• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricane Season (for reals)

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hey guys ... looks like the wild Atlantic is trying to make up her mind whether or not to serve up our third major hurricane in as many years. Tuck in, nail everything down and stay safe folks. This one looks like a doozy.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Yeah take this one seriously people, we're already getting gusts over 40mph and its still over 100 miles off our coast. It's moving at 1 mph. People walk faster than that. Those poor people in the Northern Bahamas, it's just sitting on top of them.

dwind

Stay safe Habsy!
I’m just back from Wrightsville Beach. A number of residents haven’t fully recovered from Florence and are now facing this one. Hopefully it will move more northeast.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
NC and SC beaches are already getting hit with stronger than usual tidal patterns. This is a BIG storm and a really well formed one, despite the wandering path. It’s a recipe for real trouble.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Stay safe Habsy!
I’m just back from Wrightsville Beach. A number of residents haven’t fully recovered from Florence and are now facing this one. Hopefully it will move more northeast.
We’re just back from Pine Knoll Shores. Lousy weather yesterday and today and the storm surge is already affecting the island with high tide coming all the way up to the dunes, a good bit farther than Saturday. The Inn At Pine Knoll Shore didn’t recover until spring. We were told that every room got a new mattress and it’s a 7 floor hotel. There are still a lot of dark buildings on the island and visible damage.

UNCW is sending students home as of 5:00 tomorrow. My daughter will be here Wednesday morning, the 2nd time in 15 months she’s evacuated Wilmington. She escaped Florence with no damage, I hope Dorian is as kind.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Dorian needs to pick a direction and build up some freaking speed otherwise it's going to be another whopper. Those slow moving big storms are the WORST.

Pucking Lamplighter

I spent some of my free time last week resharpening saw chains, stocking up on fuel mix, bar lube, and propane. Every battery I own has been recharged & is ready to go, if needed.

I hope we don't get much severe activity around Hillsborough, but you never can tell. There's liable to be trees and/or fences down around the farm and I can't be caught unprepared. Rounding up loose, scared horses only gets so fun.

Hang in there everyone.

Jim

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Dorian needs to pick a direction and build up some freaking speed otherwise it's going to be another whopper. Those slow moving big storms are the WORST.
Seriously. My brother, sister and I convinced my 89 year old father to leave West Palm Beach and head to my brother in DC, when it looked like he was going to take a direct hit. Then the storm moved east and he told my sister to cancel the plane ticket. Then it moved back west and the Hurricane warning starts at the next town north of him, now extending all the way to Ponte Vedra Beach.

The 5:00 update from NOAA says it’s at a dead stop, dumping on the northwest Bahamas. Winds are down to 145 MPH.

KTown11

I left Ocala Thursday and have been very comfortable, including great weather everyday while staying in my RV. I have friends a bit NE of Atlanta who have been so kind to let me hook into there power and park in the driveway. I can't believe that hurricane is still there, especially since they were predicting a direct hit Thursday for Sunday! Stations running out of supplies then. No sense in going back right now since having recently sold the farm. Which makes me think I might be going to more Canes games in the future. The question is which venues to hit next. I am loaded with Canes gear. Still cant believe the thing is still there! Good luck everybody, and Gods speed!

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
11:00 update and Dorian is still stationary. Winds down to 130 MPH. The center of the forecast track still keeps it offshore, off the coast of Wilmington at 8 PM on Thursday, possibly brushing Hatteras, then racing northeast off Delaware on Friday and Nova Scotia on Saturday.

*AH*

I'm worn out! I've been here at our coast house doing projects on the new one (the old having been 'totalled' by Flo and replaced) for weeks. And now this. As soon as there was a hint of the track shift I shifted gears and have two 14hour days and two more to go. The latest has the track ever so slightly away - I welcome any good news, however slight.

Tryamw

The Bahamas are taking this storm on the chin and then some... 20'+ Storm surge on a 30' island is not a good recipe hope everyone there is safe.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I'm worn out! I've been here at our coast house doing projects on the new one (the old having been 'totalled' by Flo and replaced) for weeks. And now this. As soon as there was a hint of the track shift I shifted gears and have two 14hour days and two more to go. The latest has the track ever so slightly away - I welcome any good news, however slight.
Stay safe! You’re not a young man anymore!

Dorian finally started moving after 14 hours sitting over Grand Bahama. It’s moving northwest at 1 MPH but expected to accelerate. The wind filed is expanding too, gusts over 60 MPH being felt on the Florida coast.

Habsy

The good news is that it's trying to break apart and that'll weaken it further. The bad news is it likely won't fully frak apart and you'll be dealing with a severe rain event on a slooooooooow mover. Slow moving hurricanes are the worst.
Stay safe! You’re not a young man anymore!

Dorian finally started moving after 14 hours sitting over Grand Bahama. It’s moving northwest at 1 MPH but expected to accelerate. The wind filed is expanding too, gusts over 60 MPH being felt on the Florida coast.
The wind field is expanding but the severity of those winds are lessening. The eye tried to collapse which would create a secondary eye and expand the size of the storm. We've been ready for this thing for days, it's pretty annoying as it's shut down the east coast of Florida in anticipation. Better to deal with anticipation than the actual thing I suppose. Images out of the Northern Bahamas are downright scary. Houses just leveled.

Habsy

Seriously. My brother, sister and I convinced my 89 year old father to leave West Palm Beach and head to my brother in DC, when it looked like he was going to take a direct hit. Then the storm moved east and he told my sister to cancel the plane ticket. Then it moved back west and the Hurricane warning starts at the next town north of him, now extending all the way to Ponte Vedra Beach.

The 5:00 update from NOAA says it’s at a dead stop, dumping on the northwest Bahamas. Winds are down to 145 MPH.
It's looking like your dad will be better off in WPB. Hopefully it stays that way.

Habsy

11:00 update and Dorian is still stationary. Winds down to 130 MPH. The center of the forecast track still keeps it offshore, off the coast of Wilmington at 8 PM on Thursday, possibly brushing Hatteras, then racing northeast off Delaware on Friday and Nova Scotia on Saturday.
Don't rely on timelines. This sucker doesn't follow a schedule. We've been in limbo for days.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Don't rely on timelines. This sucker doesn't follow a schedule. We've been in limbo for days.
Yup. Along with pretty much all of the East Coast south of Philly. It doesn't help one come up with a thoughtful plan, which is driving my wife NUTS.

Habsy

All you can really do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We did and it's since shifted more north for us lessening the possibility of hurricane force winds. I'm not sorry for being prepared though.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Oh sure ... all over the Southeast, you'd think that people know that drill by now. But truth in fact, the bulk of the population doesn't really get going on prep until they have a date when the threat gets real for their area. That's one reason these slow movers are such an issue. Not only do they just sit there dumping massive amounts of rain, they tend to lead to a false sense of security along the potential storm paths.