• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs. Predators, Nov 29, 7:30 pm

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Ooo, ooo, Black Friday ... queue up the Kiss classic Black Diamond for today's ear worm. Queue up The Replacements cover from the Let it Be record if you want the definitive version. Anyway, we all can fend off our turkey and stuffing hangovers and spend whatever is left out our energy after slugging it out for deals down at the Wal-Mart by cheering on the Canes tonight as they put on the black and host the Nashville Predators. I hope the boys had a nice Thanksgiving, as recent events and a frustrating loss in NYC can't have left them in a great pre-holiday mood. I know a lot of them were planning to group up and head out for the traditional meal, and I really do hope it was good for the spirits. Because, honestly ... this team could use a hug.

Now ... old pal Peter Laviolette and his Preds come to town in a weird place as well. GM Dave Poile loaded up for bear this season, set to take a serious run at a Cup after years on the fringes of contender status. They managed to shed PK Subban's salary anchor and land Matt Duschene to fill the nagging hole at center that has held them back. They still have perhaps the best overall defense core in the league, a great backstop in Pekka Rinne and a solid group up front ... but it's just not clicking for them thus far this season. They had a decent enough October, but managed to lose 6 in a row and 8 out of 9 and their frustration level has risen as you'd expect. Laviolette is catching grief, as are the key players ... as befits a "contender" currently sitting 5th in their Division and well South of the playoff cut line in the West. And it's largely been the defense that's let them down, which is the biggest shocker. Their vaunted D Corps is racking up points well enough ... Josi and Ellis are both having good statistical seasons ... but they're leaking goals at an alarming rate. It's easy to blame Rinne, and his numbers ARE down dramitically, but when I've seen this team thus far this season they've been surrendering quality chances like that's what they're getting paid to do. This is a team built to win 2-1, 3-2 games and they've been getting in track meets ... with predictable results.

So ... fired up, under fire opponent coming in hot. Carolina can't be all woe is me after yet another brick walling at the hands of Lundqvist the other night. They need to rebound with a solid effort against an angry but vulnerable opponent. Dagger this bunch. Make 'em work.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Forgot the roster note ... Clark "Griswold" Bishop has been recalled from Charlotte and Eetu Luostarinen has been sent down. It's a one for one swap ... defensive center for defensive center ... and a reward for Bishop's fine play of late with the Checkers.

Punzil

Apparently, Tripp played golf with Josi last summer... How exciting...

Fleury is in the lineup for TVR.

Bishop has a good chance to tie it... but no.

Fleury loses his stick, and the Preds make it 2-0.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Rinne is looking like his Prime self tonight... we give up a goal then we just deflate more then a balloon hit by a dart.

dwind

Canes really haven’t tested him. Same problems they’ve been having - puck control, stabbing at the puck as its skated by them, perimeter playing, chasing after the puck instead of anticipating, passing to the skates, etc.

dwind

The preds just stick handle through the canes pretty much unmolested.
hopefully the rest of the game will change all that.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I haven't watched a minute. Fantastic dinner in Falls Church, VA and then a whiskey bar. Didn’t have Elijah Craig (sorry, dwind) but a whiskey sampler and then Basil Hayden’s and a rock.

HeyKurtz

My wife is driving this leg of our drive home from Burlington, VT, allowing me to watch the game on my iPad. She’s getting the better deal.