• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

zeke

Trump hearby orders American companies to find other countries to trade with.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Yeah, there's no way he gets reelected. He's taking potshots at everyone now, even his own base. #MadKing is right.

zeke

Something I said way back at the start - that if Donny doesn't burn it all down first, he may unwittingly be the catalyst for a sorely needed Great Revitilization of Democracy......

problem is, of course, that he may in fact burn it all down first.

LeafGm

I'm not as worried about Donny "burning it all down" himself as I am about him having set the stage for a more ruthless, cunning and capable demagogue to do that at some point in the relatively near future.

Kind of "fall of the Roman Republic" stuff, where once someone takes a torch to a ton of the accepted norms of behaviour and gets away with it, and demonstrates his particular road map to power, it's pretty tough to slam Pandora's box shut again for others who come along next.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Oh, and just so this is on the record. This is me at the news of David Koch kicking it.

**** him specifically. In general, **** anyone who thinks that we're required to be somber and solemn about the death of a cunt who had no interest in anything but more money in his pocket and the rest of us could fucking burn for it. People like the Koch's are our enemies, full stop. This isn't about partisan politics, this about shit like basic human rights and the planet not turning into a unliveable hellscape. Anyone who funds opposition to better transit in cities, forcing poor people to take buses for hours to their jobs instead of cheap efficient rail, so that a few more people can be forced into buying vehicles that suck Koch fuel, can **** off. It's at times like this where I wouldn't mind if the christian mythology was true, because spending an eternity in screaming pain is what that cunt deserves. Oh well, eternal oblivion will have to do.

One down, one to go.

zeke

I'm not as worried about Donny "burning it all down" himself as I am about him having set the stage for a more ruthless, cunning and capable demagogue to do that at some point in the relatively near future.

Kind of "fall of the Roman Republic" stuff, where once someone takes a torch to a ton of the accepted norms of behaviour and gets away with it, and demonstrates his particular road map to power, it's pretty tough to slam Pandora's box shut again for others who come along next.
by burning it all down, I mean most of all him completely undermining things like the rule of law and western democracy itself.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig

Legit concern. What the country needs, but may not get is a rock solid Democrat win across the board. Presidency, and both houses....and then those fucks doing legit house cleaning. Turn the "norms" into rules so that this can't happen as easily. Have the DoJ rescind some of these bullshit "memos" that they're using for guidance (basically all of their support for the unitary executive), re-jig SCOTUS, go full single payer medicare, etc, etc.

I'm actually almost confident that there are enough good Democrats to pull it off. Almost. Still more than enough Pelosi era corporate whore Dems to keep it from happening and instead try to (poorly) rig the game in their favour and set up the next era of Republicans (who are truly much better at rigging the system, so much fucking better) to walk in and finish the game.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Will even rate cuts keep the markets up for another 14 months though?
Maybe not, but it's the only hand he's got. The guy is a simpleton who thinks he's figured it all out, so he's clinging to "easy money = bull market"