• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mitchell Marner Contract Watch Thread

Volcanologist

his
So I think Matthews might have a trick shoulder, he's young and has had back problems and he'll be the opponent's main focus...I can see him losing ten games a season easy.
His back problems were due to screws in his leg, which he had removed this offseason.

basically he's had two shoulder injuries(not he same one_. that isn't enough of a sample for me to call him injury prone, although you're far from the only one.

Bleedsblue&white

I don't like idea, or the term really, "injury prone".
I think people can be reckless in nature which could lead to situations, but I am not saying because He's been hurt he'll get hurt, I am thinking that shoulders pop in and out, and I just figure he'll be in front of the net and take a good one that gets him wrong.

Hey he could play 82 games, hope so.

uncus

I expect Willy to shut alot of people up this year. If he doesn't, I'll be extremely disappointed. Either way, this is a big year for him I think. We probably find out if he has that extra gear we've all been waiting for or if he settles in as a 60-65ish point guy.

I think he breaks 80. Alot will depend if he ends up on PP1 though.
Are you confident enough to put 50 bucks on that?

I think marner ends up in the 80 point range this season, and nylander in the 60 point range, per his usual.

Also, I think this is the year you dabble with the two youngsters on defence. Give them both some time to grow into the NHL.
Babcock is pretty good for helping young talent to succeed on the leafs.

Next season will be their true test when they get dropped into the number 3 and 4 spots, with no barrie or muzzin to help out.

How many games are lilly and sandin allowed to play before it effects their status for the Seattle draft?

If there is no problem, then give them each at least 15 to 20 games throughout the season. Imho.

LeafGm

Why did Matthews have screws in his leg?

He got hit with a knee-on-knee back in 2013 when he was with the US development team and broke his femur. FWIW, he also missed just shy of a month during his draft year in Switzerland with a back injury.

So while it's too early to label him "injury prone", I can understand having that concern.

Hopefully he puts it to bed somewhat this year with a fairly injury-free season.

BeLeafer

resurrected
He got hit with a knee-on-knee back in 2013 when he was with the US development team and broke his femur. FWIW, he also missed just shy of a month during his draft year in Switzerland with a back injury.
Thanks, did not know about any of that. Let's hope it's behind him.

LeafOfFaith

Are you confident enough to put 50 bucks on that?

I think marner ends up in the 80 point range this season, and nylander in the 60 point range, per his usual.

Also, I think this is the year you dabble with the two youngsters on defence. Give them both some time to grow into the NHL.
Babcock is pretty good for helping young talent to succeed on the leafs.

Next season will be their true test when they get dropped into the number 3 and 4 spots, with no barrie or muzzin to help out.

How many games are lilly and sandin allowed to play before it effects their status for the Seattle draft?

If there is no problem, then give them each at least 15 to 20 games throughout the season. Imho.
With the toys gone and both Muzzin and Barrie in the fold, this is the year to be predicting stratospheric offensive stats for the studs, not expecting a decrease.

LeafOfFaith

Barring injury, Matty and Marner are both candidates to hit 100. Tavares in the 90s. Nylander 70-80. Rielly and Barrie 70+.

This is going to be globetrotter level offense.

leafman101

Odds are on a huge offensive season. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kappy, Johnsson, Kerfoot, and Rielly are all between 22-25 when they should have their peak offensive seasons.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I just hope our PP actually moves and does shit this year. The whole "stand around and wait for Mitch to pass it in off of you" thing was fucking terrible. More movement. Get Auston into the high slot, take the anchor off of Marner and let him move his feet a little bit around the perimeter. Put Willy on that far wing (sets up Willy one-timers, as well as quick passes to Auston's fast ass release from the high slot)

Preston

I just hope our PP actually moves and does shit this year. The whole "stand around and wait for Mitch to pass it in off of you" thing was fucking terrible. More movement. Get Auston into the high slot, take the anchor off of Marner and let him move his feet a little bit around the perimeter. Put Willy on that far wing (sets up Willy one-timers, as well as quick passes to Auston's fast ass release from the high slot)
JT is apparently in the Kadri position this year. Marner on the left, Matty on the right. Johnsson in front of the net.