• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Team Canada/2020 World Juniors

I didn't see the first two periods, but I watched the third. Fun hockey. This tournament never disappoints.

MVP: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

Top Goalie: Joel Hofer, CAN.
Top Defenceman: Rasmus Sandin, SWE.
Top Forward: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

All-Star Team:
Goalie: Joel Hofer, CAN.
Defenceman: Alexander Romanov, RUS.
Defenceman: Rasmus Sandin, SWE.
Forward: Samuel Fagemo, SWE.
Forward: Barrett Hayton, CAN.
Forward: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

MVP: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

Top Goalie: Joel Hofer, CAN.
Top Defenceman: Rasmus Sandin, SWE.
Top Forward: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

All-Star Team:
Goalie: Joel Hofer, CAN.
Defenceman: Alexander Romanov, RUS.
Defenceman: Rasmus Sandin, SWE.
Forward: Samuel Fagemo, SWE.
Forward: Barrett Hayton, CAN.
Forward: Alexis Lafreniere, CAN.

Sandin-Romanov as top d-men is fine with me. I'd have Romanov above Sandin, but I won't argue about it.

Love the schizo hockey of that tournament. But one thing never changes-international refereeing remains as bad as it was in the days of Kompala/Bader. No flow in the first two periods due to over reffing, and they still get many calls majorly wrong.

We complain about NHL reffing, but international games always remind me of how bad it could be.

The IIHF refs are a lot worse than NHL ones, no doubt.

But I've maintained this my whole life, and I see nothing to change my opinion: I have always, always preferred the IIHF's standard of calling the game in terms of penalties, icings, etc. over the NHL's. The NHL referees will put their whistles away because of this idiotic notion that they "want the players to decide the game", which results in the complete opposite of what they're going for.

A penalty at 10:00 in the first period should be a penalty at 1:00 in the third period of a tied game.

Points in this tournament mean little to nothing to me, honestly.

Yup , it’s a nice stat and pads a players ranking but dozens of players were stars in this tourney and can’t produce in the big league .

Yup , it’s a nice stat and pads a players ranking but dozens of players were stars in this tourney and can’t produce in the big league .

What it means for him in the NHL is a completely different argument.

The defenseman who finished 4th in tournament scoring got named the best in this tournament. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

What it means for him in the NHL is a completely different argument.

The defenseman who finished 4th in tournament scoring got named the best in this tournament. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

No one cares unless Sandin turns into an NHL solid Dman .

I couldn’t care less if Romanov scored 20 points and broke records if he turns into an average D

What it does is improve rankings and gives a team a top prospect in the system and a major trade chip if required .

I couldn’t care less if Romanov scored 20 points and broke records if he turns into an average D

What it does is improve rankings and gives a team a top prospect in the system and a major trade chip if required .

Again... to reiterate... right now, we’re literally ONLY talking about if he should’ve been named defenseman of the tournament.

Yeah, they need to wait 5 years and give out the top WJC dman award retroactively.

... what’s the reasoning?

Google Gabriel Bourque and his 8 point game against Kazakhstan.

Almost ever year, there's one player that has a monster game against one of the lower tier teams. Every year, stats are padded against the lower-tier teams. I use Gabriel Bourque as an example because he finished his tournament with 9 total points. He did almost nothing else outside of that one game.

It's also a chaotic tournament with minimal structure, tons of mistakes due to short-term pairings without much chemistry and it isn't "real" everyday hockey. That leads to a much more open kind of game, which leads to more opportunities, which leads to greater point totals...

I'm not calling Sandin a bum or a shitty defenseman. I'm not even arguing that he shouldn't be named top d-man. I preferred Romanov because while his point totals weren't as high, his defensive play was superb. He was more or less named the second best d-man, whatever. Twelve of one, half a dozen of another. Obviously, it's great that Sandin puts up superb numbers, but to evaluate how a player did in the tournament because of point totals? It's obviously nice, but it doesn't mean much to me.

When I watched Lafrenière, I didn't need to look at his point totals to know that he was head and shoulders better than everyone else in the tournament. There was nobody else he should have been in the running for tournament MVP.

Back