• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

wiseguy1

Rocket win 2-1. Brook scored his 2nd goal. Primeau keeps on rolling, 24 saves. How long can you keep this guy down?

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
Caufield with no points tonight, but 9 shot attempts which is significant. As long as he keeps that up, the goals will continue to come.

Sal_Butera

Rocket win 2-1. Brook scored his 2nd goal. Primeau keeps on rolling, 24 saves. How long can you keep this guy down?
Has any team in the NHL drafted multiple goalies the quality of Price, Halak and potentially Primeau in the last 16-years? Most haven’t drafted a single one let alone multiple.

Talk about organizational forte...

GGpX

Until the start of next season, when he'll be Price's backup.

Let him play and get used to being a pro. No point in making him a backup that'll play 15 games between now & April.

wiseguy1

I think 15 games at the NHL level would be way better than 30 in the AHL (he splits with Lindgren). But of course they have committed to Kinkaid this year, its not the Habs way to dump him at this point.

wiseguy1

12 shot attempts I think is rather unusual for the US college game. They play more of a possession type game. This guy is a pure NHL type player.

GGpX

I know you respect Boisvert’s opinion.

But is Primeau for real?
Simon Boisvert see prospects the same way. We like to see upside, upside, upside. Don't care one bit about grinders. Swing for the fences and go for homeruns. I don't agree with everything he says, but that's fine. I liked Alex Turcotte a lot more than he did last year, he liked Peyton Krebs a lot more than most.

I respect his opinion above virtually everybody when it comes to prospects, for two reasons. One, he's not a parrot. He will go out on a limb to pump up prospects he likes, common knowledge be damned and without being a contrarian to have Hot Takes. He knows he will get mocked and questioned, for example: "what do you mean you have Nolan Patrick 7th and Cale Makar #1 on your list????" back in the 2017 draft. He had Heiskanen #2 if I remember correctly. Three years later, I doubt anyone would take Hischier or Patrick over Makar or Heiskanen if the draft were held today. He knows he will get some wrong (he had Elias Pettersson 12th on his list, he'd probably go first overall if the draft was re-done), but so does everyone as this is still evaluating 18 year olds.

The second reason is, he gets it right way more than not. He has a long history of getting it right way before everyone else. He was yelling from the rooftops for Viktor Arvidsson to get drafted... In the year he went undrafted. One year later, he goes in the 4th round. In 2018, he had Samuel Farmago has someone he'd take in the 2nd round. Goes undrafted and one year later, he goes in the second round as a 19 year old. He gets it right way more often than not.

As for Primeau, I think he's for real. He has everything I want from top prospects:

Clear, noticeable progress year to year.
Success in high pressure situations.
Best player on his team at the Junior/College level without having an age advantage, often times among the (if not the) best at his position in the whole league.
Doesn't seem to miss a beat when playing against pros.

It's also why I strongly push back to the idea of putting him in the NHL to backup Price right now. No, no, no. Let him be the top dog in the AHL and let him get used to being a pro (both in terms of workload & lifestyle, ie $$$ management). See if he can make the playoffs. See how he does under playoff pressure. See how his conditioning is. And so on and so forth. I fully expect him to thrive and next training camp, he'll be Price's backup.