• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

No bias here folks. I report what I see! Emotion-free reporting. Give me good news and I'll fire it off. Finally got some today!

No bias here folks. I report what I see! Emotion-free reporting. Give me good news and I'll fire it off. Finally got some today!

Oh...I'm not saying you have a bias or a method....it's the newsflow itself that alternates

Oh...I'm not saying you have a bias or a method....it's the newsflow itself that alternates
Uncertainties is the theme, which is quite scary! Today one of the looming questions has been answered. Still remains to be seen how much effectiveness will be impacted on the variant and whether further mutations fuck shit up even more but regardless today was as good as we needed.

Still nowhere near out and experts are still a bit panicked but this puts many folks at ease for the time being. But it is a ticking time bomb. We need to get needles in people and lessen that transmission asap.

J&J expects their data to be released next week. Fingers crossed for at least 80%!

A little tidbit on this vaccine. It isn't conventional either. They're using an adenovirus to carry the spike protein. This type of vector hasn't been done before, though it's being used by other vaccines like Sputnik; the Oxford one also uses an adenovirus, though a chimpanzee one instead of a human one.
One notable thing is that the spike protein used for J&J is very similar to the ones used for Moderna and BioNTech/Pfizer. Basically, their spike protein has been modified to be more stable and should give your immune system a good look at what it needs to attack. The wild type of spike protein apparently collapses into a different shape easily, and vaccines (e.g., Oxford) that use something closer to the wild type may not be as effective. In some sense, the J&J vaccine will be closer to the mRNA ones, even though its platform is similar to Oxford's

We need the US to finish ASAP. They'll get the first huge batch of this but by May or June they'll probably have an excess of doses between everything they have ordered assuming this vaccine gets approved. I doubt Canada sees any j&j till at least Q2. We have 38m on order. Covers the country.

so, jabbing the mrna vaccine into the arms of old frail people may not be the best idea.

two 90+ year olds in the extended family both dead within 2 weeks of receiving their first shot. in both cases there were no underlying conditions/no other signs they were that close to the end.

a third who got it (younger, but in a bad state physically) has gone completely off his rocker (though did have covid a few weeks before receiving the shot, which could be a contributing factor).

Nothing in that article refutes the fact that some people might be dying from the vaccine.

It doesn’t strain credulity that a vaccine that makes 1 in 5 people sick (fever, etc) is going to be harsh on very old people.

To be clear though — I’m not saying don’t vaccinate people.

Problem is, it really is hard to say something like "some people might be dying from the vaccine" when there is no evidence of any excess deaths or any kind of scientific explanation for how this would cause a death in the injectee.

Old people in nursing homes die. A lot of these people unfortunately have weaker immune systems and take a lot longer to develop antibodies. So a vaccine may take a lot longer to actually work on them in a meaningful way and they would still be susceptible to the virus. We are seeing this in my nursing home and the one in Barrie. These people are just really sick at baseline and can pretty much go at any time.

That’s moving the goal posts. The issue flagged in Norway isn’t that people are still catching the disease and dying from it after being vaccinated. Obviously that’s a risk.

The issue seems to be that they’re dying of “natural causes “shortly after getting it.

Time will tell, though this is unlikely to be evident in excess deaths given the relative size of the 95+ Population.

That’s moving the goal posts. The issue flagged in Norway isn’t that people are still catching the disease and dying from it after being vaccinated. Obviously that’s a risk.

The issue seems to be that they’re dying of “natural causes “shortly after getting it.

Time will tell, though this is unlikely to be evident in excess deaths given the relative size of the 95+ Population.

This is the thing though, nobody knows if these people died because of the vaccine or from other causes. The article outlines how many of these people die weekly with or without COVID, the vaccine, etc. Some of these people die after taking the vaccine, doesn't say anything about causation. And again, nothing in the vaccine or the subsequent immune response explains it causing somebody to die.

This was expected. Some people after taking this will develop heart attacks, strokes, get diagnosed with cancer, etc. It's important for the general public to understand actual medical incidences of these conditions and not just jump to thinking the vaccine is what is causing said condition.

Yeah, if you vaccinate 1000 people and 5 die shortly after, you need to know, given that age and population, how many would die in a normal time. Especially since the vaccine is going to the elderly, I don't know what the rate would be normally. But because vaccines are the thing now, people will walk about every case.

Like I always say, whenever they get fully self-driving cars on the roads, the first accident that kills a family with young kids is going to be horrible and cast doubts. But I doubt the media is going to say, "that is unfortunate for the Johnsons, but remember the 50000 other people that were not killed this week that would had died had self-driving cars not been here."

more schools opening next week. 4 PHUs covering 9 boards, including southwestern Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Ottawa.

Back