• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leaf Rumours

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...talbot-canes-asking-for-goligoski-more/21780/

Is reporting that Burke wants Max Talbot and a 2nd for Poni from Pitts.

according to this site.

interesting.

Talbot is a solid young two-way 3rd liner with tons of character and grit, on a solid $1mil deal through next season He's even got some offensive upside a la Darcy Tucker. Actually, Darcy's not the worst comparison for Max.

He'd have to be worth at least a 3rd rounder himself, so we'd be getting at least the value of a 2nd + 3rd for Poni, which ain't bad.

He's even got some offensive upside a la Darcy Tucker. Actually, Darcy's not the worst comparison for Max.

Tucker already had two 20+ goal seasons under his belt at the same point in his career.

Maybe a poor man's Tucker.

Can't say I'd be too wild about acquiring yet another offensively mediocre forward with our tradable assets.

I like Talbot. First I'd see if they can get Poni for a home town discount. If he's willing to stay cheap, you have to keep him now that Hagman and Blake's money is off the books.

But if he wants Hagman/Blake money....later Poni.

If Poni can be had at ~3 mill a year for 3-4 yrs, I'd probably sign him.

If he's looking for more than that, I'd probably move him.

I hope they at least talk to his agent. He's an ideal 2nd line player.

Tucker already had two 20+ goal seasons under his belt at the same point in his career.

Maybe a poor man's Tucker.

true - but we can get into a whole good team/bad team ice time/pp time argument with that.

Not gonna argue too much on this one, though - we wouldn't be getting him to be anything more than a 3rd liner for us.

He also had a very nice playoffs when they won the cup.

Can't say I'd be too wild about acquiring yet another offensively mediocre forward with our tradable assets.

well, if it's a choice between a 2nd + 3rd//4th/5th for Poni, or 2nd + Talbot, I'd take the 2nd one.

I like Talbot's character, style, age and price - and it would prevent us from overspending on some other free agent 3rd liners instead.

I like what Talbot brings to the table... a lot. This guy is exactly the sort of player the Leafs should be after. Because he has proven capable of being a good, solid, physical third liner (which this team desperately needs), but has also fit in seamlessly alongside some talented players as a defensive conscience on a scoring line. He won't put up a lot of points but he can skate with anybody, and does a lot of good things in the corner.

and that cap hit is very friendly.

I like Talbot, and wonder why Burke didn't go for more players like him to put up front last summer ... regardless, as much as I like him, he is a 3rd liner and I don't want to overpay for him.

Like swapping Poni for Talbot straight up would be a BAD deal.

true - but we can get into a whole good team/bad team ice time/pp time argument with that.
There's definitely a case to be made there.

He also had a very nice playoffs when they won the cup.
I did just notice that his production actually goes up in the playoffs. That is definitely an attractive feature.

well, if it's a choice between a 2nd + 3rd//4th/5th for Poni, or 2nd + Talbot, I'd take the 2nd one.

I agree. I'm just hoping there's a better choice that involves using the asset to acquire an offensive talent.

I just can't even stand looking at the guy.

I'd do a Poni + Beauchemin for Richards though. Dallas definitely needs help on the blueline.

Kessel must be wondering if he is going to be triple teamed for the rest of the season.

Guys like Kessel have been tripled teamed since junior and will continue to be triple teamed rest of his career. I guess what he'd prefer, is when he's triple teamed and he still gets the puck out to his open linemates, they end up in the back of the net more often than now.

And that will happen ... Burke fully realizes he needs help up front and he'll get to that. But he must first shore up on goaltending, and also, when guys like Phaneuf becomes available, yuo grab them.

Back