• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricane Season (for reals)

TheBigKahuna

We put things away down east this weekend. Luckily, most of the stuff below the house was thrown away last year. Tide has been high all weekend.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
We put things away down east this weekend. Luckily, most of the stuff below the house was thrown away last year. Tide has been high all weekend.
In Pine Knoll Shores, the beach was completely covered up to the dunes at high tide on Sunday and Monday. The hotel we were staying in lost 2 tables and a chair on Sunday before they pulled everything back.

cmon3

In Pine Knoll Shores, the beach was completely covered up to the dunes at high tide on Sunday and Monday. The hotel we were staying in lost 2 tables and a chair on Sunday before they pulled everything back.
The high tides this past week were expected to be higher than normal. I think it was a perigean spring tide. Which is the highest tide of the year. It’s higher than a normal spring tide because not only is the moon in position for a spring tide but the sun is also aligned to make it an extra high spring tide. I don’t think our high tides this past weekend were related to the hurricane. But it’s good that it didn’t come last weekend because the storm surge would have been exacerbated by the extra high tides. Ideally it will pass at low tide. I think Florence stayed in the area for 3 tide cycles, which sucked.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... the higher tides were expected. The Town of Pine Knoll Shores actually sent out some sort of official statement due to the forest being so close to the beach in some areas down there. Still, it wasn't helped by the fringes of the storm impact area. That storm is carrying massive amounts of water and causing all sorts of issues, even that far north.

TheBigKahuna

I had heard about the tides. We noticed the water was a good foot higher than normal. The dock was barely above water. This is up on the Bay River.

*AH*

I've been dealing with slow movers: Irene in 2011, 8 hours to pass and Flo last year that hung around for almost a day. The surge is what nails us. We're on the lower Neuse River across from Oriental, < 20 miles from Pamlico Sound and a big storm (Nor'easters included) crossing the sound 'spinning' CCW, pushes WALLS of water directly at us. I've had soffit damage 15' off the ground. The new house is a few feet higher.

The old one wasn't destroyed but surge breached the front wall and floor on the water side in several places, weakening the structure to where the adjuster totaled it - bless him! Farmers paid off almost all the coverage within four days and the rest as soon as we could get the personal property claims in. Neighbors spent months hassling with their carriers and were lucky to get 30% covered - including one a Nationwide adjuster himself!

Right Andy, I'll be 77 next month and it's much harder than earlier. I half agree with Barbara that it's such a paradise it's almost worth it. We look out onto the 5 mile wide Neuse River and mile wide Adams Creek with over 180 deg. of waterview. And a half acre of waterfront is hard to come by.

The sat shot shows the lot cleared and prepping for the new house. My mancave is still standing and that concrete pier ain't going nowhere.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well I got lucky, didn't even lose power.

I hope you all the same luck!
Raleigh looks to be on the western edge of the bad winds, so we'll probably be fine here locally. Soggy, windblown and probably dealing with isolated power issues from fallen limbs and trees, but probably OK in general. The coastal plain can't take much more but if this thing doesn't strengthen and organize any better than it has in the last 24 hours it shouldn't be too bad. Now, watch the dumb thing take a Crazy Ivan turn for the coast about time it gets even with Wilmington and bring all sorts of havoc to communities still stressed from the last 3 years' storms. Ugh. I hate these things.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The projected track in the 11:00 advisory shows it brushing the coast in both Carolinas, closet than it was in Florida. It’s still creeping along at 9 MPH and hasn’t cleared the Florida border yet.

My daughter in Wilmington is going to ride it out. She has plenty of water and canned foods and tested her grill last night to make sure it worked. My biggest fear is what happened in Florence; every branch of the Cape Fear River breached and turned Wilmington Int’L an island for several days. The first way in that opened was via Jacksonville, which adds an hour to the drive.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well ... settling in to a path now, Dorian looks like it will hammer the NC and SC coasts pretty good. Everybody tuck in and stay safe.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Just downgraded back to a category 2. My daughter still has power, as do my cube-neighbor’s parents in Carolina Beach. Tornadic activity breaking out all over, including North Myrtle Beach. Stay safe everyone.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... there were just now reports of a tornado ripping through a trailer park in Emerald Isle down not too far from the NC 58 bridge.

*AH*

We were blessed with good fortune: no real damage and no loss of anything of real value. But I have a LOT of really messy clean up.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
We were blessed with good fortune: no real damage and no loss of anything of real value. But I have a LOT of really messy clean up.
Good to hear. My daughter never lost power and only had minor debris to clean up.

NoMich

My brother in law's RV on Harkers got knocked a askew on its foundation, but thankfully, no flooding

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Glad to hear it, friend. My parents came out roughly the same up at Pine Knoll Shores ... a lot of mess and a little bit of water damage but nothing major.

Looks like the worst of it was Hatteras northward, and there's a lot less people up that way. I've got a buddy who used to work for me running supplies back and forth out of Cedar Island. Apparently there's a sizable floatilla of local boats ... commercial and private ... making sure Ocracoke has fresh water and supplies. Keep those folks in mind over the nest few days as everyone starts to clean up.