• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

so Masai’s contract is up.... gotta be closing in...
https://torontosun.com/sports/baske...wcm/9076ea06-3b78-4741-a61a-55af51d1a522/amp/

Larry Tanenbaum’s long-standing premise — that Masai Ujiri isn’t going anywhere — won’t be dealt with in any way until after this Raptors irregular season ends on Sunday.

Tanenbaum, the chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., admitted Monday in a rare e-mail exchange that “Masai and I agreed months ago that we would sit down after the season has concluded to address his contract.

690F0756-1D22-4200-9F81-7AEA4477ED15.gif

I get the same vibes from that piece as I did from any of the hopelessly optimistic reports about Kawhi staying.

He gone.

I still don't see where he's leaving for. We're as wealthy a sports organization as there is in North America, nobody is beating us on dollars. There's maybe 4-5 markets as big or bigger than ours and they're all pretty set on their management structures (or...Dolan).

Yeah, he stay. Not letting the PTSD get to me. ME has been the voice of reason through the whole process. #TrustME

I still don't see where he's leaving for. We're as wealthy a sports organization as there is in North America, nobody is beating us on dollars. There's maybe 4-5 markets as big or bigger than ours and they're all pretty set on their management structures (or...Dolan).

I hear ya. That all makes perfect sense.

Except for the fact that he’s steadfastly refused to discuss a contract extension with the Raptors, and is still unsigned now.

He gone.

I hear ya. That all makes perfect sense.

Except for the fact that he’s steadfastly refused to discuss a contract extension with the Raptors, and is still unsigned now.

He gone.

Or he wants to apply pressure and get paid. Paid an uncomfortably high, record breaking number for an exec and didn't want to deal with it during the season.

If there was a presitigious or big market club that wasn't locked in to their management, I'd be way more concerned, but as of right now this is normal. He's leaving Toronto to go where? If you want a good indication, look around the league. One of the best jobs in the NBA is the Golden State top spot. It's a job that I would be absolutely concerned about Ujiri wanting (despite his run in with local law enforcement) and that's a marquee organization that would feel that it had the ability to attract an exec like Ujiri. Welts is leaving at the end of the year and instead of waiting to see what Masai does, they hired their Alex Anthopolous basically. A guy who started in the ticket booth as a teenager.

He's not leaving Toronto for a mid (or lower) tier market and the good jobs are taken.

I could see Masai leaving for a more globally recognized position. Something that might not pay as well but might fulfill more on a global scale.

I still think he stays. Lots of money here to continue to build Giants of Africa.

I could see Masai leaving for a more globally recognized position. Something that might not pay as well but might fulfill more on a global scale.

I still think he stays. Lots of money here to continue to build Giants of Africa.

I see his next contract with flexible opt outs

I see his next contact with flexible opt outs

To leave for another nba team? Not a chance. That is always and should always be at the discretion of the club as to whether or not they allow another team to talk to a member of their organization and to negotiate compensation for letting him out of his contract.

To leave for a non NBA opportunity? He doesnt need an opt out for that. Same as any employment contract at that point. Want to go be the UN envoy for the growth of sports in Africa or some shit? Just give your notice and go.

To leave for another nba team? Not a chance. That is always and should always be at the discretion of the club as to whether or not they allow another team to talk to a member of their organization and to negotiate compensation for letting him out of his contract.

To leave for a non NBA opportunity? He doesnt need an opt out for that. Same as any employment contract at that point. Want to go be the UN envoy for the growth of sports in Africa or some shit? Just give your notice and go.

This is interesting how this has dragged on this long , unless they had a wink/wink deal in place

This is interesting how this has dragged on this long , unless they had a wink/wink deal in place

It doesn't sound like they have any sort of deal in place beyond Masai saying that he would talk to the organization about a new contract after he finished up handling the details of getting everyone out of Tampa and getting this season properly closed off.

Back