• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

From Blake Murphy's Mail Bag Article on March 24th :

Can those Bird rights be used for sign-and-trades if the Raptors don’t trade them now?

They can! However, two warnings: The first is that if a team acquires a player in a sign-and-trade, they are hard-capped for the year. An over-the-cap team trying to acquire Lowry at, say, a $25-million salary will have to be very careful about their proximity to that hard cap. The second is that teams with cap space don’t need you for a sign-and-trade. There are some scenarios where it’ll still be a helpful tool, but since players can no longer get extra term or salary in a sign-and-trade, it’s primarily a cap-circumvention weapon.

Because of those factors, and the need to get the player’s approval on any sign-and-trade, the return you’d get for either is probably smaller in the summer than it would be now. A trade now not only gives the acquiring team an extra playoff run with that player, it also gets them their Bird rights, which are very valuable, especially to cap-crunch teams.

Just reading that ringer draft report and a problem with this draft seems to be that none of them can shoot.

Just reading that ringer draft report and a problem with this draft seems to be that none of them can shoot.

I keep seeing that in scouting reports and they do it while explaining away good or better shooting percentages.

I'll steal the Ringer's mock draft order

3pt%

Cade: .400
Mobley: .300 (7 footer)
Suggs: .337
J Green: .300 (G League, NBA 3pt line)
Kuminga: .246 (G League)
Keon Johnson: .271 (our 1st bad shooter imo)
Mitchell: .447 (knock down, lights out shooter)
Wagner: .343
Sengun: Centre and not a modern one
Kai Jones: .382
Scottie Barnes: .275
Jalen Johnson: .444
Kispert: .440

It's always a red flag for me when an evaluator in any sport has to explain away results because something something doesn't set his feet right. blah blah kinetic chain. They either go in or they don't. Chris Boucher has some of the worst form I've ever seen and shot 39% this year.

I've seen Mitchell as a draft riser and linked to us because of his NCAA. Jalen Johnson intrigues me too based on very little. I've heard Barnes called Kawhi-ish

I feel like trying to find a "Kawhi" type player in the draft is kind of tough. Most elite scorers come into the league with obviously electric scoring ability. Kawhi was one of those weird cases of a guy with a tool really learning to exploit it over the course of a couple of seasons. If you're drafting a guy without obvious explosive offensive tools, you're probably going to end up with a defensive oriented role player.

Reactions: CH1
I've seen Mitchell as a draft riser and linked to us because of his NCAA. Jalen Johnson intrigues me too based on very little. I've heard Barnes called Kawhi-ish

Mitchell is that guy who gets picked 9th and 5 years later is either on the back of someone's bench quietly eyeing up opportunities in China, or scoring 25 a game and making everyone wonder how he dropped to 9th.

High boom bust eh?

Kind of. He's an interesting package of tools with a few holes though that are kind of repairable. He's 6'2 but kind of isn't a point guard, more of a Kemba Walker type there. Also a really good defender in the NCAA, but again 6'2. So it's entirely possible that his floor is something similar to Marcus Smart, where his ceiling is a better 2 way version of Kemba (has that Kemba floater game when he gets pushed off the 3pt line)

So he's quick, but I don't know if I would call him explosive (which is usually required for small guards to be #1-2 scoring options). He can pass and run an offence, but I don't know if I'd grade his IQ that high (works well out of P/R though). He's a dead eye shooter, but you don't see him create separation off of the dribble, it's almost entirely spot up.

So for every reason that I look at him and see someone who can be a feature player in the NBA, there's a "but" that makes me wonder if he's going to end up being the star for Wangchung Tigers. He's definitely of that Spider Mitchell, Kemba Walker mold though. Whether he's that guy or not, dunno.

Kai Jones is the wildcard

Stretch big who is a solid defender but is raw as hell offensively

We are great at player development , may take 3 years .

I know it’s a highlight package but this guys shot looks good. The stats might not be telling the whole story. Definitely doesn’t look like a case of a broken jumper.

27% from NCAA range is 27% man....

His athleticism is the only reason he's a 1st rounder, and yeah it's top of class but you have to be so sure that you can fix his shot because a guard with an inept 3 point shot just isn't an NBA player anymore.

On 1.8 attempts per game. Might be some projection needed there to see if we can get the percentages up but to me that shot looks like a good one. Considering what we’ve done with Siakam and OG coming into the league I’d like our chances.

we could use some of the athleticism/driving ability. He plays like a Zach Lavine.

Back