• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs waive Michael Hutchinson

LeafGm

Shouldn't be much of a surprise, but looks like the Leafs are done with Hutchinson:

No official word yet on who will be replacing him, but Bobby Mac's guess is that Kaskisuo will get the call.

With Marner headed to LTIR does that provide room to acquire an actual backup?

It would, but only for so long as Marner's out and on LTIR. Once he's back, we'd still have to clear room.

And there's really not much out there anyway, in terms of 3rd string goalies to have NHL experience and who might be an upgrade on what we've got. Tampa's already traded Louis Domingue (who kind of sucks anyway), so that just leaves Casey Desmith on Pittsburgh. And he comes with three more years left on his deal, and FWIW, has been a sub-.900 goalie through 10 games in the AHL to start the year.

I think you may as well just roll with Kaskisuo for at least a few starts and see what you've got.

DeSmith makes the most sense. And with Igor Shastorykin killing it in the AHL, and the Rangers goalie of the future, I wonder if they'd move Georgiev.

Is it just me or are backups suddenly becoming harder to find? I feel like just a few years ago there was an abundance of them out there...

DeSmith makes the most sense. And with Igor Shastorykin killing it in the AHL, and the Rangers goalie of the future, I wonder if they'd move Georgiev.
That's who they absolutely should target. Potential audition for Andy replacement in the future and solid backup... But he may cost a 1st which they do not have.

Should be zero reason to pay a first for DeSmith and if any GM did they should be fired on the spot

Seriously, how tough is it to find a goalie who can play 20 games and not be terrible? In the entire fucking world of 7 billion people or whatever, there are barely 30 guys who can do this job? It’s crazy.

Is Bobo drunk this morning? Basically deflecting any blame from Hutch

Yeah, he’s being oddly vociferous in his support of Hutchinson.

If the guy’s track record suggested he deserved the benefit of the doubt, I’d be more willing to give it. No doubt that Babcock makes his backups eat shit more than any coach I’ve ever seen.

But Hutchinson wasn’t exactly lights out even with the Marlies last year, and he’s previously washed out of Winnipeg & Florida. Looks like he just isn’t an NHL-calibre goalie.

Seriously, how tough is it to find a goalie who can play 20 games and not be terrible? In the entire fucking world of 7 billion people or whatever, there are barely 30 guys who can do this job? It’s crazy.

yeah this has been Dubas' biggest weakness so far, imo - not finding decent backup goaltending. it shouldn't be hard.

Hutch hasn't had an easy oppotunity this year, but sucking balls in difficult matchups doesn't make him an NHLer. I mean the only reason he was even in the NHL to begin with was Sparks quit last year.

Should be zero reason to pay a first for DeSmith and if any GM did they should be fired on the spot
Not DeSmith. I wouldn't even give a 2nd or 3rd for him. I meant Georgiev. Steep price but goalies are at a premium these days. Hard to find.

Eric Comrie has been riding in limbo since the beginning of the season - he's just been assigned to the AHL on a conditioning stint.

Phoenix Copley lost his back-up spot to Samsonov in Washington.

Charlie Lindgren lost his spot to Kinkaid.

Last edited:
Back