond fairly well against the Rangers and be stymied by the King standing on his head in net.

Here's the thing that's sticking in my craw ... this team should be mature enough to need to constantly course correct in terms of the basic "how to play the game" stuff. Yet, this season has largely been just that ... they play well for a stretch, get into bad habits and then get a rude awakening ... wash, rinse, repeat. Knock it off and play the same version of the game every night and maybe they can start to get some consistent results. Until then it's going to be this freaking roller coaster. You're going to get beaten sometimes, and that's fine. But this nonsense of just handing a game (or two) to an opponent every so often because the Canes can't keep their collective heads from getting too big is an issue.

bagopux

With Williams gone and Martinook out after the 4th game, the team might have a leadership vacuum that current voices in the locker room just haven't filled yet, or can't fill. Maybe guys like Staal and Slavn, or whoever has taken on the role behind closed doors, are not the right kind of leaders for this group.

cmon3

I agree on Fleury. He was pretty good last night. He got robbed on what looked like a sure thing assist to Svetch that their D tipped in. :giggle:

cmon3

With Williams gone and Martinook out after the 4th game, the team might have a leadership vacuum that current voices in the locker room just haven't filled yet, or can't fill. Maybe guys like Staal and Slavn, or whoever has taken on the role behind closed doors, are not the right kind of leaders for this group.
I think there is no issue with their leadership but the subtraction of Williams and Martinook takes away what I suspect is a much more vocal element. That don’t lead that way and I think you’re right that they need that. Willy was the guy to vocally keep them focused on doing things right In my opinion.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... except this has been a problem pretty much right from that start. They got a LOT of breaks in that win streak to start the year, but that kind of puck luck won't last forever. Otherwise, we've been on that roller coaster all season. I'm willing to accept that "leadership" is an issue to some degree, but I think that tends to be a default position for fans whenever things aren't meeting expectations. Not accusing anyone of anything ... I just think that's an easier answer than that a fair nunber of guys just need to play better night to night ... or that Brindy needs to quit tinkering with lines and let some chemistries develop.

ThinIce

I agree that we sometimes put too much stock in what a captain can realistically accomplish. I think what made Williams a perfect captain was not just his personality, determination and his experience, but most importantly, he had the inner ear and supreme confidence of Brind'Amour. Who knows how valuable that two-way understanding truly was, but I don't think there's anyone on this team that can duplicate what Williams had.

CanadaCanes

I still think the Canes will revisit the Williams stuff after the Holidays and see if he wants to do a Mike Fisher kind of return for a shortened season and one more kick at the playoff can. I still think that has a 50-50 chance of happening and both Brindy and Dundon would be on board with it if Willy was game for it.

Punzil

It's taken 18 games for Dougie Hamilton to get half of the points he got in 82 games last season. If he keeps up this pace, he could be the first defenseman for this franchise to score 30 or more goals in a season, and even pass Mark Howe's franchise best 24 goals and 80 points by a D-man.

It's still early, but right now I'd be OK with him being our token All-Star rep.

cmaleski2

If they decide they have to include a few Dmen, Dougie is a perfect for the all star game given his ability to join the rush and snipe goals.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I agree that we sometimes put too much stock in what a captain can realistically accomplish. I think what made Williams a perfect captain was not just his personality, determination and his experience, but most importantly, he had the inner ear and supreme confidence of Brind'Amour. Who knows how valuable that two-way understanding truly was, but I don't think there's anyone on this team that can duplicate what Williams had.
Given how little fans really know about how these teams actually function, I think a big reason Williams was viewed as a great Captain (other than the on ice success) was that the core fan base already had a positive history with the guy. They "knew" he was a good leader from his previous stint with the Canes and his playoff exploits, so when he wore the C, it fit the notion everybody already had. And there's some built in skepticism of Staal as Captain because of that split C nonsense with Peters and his brother's lukewarm stint as Captain. Bottom line ... success or failure in the standings tends to support or destroy our narratives over time.