• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: World Politics

Easy there bud, your shakras are way out of alignment. Have you considered a health medium and crystal therapy?
Chakras are fine.
Would you kindly get your other lefty ass source to read this lefty ass source, because the last lefty ass source called the guy released a "political prisoner". I didn't choose the term, your source did.

And I never contested it. I'm sure there's some political prisoners. I'm also quite sure it's vastly overstated by the establishment media who have been beating the regime change drum over Venezula.

I'd be more interested in your warmongering regime change sources reading it, as I'm sure Norton already has ... and maybe came to a different conclusion.

In the UK? Failing to appear for an extradition hearing from the Swedish charges. In the US, maybe the espionage act. Maybe conspiracy to commit "computer intrusion" (as part of the Chelsea Manning breach).

Of course, none of this is trumped up.

Assange sought asylum due to the refusal to allow him to be interviewed by Swedish authorities in the UK -- something they have done regularly in the past. The worry was that there was a grand jury in the US that would indict him and attempt to have him extradited. That's exactly what's happening and it's why he's currently being tortured and deprived off all rights in a British prison. Yes, he's been charged under the Espionage Act -- just like Daniel Elsberg was.

Of course, none of this is trumped up.

Weird, it's almost like I didn't say this:

he's facing charges because he may have...may have (a number of smart legal types don't think he's actually guilty of violating the espionage act) broken the law.

I've already suggested that the charges might not be solid.

Assange sought asylum due to the refusal to allow him to be interviewed by Swedish authorities in the UK -- something they have done regularly in the past. The worry was that there was a grand jury in the US that would indict him and attempt to have him extradited. That's exactly what's happening and it's why he's currently being tortured and deprived off all rights in a British prison. Yes, he's been charged under the Espionage Act -- just like Daniel Elsberg was.

Cool. Elsberg stayed, fought the charges, and won.

I've already suggested that the charges might not be solid.
So, not a criminal?

Cool. Elsberg stayed, fought the charges, and won.

Here's the thing -- Elsberg was a US citizen living in the US. Assange is a Australian citizen who has never, I don't think, lived in the US. Why would the US have the right to reach beyond its borders to charge a foreign national with its domestic laws and demand their extradition?

So, not a criminal?

Pending.

Here's the thing -- Elsberg was a US citizen living in the US. Assange is a Australian citizen who has never, I don't think, lived in the US. Why would the US have the right to reach beyond its borders to charge a foreign national with its domestic laws and demand their extradition?

Treaties and shit.

Seriously though, it's little different than the US pressing charges on a foreign national for cyber crime, financial fraud, etc which happens all the time. When your crime is negotiating for, receiving, and releasing US state secrets, because he didn't do it from missouri, they're supposed to...not pursue him? This is what the treaties and shit everyone has been signing for the last 100 years or so is for.

Not that they're moral equivalents by any stretch, but El Chapo is a Mexican citizen who has never lived in the US. He's rightfully sitting in an American prison right now.

It's trumped up bullshit. He exposed their crimes and this is payback.

He exposed their crimes by potentially committing a crime. It might be trumped up nonsense. Society of rules and law (however unevenly applied in practice at times) and all of that.

He didn't commit a crime, unless you consider exposing war crimes to be a crime.

You know who is pressing those charges, right? The Rules and Laws administration of Donald Trump.

Yep. Slashing government programs -- already discussed.

People resist and are met with authoritarian repression. But, no worries, these are our allies.

As ordained by Chile’s dictatorship-era constitution, the state of emergency will apply to Santiago and can last for 15 days. It grants the government additional powers to restrict citizens’ freedom of movement and their right to assembly. Ominously, soldiers will return to the streets for the first time since an earthquake devastated parts of the country in 2010.

“The aim is to ensure public order and the safety of public and private property,” President Sebastián Piñera said in a televised address, “There will be no room for violence in a country with the rule of law at its core.”

Suspending the rule of law to uphold the rule of law. Remarkable.

The latest protests follow grievances over the cost of living, specifically the costs of healthcare, education and public services. Unsatisfied by partial reforms following widespread education protests in 2011, the metro fare rise has proved the spark that has awoken Chile’s formidable student body, according to psychiatrist and writer Marco Antonio de la Parra.

But, no worries, these are our allies.

Are you suggesting that it's not being covered or something?

The wire services are tweeting about it as well. But it's a busy news day...Hong Kong protests have picked up again, Brexit fuckery continues, there's a shit show in Syria, a Canadian election, 2 nuclear superpowers are staring at each other across a disputed territory with fingers on triggers, etc.

Austerity is a conservative policy.

Full stop.

Untrue. It was Chretien's Liberals that dismantled much of Canada's social welfare state (i.e., Paul Martin hacking the health and social transfer, gutting EI, privatizing the CPP, etc.). Blair did much of the same in the UK. Clinton did tons of it in the US.

I'll await the condemnation and sanctions that come to the non-allies for less.

Eh? It took a solid couple of years after the unrest started in Venezuela before the US placed sanctions, and the first set of sanctions were personal sanctions on like 9 guys, nothing on national industries or national access to markets, etc.

So yeah, if this unrest in Chile goes on for a couple more years.....

Back