• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Round 2 Game 5 GDT: Canes v. Lightning 6/8 6:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes fight to keep their season alive.

Nino practiced yesterday and should be in the lineup barring a setback today. Foefeel and Trocheck will be game time decisions. Foefeel played 14:25 ineffective minutes on Saturday; no shot attempts, no hits, just a guy in a Canes jersey skating around. Ned was in the starter’s crease at practice yesterday. With no morning skate today, expect him to start.

The Bolts have never lost a series when leading 3-1, they’re 11-0 and never had to go to game 7.

NBCSN for TV tonight.

I want my Hurricanes flag to stay up and the only way that can happen is for them to win.

Going to this game with a certain amount of dread. Our collapse on Saturday doesn't inspire much confidence when Tampa has built a commanding lead in this series. It's do or die time, so I hope the boys can rise to the occasion and give the home fans something to feel happy about.

I would expect a very spirited game from our guys tonight. Zero passengers. All going full tilt every shift. If we stay out of the box we have a good chance of winning this one. If not, tip your cap to a very good team and cheer the boys on anyway.

It would be great if Tro can suit up and be effective. Nino too. We are a different beast with them in the line up.

Want some good juju? The Checkers won the Calder Cup 2 years ago today. Ned, Necas, Geekie and Lorentz and Bean were on the ice for it.

I'd like to see a win at home and a spirited effort for the home fans to enjoy...the last two games at home have not been a lot of fun and there has not been an awful lot to get loud and rowdy for. We all knew it was going to be a tall order to get past Tampa in this division and at this point now you just have to somehow treat these one game at a time and hope for the best.

Win this one.. Tomorrow can wait., Also stay out of the damned penalty box. no cheapies.. (Yes Svech I'm looking at you)

Last edited:
I loved a statement Brind'Amour made yesterday to the effect of ... I'm not going to have trouble convincing them that there's no tomorrow, because there isn't.

Seriously ... this is last stand time for the Canes. All hands on deck, scorch the earth, damn the torpedoes, take no prisoners kind of stuff. Problem being that full frontal assaults on Tampa's defenses don't tend to work out that great. They counter punch as well as they attack, so it takes a more measured approach. Florida tried to slug them into submission and it fizzled like a wet fuse. Still, go dig in and empty the tanks, boys. Give 'em your best and smartest effort.

Here is the lineup based on yesterday’s practice. Nino and Trocheck will take the warmup and are “hopeful” to play. Foefeel is 50/50. And RBA said he’d let everyone “marinate” on the goalie, but Ned was in the starter’s crease yesterday.

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Fast
Paquette-Lorentz-Martinook

Slavin-Hamilton
Bean-Pesce
Skjei-Hakanpaa

Today’s officials:

Referees:
Wes McCauley #4, Chris Lee #28

Linesmen:
Jonny Murray #95, Mark Shewchyk #92

Wes kept a low profile last time we saw him earlier in Round 2 after the brutal butchering of the Game 5 Round 1 goalie interference call. Hopefully he continues to stay out of the way.

Wes kept a low profile last time we saw him earlier in Round 2 after the brutal butchering of the Game 5 Round 1 goalie interference call. Hopefully he continues to stay out of the way.
Well, we all know Chris Lee won't call anything unless he freaking has to. So maybe if they both stay schtum we can get a modestly fair game out of it. I mean, that's clearly too much to ask. I expect to see the Canes get hosed.

"Foefeel played 14:25 ineffective minutes on Saturday; no shot attempts, no hits, just a guy in a Canes jersey skating around."

Your assessment is why I'm 100% ok with the Canes moving on from him. Like so many kids before him, he comes in and right away shows all kinds of skill and potential. And then the well runs dry. He's become a bigger liability than an asset. And has the reputation of a player who is dirty, dives, etc. I think they're a better team without him. I've gone sour on locker room superstar, Martinook, too.

We could use Nino around the net right about now. He fills a valuable role. Not sure how banged up Foefeel is. He is normally a dangerous player with a knack for scoring unexpected goals in the playoffs, or at least stirring the pot. It wouldn't shock me to hear he's going under the knife after the season's done.

Let's Go 'Canes! Win this one to get to the next one.

Jim

Back