• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Saw this on Twitter if anyone is interested in Marlies tickets.

59ecfa97743be7a51784fcb9494bbebe.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Got 2 tix for Game 6 but don't think the series will even go that long ... too bad that is the only day I am available

You know for the best team in the AHL the Marlies got a tougher route than others. Toronto and Albany should have met in the CF. so I wouldn't look at this series like its a gimme.

The Marlies go on to win the Calder, joy in Leafdom, but how does this help the Leafs. Winning the Calder should mean a ton of prospects will graduate to the Leafs next year, history has shown that winning the Calder doesn't automatically mean that a significant number of the winning AHL team's prospects will go on to proper NHL careers. Cox believes the Marlies only has 1 blue chip prospect, a blue chip prospect is a prospect who by consensus is believed to be NHL worthy. I would think that we all believe Nylander is a blue chipper. Any AHL team that graduates 3 prospects is an AHL team that has done exceptionally well, take Nylander out of the list of potential graduates, he should have been a Leaf after training camp like Babs said, and who else can we realistically expect to be a Leaf next year or the year after.

[video]https://youtu.be/pWa0dZMHYeE[/video]

But ya, I would think Soshnikov and Hyman make the team. Possibly Carrick (D) and Brown.

Last edited:

a blue chip prospect is a prospect who by consensus is believed to be NHL worthy.

That's a terrible definition. The term blue chip prospect is meant to suggest not just being "NHL worthy", but having the potential to be an impact player at the NHL level, with a fairly high likelihood of reaching that potential. By that definition, we only have one on the Marlies, but by that proper definition, most AHL clubs don't have one at all, and a large number of NHL clubs don't have one at all.

The Marlies do though, have a fairly large number of players with legitimate NHL potential. Guys who should be NHL regulars within the next 2-3 years. Short list: Kapanen, Carrick, Sosh, Hyman, Valiev, Brown

Something to remember about this particular AHL team is that they were on a record breaking pace until the Leafs started poaching in the 2nd half. With the age of the majority of the roster, and the relative quality of the roster, expecting a fair number of graduates from this group over the next 2 seasons is pretty safe.

Look at the Marlies top 6 scoring players this year, Brennan, Arco, Colin Smith, Leipsic, Leivo and Nylander. I doubt and Arco have a future as a Leaf, Smith at 56 points in 77 games at 23 maybe but doubtful, Leivo with 48 points in 51 games again maybe the NHL is in his future but he's still a prospect, not a blue chip prospect, Leipsic 54 points in 65 games which is very nice but still a prospect not a blue chipper. Nylander is a blue chipper but then he should have been with the Leafs from the git go.

I do think that blue chip is the proper term for players that are being developed in the AHL because that's the purpose of the AHL or any league in North America, to help make their players NHL worthy.

Something to also remember about the Marlies is that most teams wouldn't have held back obvious NHL talent for the sake of development and therefore the Marlies were able to dominate. I think development is fine but development shouldn't be sacrificed for the sake of winning. Having players like Brennan and Arco killing penalties, being in the 1st PP unit, getting the most ice time is counter productive as I don't see them as Leaf prospects, actual Leaf prospects should have been receiving prime time ice time. Having veteran leadership is fine and proper but having superior AHL talent using up prime development ice time isn't how I would think you develop actual prospects.

Take Arco, Brennan, Frattin and Campbell, who are all high functioning non prospects, off of the Marlie team and remove Nylander who shouldn't have been there in the first place and the Marlies might have not been much better than Bridgeport. That would have been fine because what's left is there for the purpose of development which is what the AHL is all about, what would be left are prospects. How much have these high functioning AHL lifers propped up the productivity of the actual prospects?

Blue chippers isn't normally a phrase that should be associated with players coming from the AHL, that should be for players like Marner, and Strome, players that are expected to be high functioning NHLers after leaving junior, the SEHL, college and other such leagues. Blue chippers from the AHL are players that are considered to have legitimate NHL potential but rarely exceptional NHL futures.

Look at the Marlies top 6 scoring players this year, Brennan, Arco, Colin Smith, Leipsic, Leivo and Nylander.

Why? What does the leading scorers have to do with anything?

Do you deny that Hyman, Kapanen, Lindberg, Brown, Soshnikov, Connor Carrick, & Valiev have legitimate NHL upside?

