• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

McGinn Re-Signs

SlapShots

I like this deal. Glad he's back. Does not make him protected come Seattle's draft...McGinn is the type of guy that any team wants-- plays hard whistle to whistle, never shy and plays full length of the rink. A

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
That cap space though.....

Reimer has to go.
He can only go by trade, as CM pointed out in another thread, he can’t be bought out. If he’s sent to Charlotte, the Canes are still on the hook for $1 million cap hit.

The cap hit on CapFriendly is a bit misleading, IMO. It has a roster of 23 including 14 forwards. I doubt that Gibbons and Bishop make the team out of camp, that’s a $1.4 million reduction. If Williams comes back, Necas may not stick either, he has to play with Aho or Haula, he’s not ready to play on a shutdown line and the 4th line is a waste.

The other thing to keep an eye on is Maenalanen. He’s an ideal candidate for the 13th forward. He was qualified and chose not to go to arbitration. He may well decide to go back to Finland if he doesn’t see a spot on the Canes roster. If he checks out and Williams re-signs, Gibbons could make the team as the 13th forward, he has 189 NHL games under his belt and we have no long term commitment to his development, so sitting him in the press box isn’t a big deal.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
He can only go by trade, as CM pointed out in another thread, he can’t be bought out. If he’s sent to Charlotte, the Canes are still on the hook for $1 million cap hit.

The cap hit on CapFriendly is a bit misleading, IMO. It has a roster of 23 including 14 forwards. I doubt that Gibbons and Bishop make the team out of camp, that’s a $1.4 million reduction. If Williams comes back, Necas may not stick either, he has to play with Aho or Haula, he’s not ready to play on a shutdown line and the 4th line is a waste.

The other thing to keep an eye on is Maenalanen. He’s an ideal candidate for the 13th forward. He was qualified and chose not to go to arbitration. He may well decide to go back to Finland if he doesn’t see a spot on the Canes roster. If he checks out and Williams re-signs, Gibbons could make the team as the 13th forward, he has 189 NHL games under his belt and we have no long term commitment to his development, so sitting him in the press box isn’t a big deal.
All this sounds about right. I really doubt they end up bringing Maenalanen back at this stage and maybe I'm off base but it looks for all the world to me like they're planning the roster like Williams won't be back either. I know they're saying the exact opposite but I'm just looking at actions here. Put it this way, they're done a fair amount of work to cover the bases if Williams does retire ... like to the point of creating some expensive, potentially awkward personnel issues if he doesn't.

Elsker

I do like that they made plans without Williams so there's no "now what?!?" moment if he retires.

Working him into the roster is a much better problem to have.

At this point I'd be thinking about pairing him with Staal on the 2A/2B line for both speed and role considerations anyway, not anything higher.

Let the young speedsters speed. Put nothing with them to hold them back.

And for that reason, plus salary cap considerations, McGinn may indeed be odd man out.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I do like that they made plans without Williams so there's no "now what?!?" moment if he retires.

Working him into the roster is a much better problem to have.

At this point I'd be thinking about pairing him with Staal on the 2A/2B line for both speed and role considerations anyway, not anything higher.

Let the young speedsters speed. Put nothing with them to hold them back.

And for that reason, plus salary cap considerations, McGinn may indeed be odd man out.
McGinn might just become an issue if Williams re-signs ... and at more than $2 million with limited scoring, he's probably an issue the following year either way. Guys like Foegel and Geekie will offer similar stuff with more scoring potential and a lower price tag by then. Heck, Foegele might fully do that now.