• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Grapes is soured

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Maybe shaming/bullying anyone to buy poppies and support veterans isn't the best way to help? Maybe the population needs to be educated -again- around what the campaign is really for.
Just for example, I give a **** about rememberance day beyond it's historic significance. But my dad and I spend every boxing day binge watching some of the better stuff done on WW1 & 2. Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Private Ryan. Every year we have the same conversations about how shit that must have been, how lucky we both were to have grown up in peace time, etc.

On my own time randomly through the year I read books about both wars, the people, the places, the events. But **** me because I don't care about wearing a poppy as a signal of virtue signalling in the 2nd week of November, right?

Confining the appreciation of our military history to a single day on the calendar, and brow beating anyone who doesn't follow the herd can **** off.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
see... the problem is white people not immigrants.
Exactly

Seriously though, let's assume for a moment that Don Cherry was accurate. Whose fault is it? Maybe we do a poor job of promoting our culture and history? You can't ignore it 364 days a year, every year and then brow beat immigrants who don't have the same cultural history we have for not immediately falling in line for something that in their experience, we show no give a **** about culturally aside from one day a year where we wear a cheap plastic flower and pretend to give a ****.

If giving a **** isn't in our cultural DNA the other 364 days a year, why would immigrants assume that they need to care? Why would they assume that it's part of being Canadian. They only thing they've learned about being Canadian from all of this, is that we can be as fake and hypocritical as any other people on the planet.

leafman101

Exactly

Seriously though, let's assume for a moment that Don Cherry was accurate. Whose fault is it? Maybe we do a poor job of promoting our culture and history? You can't ignore it 364 days a year, every year and then brow beat immigrants who don't have the same cultural history we have for not immediately falling in line for something that in their experience, we show no give a **** about culturally aside from one day a year where we wear a cheap plastic flower and pretend to give a ****.

If giving a **** isn't in our cultural DNA the other 364 days a year, why would immigrants assume that they need to care? Why would they assume that it's part of being Canadian. They only thing they've learned about being Canadian from all of this, is that we can be as fake and hypocritical as any other people on the planet.
Yeah, I agree. personally I like remembrance day, and the poppies and moment of silence. Especially as years go by and WWI/II vets/survivors pass away. It always felt important as a kid, and I think its important to remember.

But a minute and $1 a year isn't much.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Don’t let a racist make you racist. Seeing too much of this lately.

Last edited:

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Yeah, I agree. personally I like remembrance day, and the poppies and moment of silence. Especially as years go by and WWI/II vets/survivors pass away. It always felt important as a kid, and I think its important to remember.
Yeah, I agree that it's important to remember the largest **** ups in human history, the human suffering that was caused by it all. It's damn instructive to us as a species if we're going to last. We can't pop off like that every time we have disagreements across different nations/cultures, and we're absolutely in the right to remember the sacrifices of the people caught up in all of that.

But it should be in our cultural DNA. It just isn't anymore. I'm open to real ways of changing that. I'm not open to brow beating people to line up for virtue signalling en masse about something the rest of our actions suggest that we don't care about.

Artnes

Of course it is

He has mocked Russians for years. That was his entire schtick until a few years ago

aniablue

My bottom bottom line is, as a kid growing up, I was ashamed how the white side of me,which is not my entire stock, took this country by sheer numbers and force, from the native aboriginal indians

It pissed me off for a long time.

I mean we basically grabbed it Call it a steal, call it whatever.

I have attended many sweat lodges, pow wows but never had the guts to attend a sundance. Came close.

I go up to all creeds now, that have come into Canada and tell them, welcome to Canada, I get a great response, and I mean it.; I mean, this whole country AFTER being "stolen" was built upon immigrations of all kinds of folks

I loved Don for years, but he has to understand, I am part Italian, we feel we had a big part of this great country, this divide.

Sure, Don, its been very sudden, very intensive. Who knows who is behind all of this

But Don, the biggest part of sudden influxes, is acceptance and cooperation.

I loved the guy, part of me still does. But we grabbed this whole continent, and its still huge, still so much territory, lets make it work, we don't need Don's making new people feel like they are the enemy coming in

Makes me feel the Raptors are way more important than Coaches Corner, and I sure hope we keep Masai. That guy is the present and future of basketball.

If I was the Knicks I would open many coffers for this guys visionary look at the sport of basketball and the world itself.

I love immigrants, I am one myself, heck we all are, unless we can claim we are a full blooded Huron Indian, (oops wiped out by the Iroquouis)

So, do I love Persian Muslims more than recent Syrian Muslims and Iraqis? Maybe, maybe not.

Its all about the Dubas' and the Shanahan's at the top.

And my bud, Don, well he, he just went over the top on this, he should be happy he got shot, on the day of remembrance When young kids got killed for bullshit And Don, went bullshit at the end. Sorry but you are OVER as joe rogan says.

ITS OVER DON, don't bring Bobby Orr into this please, he had Eagleson, he doesn't need this

Bobby is a legitimate icon. Don you milked it one too many times.

Signed, a real Bobby Orr fan. I would love to hear Phil Esposito's take on this btw.

And if you want a guy who can really rattle a cage, forget Brian who played with my best friends buddy, Blake Dunlop, and realized he was shit, , bring in Esposito, who rallied a whole country to a massive, maybe biggest win of all time.

So yeah my vote for new guy is Phil Esposito.

Screw the AHL kings or fourth line AHl kings. Bring on Esposito... He is a sicilian Canadian. His family worked in steel factories way up in whatever, the beautiful confines of northern ontario, and the family produced two Hall of Famers... That be my vote.

I think Esposito, would be ten times Don Cherry.

If not, have a panel of talking heads, but please, no Brian Burke.. And oh, oh, Don Cherry had a hand in trading Phil Esposito from the Bruins.

Cherry claims to be a great Canadian, well he traded a guy who along with other greats, carried Canada to a massive win in 1972.

Phil Esposito or a panel of talking heads nothing less.

That is my vote and call.

But hey, hey, hey, we have Jim Hughson, replacing Foster Hewitt, Bill Hewitt, Danny Gallivan and Bob Cole as the "voice" of Canada.

I don't hold my breath to see the guy, who is most deserved, to be our voice for Canada.

REMEMBER, Esposito, brought it the Tampa Bay Lightning Read his book, talk about against all odds.

Guy did more on one finger, ahh, I am finished.. We got rid of Cherry, but we HAVE to get rid of Hughson Awful

Last edited: