• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Re: OT - The Toronto Blue Jays

i can't believe there was no interest in him. he was basically healthy last year and had a pretty good season.

nice pickup. let's hope he sticks.

where exactly does he fit? 5th OF'er? Unless were carrying only 6 in the bullpen then it makes sense we brought him in. He was one of my fav Jays back when he was here.

The Jays are going to have a fantastic bench! It will give them so much flexability during games to really maximize the offense. I like it!

He's always been a real good hitter. Solid addition. I just hate the way this team is built though. JP really needs to go. Once again we can look forward to another third place finish. Woohoo

Shannon is injury depth until Adam Lind is ready for prime time. Plus there are questions about Reed Johnson's health and Matt Stairs' age. Nice pickup, but it is surprising there isn't a team out there with an open spot in the OF for this guy.

I'm amazed that teams weren't able to fit a .300 hitter into their line-up somewhere. Stewart walks a ton and gets on base at a great clip normally, so he has a lot of tangible offensive value. He's basically a superior player to Reed Johnson, minus the noodle arm (which he has always had due to a high school football injury), so it'll be interesting to see how he fits into the club dynamic.

If there is really one positive to this it's the fact that he will limit Johnson's playing time against righties and spare Matt Stairs some starts in the outfield, thereby increasing his effectiveness by limiting his playing time. The bench is looking really deep now with Stairs, Stewart and Scutaro. Add in a mid-season promotion from Curtis Thigpen from Syracuse if Barajas can't handle the back-up catching duties and Lind starting the season with Syracuse to get some much-needed full-time starts and I'm really liking the way the offence is shaping up.

It's like J.P. finally realized the value of having a deep bench to account for injuries. The best move of the off-season was grabbing Scutaro as the super-sub and signing Eckstein to handle the load at short-stop, thereby demoting John McDonald to the bench (as he is a fantastic late-innings defensive replacement but hardly starting material). This move is right up there though. Nice signing that was off the radar.

big fan of this signing.

this guy in any year now can be the "moneyball" signing of the offseason - if he can stay healthy, he's a legit good hitter. he's a pretty good fielder too, aside from his popgun arm.

especially with the question marks around both Stairs and Reed, this is a very good depth signing.

hell, if he stays healthy, he can give us legit star-quality numbers (.850ops)...although that's probably unlikely.

big fan of this signing.

this guy in any year now can be the "moneyball" signing of the offseason - if he can stay healthy, he's a legit good hitter. he's a pretty good fielder too, aside from his popgun arm.

especially with the question marks around both Stairs and Reed, this is a very good depth signing.

hell, if he stays healthy, he can give us legit star-quality numbers (.850ops)...although that's probably unlikely.

the thing is, his low end numbers are slightly above average for johnson.

this signing is exactly why i'm pissed that they're paying $3.5mn to johnson.

dump him and put the $3mn saved towards an incentive-laden deal for colon. the jays will have a high-risk lineup, but the top end potential would be simply phenomenal.

the thing is, his low end numbers are slightly above average for johnson.

this signing is exactly why i'm pissed that they're paying $3.5mn to johnson.

dump him and put the $3mn saved towards an incentive-laden deal for colon. the jays will have a high-risk lineup, but the top end potential would be simply phenomenal.

Johnson's a hard call, but he had a huge year 2 years ago.

$3.5 really is nothing, though. you can't even buy a mediocre middle reliever for $3.5 mil.

If Johnson comes anywhere near his last healthy year, he's a massive bargain.

DAMMIT

they should have pushed hard for colon, clement. prior.. one of those guys. there were about 5 of them available this off season, and given the jays situation, any one of them would have been a great pickup. for the jays to have a prayer the team needs its pitching to be extremely good and consistent. with burnett's injury concerns, marcum's slow second half and mcgowan's inexperience and questionable delivery there are still question marks surrounding the rotation, talented as it may be. by adding one of the aforementioned arms, the blue jays add insurance, and also add a player who, if all the pieces fall into place, everybody repeats and that player rounds back into form, would give the jays the most formidable rotation in the AL.

Johnson's a hard call, but he had a huge year 2 years ago.

$3.5 really is nothing, though. you can't even buy a mediocre middle reliever for $3.5 mil.

If Johnson comes anywhere near his last healthy year, he's a massive bargain.

yeah but those incentive-laden deals were all 500k-1mn base plus another 2-3mn in incentives.

that's where im' saying that money should have gone to.

as for johnson repeating his 06 season... that season was as big an outlier as his 07 campaign. he's not going to hit 320 and post an 870 ops.

Colon's been done for some time now. Major weight issues as well with him. Clement and Prior were looking for 1 year deals in places they could succeed (the NL of course). Prior ended up in San Diego, the best park to pitch in the NL, Clement in St. Louis who we did have intrest in. Both of them are better bets to have some nice #'s and turn it into a nice contract next winter then they would in Toronto in the AL East.

I think the Jays are fed up with trying to sign the injured veteran depth pitchers....it hasn't worked out for them recently.

Those 3 are all old and have been beyond awful the past couple of years. Like really, really bad.

I think they'd much rather rely on the guys they have already - after the starting 4, they've got all of Litsch, Janssen, Chacin, Wolfe, Banks, and Purcey for depth.

I think the Jays are fed up with trying to sign the injured veteran depth pitchers....it hasn't worked out for them recently.

fed up? they tried it in ONE season.

and they brought in a couple of career 4th/5th starters, not a former cy young winner.

Those 3 are all old and have been beyond awful the past couple of years. Like really, really bad.

prior is 28. clement is 34.

I think they'd much rather rely on the guys they have already - after the starting 4, they've got all of Litsch, Janssen, Chacin, Wolfe, Banks, and Purcey for depth.

of course they are going to rely on halladay, burnett, mcgowan and marcum. taht doesn't change the fact that three of those pitchers have question marks. and you cannot depend on one pitcher in that list you've provided. three of thsoe pitchers aren't there yet (wolfe, banks and purcey), chacin has been as bad and as injured as the vets i mentioned. litsch's stuff isn't very good and there is a good chance that he sees a big dropoff like chacin on his second or third go around. janssen i like, but who nkows how he'll adapt coming back out of the pen.

Back