• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leaf Rumours

Here are some of the things he said (sorry for any typos):

PK is one of the most dangerous players in the NHL and he is frustrated that we are not winning. He wants this team to win. Shanny does want more from him though.

Nonis has been very valuable to the team, he works well with others.

Shanny has a lot of respect for Ron Wilson, and thinks his comments were necessary.

Most of the players see this time now as an opportunity to step up.

Leadership group knows that they haven't gotten the job done yet. We are at the mid point of the season, this is the time of opportunity. When you have success, our best players and leaders get too much credit, when you are not winning they get too much of the blame.

Lot of teams have problems, we have talent, we don't have enough commitment that is a winning style. You just can't give up the number of shots we do and expect to win. The talent is there, which is very difficult to teach and acquire. Our player's only way out of this is to have the commitment to play the right style.

If we don't see the results that we want to see, there will be some changes.

Until we do have success, this comments from ex coaches are going to follow these players. I am concern about preparation, and giving our coaches the tools they need to do the job.

Our fans are angry and frustrated, and that is well earned. The players understand that their only way out of this is to play well. Then we'll stop hearing from former coaches.

You have to take some of the responsibility for the inconsistency of play on players, some on coaches, and some on management. This is the opportunity that I am hoping they'll grasp onto right now. It's not something that we are willing to be overly patient with. It won't happen over night but we want to at least see the effort.

It's pretty fair to say that the team won't look the same next year if they don't succeed in the next 41 games.

He would like to have a system that if you play it well you have to defend less. He likes teams that move the puck, possess the puck, and support each others. We have the skill, it's about having the will to do it.

He sees the good and he also sees the bad. He's told his players that if they don't think they are not noticing their bad play, they are mistaken.

There is a story from Bill Waters that Shanny asked Kessel to play the left wing and he refused. According to Shanny that is completely untrue and never happened.

He believes in the individuals he brought in, he wants the fans to be patient. They have a plan, but does not like to reveal it. He is not a fan of coming out and talking to the media about plans every week.

What he wants to see in the short term, is that for these guys to work hard, stick with it, and not quit. That even if they don't have a lot of success.

Last edited:
Generally, he seems to believe (at least that's what he is saying publicly) that the talent is there but the will is not. Sounds like he is willing to make big changes if the team doesn't succeed. Sounds like he has no issue with Phil Kessel specifically, and couldn't care less about what fired coaches have to say about him or the team. He also doesn't sound like he'll be all that patient.

Chris Johnson laying a full on education on John Shannon on 590 right now. Nice to hear some sanity in the media.
Yeah, I was listening to that a bit on the way home.

Shannon is such an astounding idiot that I'm pretty sure that listening to his blather gave me brain cancer.

Saying what?
Shannon was arguing that Phil Kessel deserves to be the scape-goat for all of the team's problems, that you can't win with him, and that the Leafs need to dump him for whatever we can get for him. He also believes that it would be hard to find a taker for him at all because his contract is terrible, and he doesn't understand why the Leafs chose to re-sign him in the first place.

Johnson replied with basic sanity:

• Kessel scores 35 goals every year
  • He has shown up big time in the playoffs
  • He will finish in the top-10 in scoring for the fourth straight year this year
  • The Leafs would be insane to get rid of him and need to focus on surrounding him with better talent.
  • If the Leafs actually wanted to dump him, they could find a taker before the end of this weekend and get value.
He also repeated the argument that's been made around here---if Phil Kessel had spent his entire career in Patrick Kane's spot on the Blackhawks, the Hawks still would've won those Cups, and Kessel would be perceived completely differently as a player.

One thing I heard with Dreger and some others was someone had focused on the fact that they outshot the Caps and kept them under 30 shots.

Dreger then said something to the effect of "who cares, winning that game is what is important". Now I agree wins are all that matter, but the previous message was always. "yeah the leafs won, but they can't keep playing like that and getting out shot"..

So what is it, getting Corsi in check or winning? obviously one eventually leads to the other, but you have to take something out of the first Carlyle free game, and that was that they did limit a top team to less shots. Those screw ups though were huge. Gotta change those.

Yeah, I was listening to that a bit on the way home.

Shannon is such an astounding idiot that I'm pretty sure that listening to his blather gave me brain cancer.

Shannon was arguing that Phil Kessel deserves to be the scape-goat for all of the team's problems, that you can't win with him, and that the Leafs need to dump him for whatever we can get for him. He also believes that it would be hard to find a taker for him at all because his contract is terrible, and he doesn't understand why the Leafs chose to re-sign him in the first place.

Johnson replied with basic sanity:

• Kessel scores 35 goals every year
  • He has shown up big time in the playoffs
  • He will finish in the top-10 in scoring for the fourth straight year this year
  • The Leafs would be insane to get rid of him and need to focus on surrounding him with better talent.
  • If the Leafs actually wanted to dump him, they could find a taker before the end of this weekend and get value.
He also repeated the argument that's been made around here---if Phil Kessel had spent his entire career in Patrick Kane's spot on the Blackhawks, the Hawks still would've won those Cups, and Kessel would be perceived completely differently as a player.

I wish I had heard that.

No one wants Kessel at that contract. LOL.

Shanahan: "We're going to learn a lot about our core in the coming weeks."

Really? This is the most absurd thing I've heard! The "core" (Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, Phaneuf etc) have shown they have a tremendous amount of skill and have shown at times they can be dominant but then there's the other side of the coin is they have been incredibly lazy, slow, easy to play against, weak defensively etc... they are very flawed and inconsistent as a core and given they are in their primes I don't see them suddenly getting better or changing.

The question is... were they lazy and clueless defensively, OR where they just following a really bad defensive set up really well? Horacek has been seen talking, showing, stressing different things I really do think you have to see how hard they try defensively in a different set up.

The question is... were they lazy and clueless defensively, OR where they just following a really bad defensive set up really well? Horacek has been seen talking, showing, stressing different things I really do think you have to see how hard they try defensively in a different set up.

I think the answer to your question is a bit of both, both laziness/cluelesslines on the players end and a coach not setting up a system that works to the players strengths.

You need to evaluate the team under Horachek before slapping any definitive labels on the players. If they still play the same way then Shannahan will have to make changes.

Back