• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

LeafGm

Since the mother****ing off-season is over, especially with the signing of our last RFA, I figured it's time for a new thread.

To kick it off, the Leafs have trimmed some of the fat from their training camp roster:

The following seven players have been reassigned to their CHL teams: Mikhail Abramov (Victoriaville), Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (Peterborough), Filip Kral (Spokane), Kalle Loponen (Sudbury), Marc-Antoine Pepin (Shawinigan), Nicholas Robertson (Peterborough) and Riley Stotts (Calgary).

The following 15 players have been reassigned to the Toronto Marlies (AHL) and will skate with the Maple Leafs Player Development Staff ahead of the Marlies' 2019 training camp, which will open on September 24: Matthew Bradley, Justin Brazeau, Giorgio Estephan, Brady Ferguson, Alex Gudbranson, Ryan Johnston, Michael Kapla, Aaron Luchuk, Tanner MacMaster, Zach O'Brien, Scott Pooley, Marcus Power, Sergei Sapego, Ian Scott and Maksim Zhukov.

So, none of their 2019 draft picks will be sticking around for camp, and Rasmus Sandin & Mac Hollowell are their only 2018 draft picks still in camp. That leaves them with 31 forwards, 17 defensemen & 6 goaltenders in camp.

I'm a little surprised Nick Robertson won't get a look in a pre-season game or two, but it looks like the Leafs are getting down to business pretty quickly. Anyone who was going to be playing in the CHL for sure this year has been sent to join their team, presumably since the CHL season starts this coming week.

The rest of the players cut are all guys that will be competing for jobs with the Marlies but could very well end up staying behind in Newfoundland to play with the Newfoundland Growlers in the ECHL.

BeLeafer

resurrected
I'd guess the juniors getting cut this early is 'cause they need a good look at the pro level depth guys competing for spots. Not many games to make their cases.

Matrim

Yeah no reason for Robertson to be here, he wasn't making the team so he can go down and get ready to have a dominate season in the OHL.

Wayward DP

So I am seeing...
Kappy-Tavares-Marner
xxxxx-Spezza-xxxx
xxxx-Goat-xxx
xxx-Brooks-xxxx

not sure which wingers will play with which centres after the top line, but that leaves Baptiste, Bracco, Elyniuk, Engvall, Korshkov, Marchment, Moore, Timashov.

If I had to guess, I'd guess Engvall-Brooks-Marchment was a line; Bracco will get the RW spot with Spezza and maybe Moore, and then Goat gets the rest? who knows.

On D though it is a lot more interesting.

Muzzin-Barrie
Gravel-Holl
Marincin-Schmaltz
Duszak

The four vets get first cracks at making an impression for those bottom two spots it would seem. But, no Harpur, for whatever that is worth.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
So do they have the capspace to start Lilly and/or Sandin on the roster?
At a glance, I think so. Subtract everyone on LTIR and get rid of Holl and you're at 80.526 million. Lilly and Sandin instead of say Harpur and Schmaltz is about a 300K difference. People smarter than me have to figure out how it all works when Hyman comes back though.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Wow....kid hit manhood hard.
and he's still just a puppy. Turned 20 in April.

Training camp roster lists him at 6'0 192, but as that's basically what he was at the draft combine (5'11.25 190), I'm going to go ahead an assume the kid is about 6'0-6'1 205 now.