• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Grapes is soured

RDJ >>>>

giphy.gif

I would also like to repeat something that I mentioned above.

The poppies we're expected to wear are made by a for profit company, using actual prison labour where the prisoners are paid damn close to slavery wages (it was 6.90 a day as of the 2015 article I found) to assemble the cheap, single use plastic poppy that have somehow become our patriotism purity test. The Canadian Legion owns the trademark of the poppy whenever it's used for "rememberance" and no other entity can produce them "commercially" whether for profit or not for profit with numerous people creating and producing ecologically friendly versions having been sent cease and desist letters in recent years...to protect the profits of a company using modern slave labour to prey on our annual act of patriotism and rememberance.

Let that all sink in.

I would also like to repeat something that I mentioned above.

The poppies we're expected to wear are made by a for profit company, using actual prison labour where the prisoners are paid damn close to slavery wages (it was 6.90 a day as of the 2015 article I found) to assemble the cheap, single use plastic poppy that have somehow become our patriotism purity test. The Canadian Legion owns the trademark of the poppy whenever it's used for "rememberance" and no other entity can produce them "commercially" whether for profit or not for profit with numerous people creating and producing ecologically friendly versions having been sent cease and desist letters in recent years...to protect the profits of a company using modern slave labour to prey on our annual act of patriotism and rememberance.

Let that all sink in.
Ever pause to consider why the legion needs to go this route?

Wearing the poppy is one step above liking a veteran's post on Facebook.

For those who actually care about the vets, they can volunteer, donate or fundraise. That's what Cherry should be championing, not some banal virtue signalling.

He could have chosen to educate.

"Many of you new canadians may not appreciate why we wear these poppies, but this is why it matters, and you should all support our vets in any way you can. Meanwhile you canadians born here should be embarassed if you don't wear one."

But he didn't, because he was only interested in hating on immigrants.

Ever pause to consider why the legion needs to go this route?

Consider why the Legion threatens Etsy shops with lawsuits to protect the profits of a modern slavemaster?

Absolutely. It's to protect the stream of donations that go to a damn good cause. But this returns to my larger point earlier about society not giving a fuck about this the other 364 days a year. If we can't find a couple of millie for veterans without resorting to the modern version of slave labour....

Yeah, maybe Cherry should be yelling about this in between rememberance days like CH says immediately above.

Ya, a well thought out emotional plea along the lines of "we are forgetting" from Cherry could have been right on point. I could see something like that going viral and doing alot of good for veterans, as well as his legacy.

Instead he went the way he did, made this about immigrants, the poppy, and himself - when it should be about remembering the sacrifices, vets, and how we never want that shit to happen again.

Consider why the Legion threatens Etsy shops with lawsuits to protect the profits of a modern slavemaster?

Absolutely. It's to protect the stream of donations that go to a damn good cause. But this returns to my larger point earlier about society not giving a **** about this the other 364 days a year. If we can't find a couple of millie for veterans without resorting to the modern version of slave labour....

Yeah, maybe Cherry should be yelling about this in between rememberance days like CH says immediately above.
The Legion is slowly dying. They have a massive problem. They don't receive any (or much) government funding, so their main income comes from legion members and the poppy drive.

The legion was built by vets of the world wars, and their families. The problem is, the families dilute the membership. Younger vets don't go to legions because those who actually known what they went through are old, dying, or in retirement homes. The bulk of the legion members are family members of veterans and when you have a vet who went through hell and back, show up at a legion hall and hear the second hand stories of hardship of war, and how much of a struggle it was for them to hear about what their parents of grandparents went through, that's a vet that wont return. That leaves less vets, more family members and less vets who want to join a legion.

So what you have are legion halls all across Canada with ever dwindling numbers, less legion dues, and closing their doors. So that source of income is falling. That leaves the poppy drive. Most people are ridiculously cheap when it comes to poppies. A buck or two for one, rarely see more than that. And while poppies are cheap to make,(now, using slave labour) it's the one time of the year where they make a bulk of the money they are going to make for the year. And they have 10 days to do it. People generally don't wear poppies before Halloween, and everyone discards them after the 11th.

So to have anyone else make it would cut into the margins that they are using to survive, and to allow others to sell them would cut into their market share that they are using to survive.

It doesn't make it right, but it's the logical thing for them to do considering the challenges they are facing.

Reactions: BG
I hear a lot of complaints about snowflakes and squeaky wheels, protests and petitions.

I feel like if there was a petition put out to keep Don Cherry "retired" - it would absolutely squash any backlash.

I love this "Epstein didn't kill himself" bit though.

Because he didn't, and we should never forget that he didn't.

But yeah.

The venn diagram between those protesters, the "yellow vest" protesters, "alberta proud", etc is a perfect circle.

Legions are dying for sure.
I don't know about big cities, but here in Simcoe County it seems to be about which little town you are in...in my town the Legion does very little, one town over they are having events all the time.

I have ended up being a big supporter, mainly because they do things you can have fun at while supporting a good cause. It's a little strange always driving ten miles to one Legion while the one half a click away is usually empty.

Legions are dying for sure.
I don't know about big cities, but here in Simcoe County it seems to be about which little town you are in...in my town the Legion does very little, one town over they are having events all the time.

I have ended up being a big supporter, mainly because they do things you can have fun at while supporting a good cause. It's a little strange always driving ten miles to one Legion while the one half a click away is usually empty.
Yeah, depends on local management.

Some have better outreach and events, others are social clubs for the small amount of die hards.

But on a whole, they are dying out. Not as many vets around, and the vets around would rather go to a regular pub or bar than hang around a bunch of old people who may or may not have served. There are a lot of veterans groups online for those who need to shoot the shit about their service.

I have little pity for the legions, they brought this upon themselves, being way too slow to adapt, having family members talk about their legion service and legion medals, and failing to realize that guys in their 20s and 30s don't play shuffleboard.

I just wanted mindzeye to realize to realize while hes busy taking a dump on the legion for their shady business dealings, they are doing it because they are barely clinging to life as it is.

so I watched Cheery on Tucker Carlson... it was a pretty hilarious shitshow. but it got me thinking. Don has barely been able to string together a coherent sentence for years. He should have been off the air long ago. this kind of event was the inevitable result of continually trotting him out on air.

ironically enough, on Tucker he actually appeared somewhat contrite. although its unclear if that was sincere remorse, or just recognizing if he'd chosen his words more carefully he'd still have his pulpit to pontificate from

Back