I do think that blue chip is the proper term for players that are being developed in the AHL because that's the purpose of the AHL or any league in North America, to help make their players NHL worthy.

Marner is also a blue chip prospect...that's the point of the term blue chip. It suggests calibre and likelihood. It has nothing to do with the league the player is in, or simply being "NHL worthy". Soshnikov proved himself to be NHL worthy this year (you know, in the NHL) and nobody would ever call him a blue chip prospect. This is a well known term, you just don't get to change the definition of it because you feel like it.

Something to also remember about the Marlies is that most teams wouldn't have held back obvious NHL talent for the sake of development and therefore the Marlies were able to dominate.

The only player who should have been on the Leafs all season that wasn't, was Nylander. As good as Nylander is, I don't think he makes that big of a difference to the Marlies. They would be devastating without him. They basically role 4 1st lines when healthy, Nylander just happens to be the best player among the 4 1st lines.

Blue chippers isn't normally a phrase that should be associated with players coming from the AHL, that should be for players like Marner

Make up your mind.

Why? What does the leading scorers have to do with anything?

Do you deny that Hyman, Kapanen, Lindberg, Brown, Soshnikov, Connor Carrick, & Valiev have legitimate NHL upside?
Nah ... guys who is low in AHL points due to missed AHL games from injury / call-up to the Leafs are not the Marlies' "top players" :)

Reading comprehension problems again, I went slowly but I see the same reading challenged are driveling without comprehension as usual. Reading is easy, comprehension a totally different matter that requires actual grey matter.

Reading comprehension problems again, I went slowly but I see the same reading challenged are driveling without comprehension as usual. Reading is easy, comprehension a totally different matter that requires actual grey matter.

You said this:

I do think that blue chip is the proper term for players that are being developed in the AHL

and then a few lines later, this:

Blue chippers isn't normally a phrase that should be associated with players coming from the AHL

You don't get to challenge people's reading comprehension when you do this.

You said this:

and then a few lines later, this:

You don't get to challenge people's reading comprehension when you do this.

And at the same time I made it plainly obvious that the connotation of blue chipper was different from the different venues. Stamkos was a clue chipper, he went directly from the draft to the NHL because he wasn't needing development, Rielly was a blue chipper he went from junior after 1 further year of junior development. The quality players don't need development, the junior blue chippers don't need AHL development, their development is in the NHL.

Questionable prospects are developed in the AHL and because of that development some, very few, go on to become NHL players and for the purposes of the AHL they become blue chip. I explained this. Great players rarely graduate from the AHL which is both fine and expected because they weren't expected to become great players, Nyquist is an exceptional AHL graduate but not an NHL star, he was a blue chip graduate from the AHL but will never be an NHL star.

I explained this before and I fail to see why you didn't understand what I said, reading comprehension is the one potential reason or simply being lame assed argumentative another, I love the debate but hate the lame ass stupidity. If you disagree then do so but don't quote me out of context and expect me or anyone else for that matter to think that reading and comprehension is your strong suit.

yes, like every rookie. and he'll develop nicely on the roster.

and of course they're drafting him.

come on.

And at the same time I made it plainly obvious that the connotation of blue chipper was different from the different venues.

This is ridiculous.

Stamkos was a clue chipper, he went directly from the draft to the NHL because he wasn't needing development, Rielly was a blue chipper he went from junior after 1 further year of junior development. The quality players don't need development, the junior blue chippers don't need AHL development, their development is in the NHL.

This is both ridiculous an inaccurate, but given that every time I provide examples of why you're wrong, you just ignore them and carry on with being wrong, I'm going to spare myself the time and energy necessary. Take my word for it though, this is really inaccurate.

Questionable prospects are developed in the AHL

Also really inaccurate. A lot of top prospects spend time in the AHL.

I explained this before and I fail to see why you didn't understand what I said, reading comprehension is the one potential reason or simply being lame assed argumentative another, I love the debate but hate the lame ass stupidity. If you disagree then do so but don't quote me out of context and expect me or anyone else for that matter to think that reading and comprehension is your strong suit.

You said one thing, and then a few lines later completely contradicted it. Now you're spinning yourself silly trying to be condescending.

So I guess it's safe to say Matthews will step in and immediately become our top prospect.

Yes. Then we have a big bag of prospects from #4-10ish that would be in the discussion for #2/3 in a lot of systems.

Back