• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Danny Briere's Contract

I think with Briere the thing is coaching staff wants to limit his minutes so he can keep up. At his size/age and with his style of play (going to the net), it's not easy playing through a 82 game season and then playoffs.

Management did good in sheltering him on the bottom lines all season long, and playoffs....he's given us timely goals/assists in these playoffs

8 mins of icetime and a goal and an assist. Damn fine work. Sometimes, I do feel for him a bit for getting dumped to the press box/4th line. I also wonder why we haven't tried him out more instead of Bournival. Not that Bournival has done badly, but wonder if Briere's playoff magic can rub off on Vanek some.

If Briere had been getting 19-20 minutes of ice-time every night and had produced as little as he did during the season then I'd have been more aggravated by his contract. But given that Therrien only played him about 8 minutes a night and usually with fourth line scrubs for wingers, I really couldn't hold his paltry numbers against him. Even now I'd still like to see him playing more minutes and with better linemates.

8 mins of icetime and a goal and an assist. Damn fine work. Sometimes, I do feel for him a bit for getting dumped to the press box/4th line. I also wonder why we haven't tried him out more instead of Bournival. Not that Bournival has done badly, but wonder if Briere's playoff magic can rub off on Vanek some.

Yeah I'd like to see Briere up there instead of Bournival. I like the kid speed and hustle but he's not an offensive threat so the other team can easily focus on Vanek and Plekanec to neutralize that line.

But then we don't really have a four-line attack, something I've enjoyed.

No difference from what we have now, Plekanec's line haven't scored a goal since Vanek played its first shift with them and set up Plekanec 10 mins in game 3.

Briere has played with ZERO pressure on the bottom lines, with limited minutes during the season....even in the playoffs....

He is rested/fresh when called upon in specific moments during the game....

Even if he had given him top line minutes all year, I don't think Briere would have had amazing numbers to justify his 4 mil contract. The media pressure would have been suffocating, and he wouldn't be happy.....the way management approached Briere all year was a clear win-win for both sides

Back