• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Yeah, I don't mind doing things in moderation. You don't want to stop your life entirely because well.. This could be pretty long-term and that would suck. But if everyone just cut back on unnecessary shit like fucking high school sports, dining indoors, bars, clubs, hosting large indoor parties, etc. we'd be in a MUCH better spot and we could probably live pretty normally (or at least the "new" normally).

Especially in the summer when you can pretty much socialize however you want fairly safely outdoors and we somehow squandered it. It was our chance to kill the virus as much as possible before the inevitable winter risks. But now, the winter is going to be dark times.

Not only are we not locking down, a lot of people are treating things like we're back to normal with slight changes to their normal way of life. I just got a reschedule request email from a client because she and her husband are too busy for the session right now because her husband (high school teacher) is back coaching rugby 3x a week after school.

How in the **** are we allowing high school sports right now?

schools are safe

minor hockey is back at it here

basically the only things that you cannot do now is travel outside the country, dance at a club, attend concerts/sporting events, or have house parties

rest of life has returned to pretty much normal with less ppl

Yeah, I don't mind doing things in moderation. You don't want to stop your life entirely because well.. This could be pretty long-term and that would suck. But if everyone just cut back on unnecessary shit like fucking high school sports, dining indoors, bars, clubs, hosting large indoor parties, etc. we'd be in a MUCH better spot and we could probably live pretty normally (or at least the "new" normally).

Especially in the summer when you can pretty much socialize however you want fairly safely outdoors and we somehow squandered it. It was our chance to kill the virus as much as possible before the inevitable winter risks. But now, the winter is going to be dark times.

We're really setting ourselves up for another year or more of this shit with our behaviour. Whichever way you slice it, we need about 70% of us to have antibodies before the old normal becomes feasible. As of the end of the spring peak, we were sitting at just under1% nationally.

1 fucking %

We fired our lockdown bullet already, it would have to be near-apocalyptic for the Premiers to use that power again. All we had to do was accept a new, boring normal for about another 6 months and when the vaccine started to get distributed we could have started scaling up fun stuff knowing that growth in vaccination rates would out-compete native infection rates over the following 6 months and starve the virus out.

Our society is full of over-indulgent children masquerading as functioning adults.

Exactly

Restaursnts need to find a way to do indoor dining safely... HVAC upgrades, seatig rearrangement etc. If no indoor dining then we lose half or more of the options we had.

schools are safe

we have 51 new infections today alone linked to schools in Ontario

minor hockey is back at it here

Yeah, my mum was just saying that she saw the lineup outside the arena...apparently as long as you stand 6 feet apart while queued up and don't share a changeroom, all is well in the world now.

basically the only things that you cannot do now is travel outside the country, dance at a club, attend concerts/sporting events, or have house parties

rest of life has returned to pretty much normal with less ppl

It will be a short lived fake normal.

Ultimately this kind of thing relies too much on the behavior of human beings. And as we have seen throughout history, that has consistently been a recipe for disaster. We need to be treated like children.

or have house parties
Can confirm that this is not being followed even remotely. In houses with big backyards with near perfect weather too... I'm seeing indoor parties all over. One summer. You just needed to go one summer without them for the greater good. Selfish brats.

Ultimately this kind of thing relies too much on the behavior of human beings. And as we have seen throughout history, that has consistently been a recipe for disaster. We need to be treated like children.

Our great grandparents survived two world wars. It's learned behaviour, not inherent.

I don't like shitting on modern culture too much, it's pretty damn close to being the best of everything that humans have ever achieved. But if we have a blind spot, it's that some shit has become so easy that it's expected as part of the natural order of things. Having a million movies to choose from at any moment, or a million dining options, etc, etc. It's become so baked into human experience that removing any of that convenience becomes tantrum worthy.

we have 51 new infections today alone linked to schools in Ontario

Yeah, my mum was just saying that she saw the lineup outside the arena...apparently as long as you stand 6 feet apart while queued up and don't share a changeroom, all is well in the world now.

It will be a short lived fake normal.

i was mocking schools being opened
my friends with kids are hating life

here they do the "cohort" thing with sports
basically you can play the same team over an over

hospitalizations in ablerta are still super low - in the 40s - the a lagging indicator
i honestly think they care very little about the cases here - just the hospitalizations

alberta has not even 2 shits about anything in months but active cases are holding steady

The school board here put up a covid dashboard. They officially opened brick and mortar yesterday (actually started slowly on Sept 16). 19 cases reported so far, all employees and no students. It will be interesting to watch the numbers daily.

Thing is the vaccine is likely to be not much over 50% effective and as we know not everyone will want to get it. It will be crucial that we continue to socially distance and wear masks even after it is given to most of the population. The vaccine is just one bullet, but it is not likely to be the only solution, so my fear is that once it is given to most of us we start to get careless. Best we can realistically hope for is 60-65% effectiveness and we continue to distance and wear masks until we get this thing completely under control. We know masks/distancing works and we know the vaccine will have some efficacy. The combination of the two will hopefully be enough and ultimately gets us out of this mess. And then we can slowly start having some fun again. But obviously there will still be outbreaks and whatnot for the foreseeable future. Covid won't just go away. We need to continue looking at treatments in the next 5, 10, 20 years as well. That's probably more important than anything else.

Drop the mortality rate significantly with treatments, vaccinate (even if the vaccine is just 60% effective, that's a large help), and continue to be careful and distance when necessary (and honestly masks probably should be a thing until we get more effective treatment).

Yeah...it's very likely COVID will just hang around and be a looming threat for a few years.

The fact that people can spread it without feeling the symptoms is the sticking point.

Our great grandparents survived two world wars. It's learned behaviour, not inherent.

I don't like shitting on modern culture too much, it's pretty damn close to being the best of everything that humans have ever achieved. But if we have a blind spot, it's that some shit has become so easy that it's expected as part of the natural order of things. Having a million movies to choose from at any moment, or a million dining options, etc, etc. It's become so baked into human experience that removing any of that convenience becomes tantrum worthy.

spanish flu though?

Hey, ye olde generations bitched just as much about these kinds of things, even with people dying in the streets.

ya this

every generation had it much easier than the previous (at least for the last 200 years)

great grandparents got to farm with tractors not horses, got to read newspapers and have the radio - even the TV instead of telling stories around the outhouse

for sure....but the western world hasn't dealt with a calamitous event for a while. 1920s depression...1940s WWII.... that type of large scale suffering tends to make a generation or two somewhat humble and grateful.

Yeah...it's very likely COVID will just hang around and be a looming threat for a few years.

The fact that people can spread it without feeling the symptoms is the sticking point.

It's honestly depressing me already. Or maybe I'm just down this week. But I've had enough of it, yet I know we're probably not even halfway through having to deal with it.

This mask-living is just awful, seeing people's faces all covered up outside, so many stores not vacated but just closed, so many others vacated and permanently gone. No social interaction, no dating, no business lunches, evening drinks meetings. At least unless you don't want to go out of your way to catch something or give something to someone. It's really kinda getting to me now.

It's honestly depressing me already. Or maybe I'm just down this week. But I've had enough of it, yet I know we're probably not even halfway through having to deal with it.

This mask-living is just awful, seeing people's faces all covered up outside, so many stores not vacated but just closed, so many others vacated and permanently gone. No social interaction, no dating, no business lunches, evening drinks meetings. At least unless you don't want to go out of your way to catch something or give something to someone. It's really kinda getting to me now.

tell me about it. I get 'covid burnout" a few days every month. I'd kill to be in LA and not be trapped indoors from November to March.

Back