• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

Jeremy

Matthews, Marner, Nylander are just entering their primes. Stick with the core unless we’re sure we can improve the team. As bad as this was, we will learn and grow going through this.

MyNameIsJonas

The lack of effort and urgency is what I can’t understand
And just all of a sudden be a dump and chase plug team because thats what your opponent is? It's amazing really. The Babcock Leafs looked better than these Leafs the last 3 games. At least the Babcock Leafs were used to that style

LeafOfFaith

I dont want to take away from what Tavares and Muzzin mean to the Leafs, but almost no amount of injuries is an excuse for blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Habs in the first round. This isnt a CF against a legit team. And there is certainly no excuse for the lackluster effort of some of the big boys.
It’s no excuse. They should be hanged. But the reality is that JT would’ve meant a series win and we got robbed. One way or another, things just always go to shit for us.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I think with Marner though it's rough to expect another team to do a star swap (maybe Eichel and the Sabres)

I think there's a few guys around the league that could be available if you're willing to go 2 or more pieces (player + good picks or good prospects) for 1 which as long as the main piece coming back is really good, maybe you can live with that and the cap space being worth it. Eichel is a definite situation you look in on if his neck checks out. Tkachuk in Calgary is another. Kick tires in Vancouver on Emil & Boeser. Basically anyone who is a good, fast 1st line wing. Eichel might honestly make too much sense. I've never thought much of him as a centre.

MyNameIsJonas

I think there's a few guys around the league that could be available if you're willing to go 2 or more pieces (player + good picks or good prospects) for 1 which as long as the main piece coming back is really good, maybe you can live with that and the cap space being worth it. Eichel is a definite situation you look in on if his neck checks out. Tkachuk in Calgary is another. Kick tires in Vancouver on Emil & Boeser. Basically anyone who is a good, fast 1st line wing. Eichel might honestly make too much sense. I've never thought much of him as a centre.
What are you willing to kick in on top of Marner to get Eichel?

Also, i can entirely see the Sabres taking less to avoid moving him in division.

MyNameIsJonas

Tkachuk is interesting, if it's true he's hated that much. Van is a disaster, so sure.

Florida? Huberdeau?

LeafOfFaith

We lose all those trades. There’s no such thing as Marner turning into a pumpkin when playoffs start, no more than it’s true for Matthews.

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
What are you willing to kick in on top of Marner to get Eichel?

Also, i can entirely see the Sabres taking less to avoid moving him in division.
No way they get a better offer elsewhere. If I'm the Sabres, I don't wait for the leafs to call... I'd make the call.