• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

LeafGm

Hmm yeah that sounds right.

That might actually be a real problem - we may not even be able to use that emergency call up for a short term D injury if spezza is sitting there in the press box.

That’s a question I have, though.

Are we only limited to one “emergency recall”? And does position factor in?

Like, if we had Spezza sitting in the press box and one of the goalies couldn’t dress for a game, presumably we’d be able to emergency recall a goalie instead of putting Spezza in goalie gear.

So is it the same thing for D? If you have fewer than six healthy defenseman on the roster, would they let you emergency recall a D even if you have an extra forward sitting in the press box?

BeLeafer

resurrected
I think they have to move an above min contract to make this season viable. Get a decent 1bish goalie and still have enough cap to keep enough roster players around.

There's only two that fit the bill that are at least somewhat expendable (particularly with Mikheyev's and Moore's emergence as solid top 9 forwards): Kappy or AJ.

LeafGm

Well, AJ for sure isn't going anywhere. Say what you will about Moore & Mikheyev, but Johnsson is still clearly our most proven, best left-shooting winger at the moment, and has been a fixture in our top-6 since midway through last year.

Kapanen might arguably be more expendable on a team that already has Nylander & Marner, but unless you think he's already hit his ceiling, you're not trading him at the high point of his value if you trade him this year. He's also a very reasonable cap hit for the next three years.

So, I still don't see it. I don't think you're sacrificing multiple years of one of those guys or trading them for a sub-optimal return just because the cap is tight this year and you're not satisfied with the backup goalie position.

And if Hutchinson does truly end up being a disaster, I'd roll the dice and give Kaskisuo a try before I'd go for more drastic measures.

zeke

that's more intriguing for sure.

thing is I look around the league and dependable goalies are looking pretty scarce.

leafman101

Ceci makes the most sense if you have to move someone to clear space. He makes the most of any expendable player, has no long term future here, and we have Dermott to plug in, with Sandin/Lilly waiting in the wings.

LeafGm

Ceci makes the most sense if you have to move someone to clear space. He makes the most of any expendable player, has no long term future here, and we have Dermott to plug in, with Sandin/Lilly waiting in the wings.

Yep.

Who knows, maybe pumping & dumping Ceci this season was the plan all along.

Preston

Yep.

Who knows, maybe pumping & dumping Ceci this season was the plan all along.
Could be, but pumping any d in this marketplace is a difficult task. I'm pretty sure Barrie is going to cost himself money this year, much like Gardiner did.

zeke

i'm not sure Ceci's trade value is on par with his actual play so far, though.

he's been kinda really good.

leaffan2005

I think Ceci has been excellent thus far. You definitely do not dump him at this point for a backup goalie.

If only they didn't dump Mac..

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I think Ceci has been excellent thus far. You definitely do not dump him at this point for a backup goalie.

If only they didn't dump Mac..
Couldn't afford McEl this year anyway. If we could, we would have been able to take the superior Casey Desmith on waivers a couple of weeks ago.

The Mucho effect.

zeke

Part of that is the refs being shit, especially in our game against Boston.

Another part is us giving up an average of almost 40 shots per game over that three game period.
Even Strength Shots last 3 gms:

TOR 28 - WSH 27
TOR 29 - BOS 36
TOR 22 - CBJ 27

WellPlayed

I knew all the press about the Leafs drawing the most penalties to start the year was going to backfire. We can't have that.