• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

They have them on satellite photos putting the missiles into Ukraine and taking them out.

I hope the USA, Britain and EU hammer Russia.

Germany has to grow a set. The US can't get ahead of the Euros on this, it's pointless. At the end of the day, it's Germans who have the power to truly f*ck up Russia. They seemed to have no problem screwing Spain over, maybe they should turn their economic guns on Russia.

Debase the rouble...

Kid from Ajax that was the only Canadian killed actually went to my high school a few years behind me. Friends with my cousin. Med school student headed for a vacation in Bali with his girlfriend.

:nono

Pretty sad. They're releasing balloons on the high school field tonight for him.

Now these "rebels" are demanding a cease fire (hide evidence, flee to Russia) in exchange for the basic dignity of allowing access to the bodies.

Scumbags.

Kid from Ajax that was the only Canadian killed actually went to my high school a few years behind me. Friends with my cousin. Med school student headed for a vacation in Bali with his girlfriend.

:nono

Pretty sad. They're releasing balloons on the high school field tonight for him.

What a shame.

Now these "rebels" are demanding a cease fire (hide evidence, flee to Russia) in exchange for the basic dignity of allowing access to the bodies.

Scumbags.

I really, really want "the west" to go out of it's way to ****ing cripple the Russian economy for this shit. Announce a LNG deal with Europe, start building the infrastructure, toughen sanctions .....including going after banks that hold russian bonds/currency (treat them like we treat Iran basically), and yeah, gut their currency's value.

There's no such thing as ex-KGB, and KGB only really understands one thing.

Holland had been up until now one of the EU countries calling for restraint when it came to sanctions against Russia. I guess Vladimir has gone and ****ed that up pretty good.

bBe1HU8.gif

cynical jokes aside, I don't expect much from the 'west' beyond sanctions and sharp tongued rhetoric.

However, if memory serves....the Ukranian's gave up their nukes during the Clinton era in exchange for promises guaranteeing their sovereignty, which included Russian approval as well. I wonder what the Ukrainian's think of that move now.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/20/israel-using-flechette-shells-in-gaza

The Israeli military is using flechette shells, which spray out thousands of tiny and potentially lethal metal darts, in its military operation in Gaza.

Six flechette shells were fired towards the village of Khuzaa, east of Khan Younis, on 17 July, according to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights. Nahla Khalil Najjar, 37, suffered injuries to her chest, it said. PCHR provided a picture of flechettes taken by a fieldworker last week.

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) did not deny using the shells in the conflict. "As a rule, the IDF only employs weapons that have been determined lawful under international law, and in a manner which fully conforms with the laws of armed conflict," a spokesperson said in response to a request for specific comment on the deployment of flechettes.

B'Tselem, an Israeli human rights organisation, describes a flechette shell as "an anti-personnel weapon that is generally fired from a tank. The shell explodes in the air and releases thousands of metal darts 37.5mm in length, which disperse in a conical arch 300 metres long and about 90 metres wide".

The munitions are not prohibited under international humanitarian law, but according to B'Tselem, "other rules of humanitarian law render their use in the Gaza Strip illegal. One of the most fundamental principles is the obligation to distinguish between those who are involved and those who are not involved in the fighting, and to avoid to the extent possible injury to those who are not involved. Deriving from this principle is the prohibition of the use of an imprecise weapon which is likely to result in civilian injuries."

Can't believe putin hasn't said anything yet. He's panicking.

This is the panel from the type of mobile missile launcher that took down the plane

Bs0_MHOCYAAM1-q.jpg

Some jerk off with an AK-47 and a desire to be ruled by the Kremlin again doesn't just hop in and fire off a shot with the manual and a few hours training.

For the record, though i was against the missile strikes, I am pro this Israel ground invasion, and am leaning towards a one state solution.

If even one palestinian had publicly condemned Hamas, I might feel differently.

For the record, though i was against the missile strikes, I am pro this Israel ground invasion, and am leaning towards a one state solution.

If even one palestinian had publicly condemned Hamas, I might feel differently.

Problem with a one state solution is that the Israeli's won't support it. Ever. It ostensibly turns Jews into the minority in their own country, which is never going to fly.

The only answer is a two state solution, with full autonomy for Palestine. All the privileges and expectations that come from being a legitimate nation state.

Ideally the best solution would be that Egypt and Jordan take back all of their citizens (as there actually isn't such a thing as a "Palestinian"), but they would never want to deal with the influx of refugees and it's far more politically expedient to have a non-Muslim demon to score political points off of in the region.

Back