• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Pre-Season GDT: Canes @ Tampa 9/17 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The pre-season gets underway with a visit to the defending President’s Trophy winners and first round sweep victims. We’ll see whether Pride or Passion is playing tonight later, as the game group will skate at PNC at 10:15 and then head to Tampa. The game will be broadcast on the Canes website and on WRALSportsFan.com

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The roster for this game, only had a handful of NHLers on it.

Teams have to dress 8 “veterans” for preseason games. For purposes of the rule, Suzuki qualifies as the 1st round pick. Players who played in at least 30 games the previous season or dresses for 50 games if they’re a goalie or who have played in 100 NHL games are classified as veterans. So Fleury doesn’t qualify (20 games last year, 87 total) but Brian Gibbons does (169 games played). Based on that, I only count 7 veterans; Pesce, McGinn, Gibbons, Reimer, Martinook, Suzuki and Wallmark.

JamesNorthern

Our 1st rounder Suzuki is considered a vet? Huh?
If not that is only 6 NHL "veterans" by definition of pre-season games.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Either way, that's Carolina's 4th line, spare parts and a bunch of children up front backed up by Fleury/Pesce, more spare parts and Reimer in net. That's an evaluation roster, not a win the game roster ... which is absolutely fine.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Our 1st rounder Suzuki is considered a vet? Huh?
If not that is only 6 NHL "veterans" by definition of pre-season games.
Yes, by rule the current year 1st round draft choice qualifies as a vet. It’s in CBA 15.4(c)

c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season, (3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or (4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games. The matter of Player participation in Exhibition Games shall be referred to the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee for its consideration and recommendations, if any, in accordance with Article 22.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Also, didn't they get a one game waiver on the 8 Vet rule last year? I seem to recall that they did.

JamesNorthern

Sort of off topic, but anybody else worried about Reimer as our backup, I guess the goaltending situation entirely? Yeah optimistically he will surprise us... anyway

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Sort of off topic, but anybody else worried about Reimer as our backup, I guess the goaltending situation entirely? Yeah optimistically he will surprise us... anyway
It's been a topic of conversation, yeah. Personally, I'm willing to wait and see how it pans out. It's not like he's the only option to back up Mrazek. And as for Mrazek I don't know what else you needed the guy to do last year in order to earn the job. If he'll simply play to his career average, then the Canes are fine.

TheBigKahuna

This is a scrimmage roster. These guys get to show something tonight, or go home tomorrow.

I hope Reimer finds his mojo. But man, I'm pessimistic on him. Hope I'm wrong.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
McElhinney is on the roster for the Bolts tonight, along with Stamkos, Gourde, Killorn, Coburn, McDonagh.

JFG

Help Please ... How does one watch tonight's game on say Roku or Apple TV? Thanks.

cmaleski2

Teams have to dress 8 “veterans” for preseason games. For purposes of the rule, Suzuki qualifies as the 1st round pick. Players who played in at least 30 games the previous season or dresses for 50 games if they’re a goalie or who have played in 100 NHL games are classified as veterans. So Fleury doesn’t qualify (20 games last year, 87 total) but Brian Gibbons does (169 games played). Based on that, I only count 7 veterans; Pesce, McGinn, Gibbons, Reimer, Martinook, Suzuki and Wallmark.
I'm not so sure they didn't amend this rule at some point after the CBA was signed (using that "Competition Committee" clause, they could have amended those rules after the CBA was published at any point). You are right andyt, if we followed that documented CBA rule 100% then the Canes are short a vet. Fleury played 29 NHL games last season if you include the 9 playoff games and his 20 regular season games. My assumption is that at some point they adjusted this clause and no one really knows that was done. Or maybe if the other team doesn't complain no one cares and Fleury is 'close enough'?

Last edited:

StormChaserBH

Anybody else just getting a "...begin shortly" screen?
yup... it just came on with a minute or so of video, now on a media timeout I think.. I saw 1-0 Canes in the corner

Now it's back. 1-0 Canes; McCormick the goal scorer. Lightning feed; Espo and the other guy. Video & audio not anywhere close to synced up... might as well mute and take my chances with John & Tripp on wralsportsfan for the audio... can't get any worse.

TheBigKahuna

I can't find it. I'm in the website on my tv, but don't see a feed anywhere. Just options to subscribe to the subscription service.

Last edited: