Yes sure hope so. I still don't get why and how Chychrun fell so much in draft.Would be amazing if Liljregren falls for no reason like Chychrun did last year. Kinda setting up that way.
1. a complete roster overhaul - only 3 players remain from 3yrs ago - Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner.
2. 4 top 10 picks without one miss - Matthews Marner Nylander Rielly all impact players already.
3. a clean cap situation with no crippling contracts to non-core player's. the only one close here is the Zaitsev contract which is a moderate caphit and may well end up good value yet.
4. targetting and getting the best UFA of the last decade.
5. only 2 players older than 28 on the roster - Marleau and hainsey - both complementary wily vet leaders on short term deals.
6. all sorts of good cheap depth both on the roster and on their championship AHL club.
7. salvaged the only good inherited talent - kadri and Gardiner - who were nearly ruined by previous management.
8. top tier coaching and management
pretty good rebuild there.
The kind of situation which can result in a cup./tldr
2014 - Holy shit, we've hired Shanahan, Dubas and Hunter
2015 - Holy shit, we've hired Babcock, Lamoriello and traded Kessel, Phaneuf
2016 - Holy shit, we won the lottery and drafted Austen Matthews
2017 - Holy shit, after an unexpected playoff round Liljegren dropped to us at #17
2018 - Holy shit, we've signed John Tavares