• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Lehner to Canes? Nope, it’s Mrazek

I agree with your take Paulie W. The question will be what exactly the Canes do there, be it a Summer trade (with us possibly retaining money/cap hit), a potential buyout with McGinn's arbitration opportunity, or does it take until just before the season (or even during the season) when someone gets really desperate for an experienced netminder for us to move Reimer?

Lots of options, hard to see Reimer playing the backup roll while getting paid more than the veteran starter.

Oh and this is where Ned being waivers exempt for one final season is a huge benefit to the Canes. They don't HAVE to make a decision yet. I just suspect they will want to move Reimer and take our chances with Ned/Forsberg before it comes time to start cutting paychecks.

Is the arbitration buyout available because McGinn filed even if he settles before the hearing?

This something new in the CBA?

And shouldn't an English major conjugate a touch better than that?

Careful ... I was an Economics major with a concentration in labor relations. I conjugate contract terms better than verbs.

hopefully they are not going to say the starter is going to be determined in Sept. at camp. (assuming Reimer stays)

Well ... they might SAY that, because these things are often said. But we all know that it's Mrazek's net barring anything unusual happening.

Careful ... I was an Economics major with a concentration in labor relations. I conjugate contract terms better than verbs.

If I saw a typo-free post from you, I’d report it, because I’d know your user ID was stolen.

buyout deadline is this week ? Or was it Sunday? If it was Sunday then Reimer has to get traded or he stays

Buyout deadline was 5:00 pm yesterday. But there is a second buyout period for teams that had players file for arbitration. McGinn filed, so the Canes have another opportunity (although I’m waiting to hear from our CBA expert if they can still use the buyout even if the player and team settle before the hearing). If they can, I wonder if the team “encouraged” McGinn to file once Mrazek was back in the fold.

Buyout deadline was 5:00 pm yesterday. But there is a second buyout period for teams that had players file for arbitration. McGinn filed, so the Canes have another opportunity (although I’m waiting to hear from our CBA expert if they can still use the buyout even if the player and team settle before the hearing). If they can, I wonder if the team “encouraged” McGinn to file once Mrazek was back in the fold.

Probably didn't need to. Maenalanen, Carrick, and Forsberg are all eligible too. You have to figure one of that lot was going to file for arbitration. It's dumb if they don't.

So actually I'm not sure now the Canes have an Arbitration buyout window option:

CBA 11.8:

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to
exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in
accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than
three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall
not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any
Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any
Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000. The dollar amount of $2,750,000 set
forth in this Section 11.18 shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of
annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon
a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary. By
way of example, if the Average League Salary for the 2014/15 League Year has increased by ten
(10) percent from the Average League Salary for the 2013/14 League Year, then the figure of
$2,750,000 stated in Section 11.18, shall be increased by ten (10) percent to $3,025,000.

Canes only have 1 arbitration hearing at the moment (they could potentially have more with Carrick, Manalanen and or Forsberg) but I think that Reimer's salary is actually under whatever the threshold is today to execute such a buyout.

So scrap an arbitration buyout for Reimer, I don't believe that is an option now that I look at the CBA again.

Back