• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Yeah, so, 35M wont cover that

In a perfect world they pluck some AAA kid from another org that can serve as a #5 SP, so no money needs to go toward that.

I still assume they will spread money around on shorter term deals

Could also move Biagini back to the rotation for next year, and he'd be an adequate #5 guy too. But even just 35M for a middle of the lineup bat plus a #3 starter is probably not going to cut it.

Could also move Biagini back to the rotation for next year, and he'd be an adequate #5 guy too. But even just 35M for a middle of the lineup bat plus a #3 starter is probably not going to cut it.

no, and they are likely unintrested in anything longer than 3 years. The funky budget bunch will be at it again

If they keep the payroll the same, we basically have:
18 (JB) + 14.5 (Estrada) + 13.6 (Liriano) + 10 (Grilli/Howell/Barney/etc...) ~= 55M to spend.
Of that, we probably need about 20M for arbitration raises between Donaldson, Stroman, Osuna, Sanchez, etc... So roughly 35M to replace 1 starter, 1 top/middle of the lineup bat, 1 5th starter, plus the regular depth otherwise. And then that's not factoring in that guys like Tulo and Martin get yet another year older, although we have enough guys on down years that our projections for next year should still be decent.

Basically, we'll need to actually find some good buys in free agency. Need to avoid FA moves like Bautista and Morales who cost money and provide very limited production.

Not concerned about a 5th starter: Sanchez, Happ, Stroman, Biagini

Can probably use Smith JR or Alford to replace Carerra and Travis is a massive upgrade at second.

Sign Cain and Darvish and a good backup infielder.

I don't see us being any real threat to compete next year with a retooled roster.

They're ****ing up. They're going to sit on older assets, lose anyway, and then get nothing for them.

Sell now.

I don't see us being any real threat to compete next year with a retooled roster.

They're ****ing up. They're going to sit on older assets, lose anyway, and then get nothing for them.

Sell now.

They most definitely can contend with a proper re-tool.

The Jays will sell off players this year.

Not concerned about a 5th starter: Sanchez, Happ, Stroman, Biagini

Can probably use Smith JR or Alford to replace Carerra and Travis is a massive upgrade at second.

Sign Cain and Darvish and a good backup infielder.

and Cain and Darvish come for 35M combined eh?

Also, Cain in a corner is a waste for what he'll make.

Sell now.

this doesn't happen often, but we agree.

they pooched it this offseason. no point trying to tread water. and they've already demonstrated they're risk-averse to the point of not even bothering.

of course, I have now become that bitter, cynical, hopeless Jays fan I used to feel sorry for in my youth.

You either die as an optimistic Toronto sports fan, or you live long enough to see yourself become a bitter, cynical, hopeless Toronto sports fan.

But hey, at least we've got the Leafs, and at least the Jays' brief return to being good lasted long enough to distract us from the worst of the Leafs' bottoming out.

You either die as an optimistic Toronto sports fan, or you live long enough to see yourself become a bitter, cynical, hopeless Toronto sports fan.

But hey, at least we've got the Leafs, and at least the Jays' brief return to being good lasted long enough to distract us from the worst of the Leafs' bottoming out.

I bought that Toronto Star season's pass as a teenager, pretty much every year in high school. And those were the Gord Ash and JP days...

But yeah, now that I'm more of an adult with less time to watch sports, and the Leafs are legitimately exciting, it has been a surprisingly painless process to pretty much ignore the Jays (by my standards... which just means no watching/attending games).

So, to conclude. **** Rogers.

i like to have the jays on in the summer

i watch jays in 30 a lot and try to attend a game or two a year (this year in chicago)

I've been watching since day one, not going to stop now.
There's been lots of sucky years, they make the good ones feel even better, and I still got to watch My Team win it all two years in a row and not every city can say that.

Yeah.

People claiming that they're not gonna watch the Jays is pretty stupid. It likely means that you were a pretty crappy fan from the start.

Last edited:
Yeah.

People claiming that they're not gonna watch the Jays is pretty stupid. It means you were fair-weather from the start.

you appear to not understand the term 'fair-weather'

people claiming that they are gonna watch the Jays is pretty stupid

but then again, you may be one of the lemmings who allow Rogers to maximize their profits while flipping the bird to ever caring about winning a championship.

I'm watching less. If there's a better game on, I'll watch that. Or I'll go out and do something instead of going to a game or watching it. And it can happen - to be honest, the last few years the Expos were around I would barely pay attention to what they were doing (partly it wasn't easy to follow back then, and partly because obviously they were basically killing the team). But that takes years of a management team and league with a concerted effort to kill the team, not just a few years of a GM who does moves that I don't like.

you appear to not understand the term 'fair-weather'

people claiming that they are gonna watch the Jays is pretty stupid

but then again, you may be one of the lemmings who allow Rogers to maximize their profits while flipping the bird to ever caring about winning a championship.

I edited it for clarification. I stick with my new statement.

I'm watching less. If there's a better game on, I'll watch that. Or I'll go out and do something instead of going to a game or watching it. And it can happen - to be honest, the last few years the Expos were around I would barely pay attention to what they were doing (partly it wasn't easy to follow back then, and partly because obviously they were basically killing the team). But that takes years of a management team and league with a concerted effort to kill the team, not just a few years of a GM who does moves that I don't like.

it's more a case of ownership refusing to reinvest in the team to try and pursue a championship. especially when we know they absolutely raked in piles of cash over the past two seasons from the box office and playoff runs. and the fact that they had a competitive roster who's window to win was now. so they fired the dude who built the team and hired risk averse fagpouchies, so instead of trying to actually win they could just pocket more cash.

as much as the Leafs sucked, it was never because ownership wasn't prepared to invest in the team. poor management is forgivable.

I don't like my intelligence being insulted.

I'm in favor of a tear down, because in my, and many estimation the window is closed. I'd support the team and wait for the next window.

Purposely hanging on and not cashing in on assets, while selling false hope on competing in 2018 rubs me the wrong way. It's just a ploy to keep the average fan who doesn't know any better coming to the park, and hindering the rebuilding process, which is inevitable, both in terms of assets, and time.

Back