• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Re: Hockey Media Thread

I assume this is only available in bigger cities? I can't seem to find a coverage map on their site.

No clue.

Brother has it in Waterloo...so I assume it is ontario areas....which I think is where angelfish lives....

No clue.

Brother has it in Waterloo...so I assume it is ontario areas....which I think is where angelfish lives....

Yeah, I think Acanac is only Ontario, maybe Ont/Qc. In Manitoba I think MTS is likely your best option, or you give in to Rogers/Shaw. There may be other cheaper options out there too, similar to acanac or TekSavvy.

Yeah, I think Acanac is only Ontario, maybe Ont/Qc. In Manitoba I think MTS is likely your best option, or you give in to Rogers/Shaw. There may be other cheaper options out there too, similar to acanac or TekSavvy.

I'm in Saskatchewan now. We have Sasktel and the local cable company as our only 2 options that I'm aware of.

I don't have unlimited net only because I had no need for it. We have enough G per month to keep us happy. However, if we start streaming, and my wife wants google chromecast, we might need more.

Re the legality/illegality of hockeystreams and other such services, chances are they are not legal. If you are defined as part of the grey market, you are illegal by definition. Unless hockeystreams or other suck organizations are paying all broadcasters a fee to rebroadcast or have the express written permission to do so, it is illegal. As they say at the beginning of every NFL game, "this broadcast is for the private use of our viewers, any rebroadcast, retransmission or use of any portion of the broadcast without the express written consent of,,, is strictly prohibited"

Great. I just checked a Senators news release and they apparently have preference for RDS hockey broadcasts in Eastern Ontario. ****ity **** **** ****.

Does that mean for you guys if there is a conflict, their game is shown over a Canadiens' game?

Probably. I have no idea where to get the games without being held hostage by Rogers's insistence that Centre Ice subscribers take all their sports packages or streaming it via Game Centre which lags like a crippled dog.

I love how Bell and Rogers say there is no audience for freaking Habs games in English, yet Bell spends a ton of money to broadcast the turd-rific Winnipeg Jets and the Senaturds. Geoff took that answer at face value? Who the hell wants to watch the Jets outside of Winnipeg?

Here's a quote I found from someone else about the legalities.

"They're in a "grey market" - their servers are outside of any jurisdiction that would allow the NHL to come after them. (I don't know where they stream from, but there's a data-center on Mohawk land in Quebec that was popular with gambling sites for years). Anyways, the NHL hasn't been able to move against them to date."

The NHL being unable to move against them... isn't the same as the NHL not being able to move against the people who use them.

As we've seen with some of the cases on torrented movies, the downloader can be charged too.

The NHL being unable to move against them... isn't the same as the NHL not being able to move against the people who use them.

As we've seen with some of the cases on torrented movies, the downloader can be charged too.

Except they have no jurisdiction to seize their subscriber list.

User list? No.

Eventually though they will find a way to track IPs, and then go to the Internet Service Providers with warrants.

It may not have happened yet, but I'm sure the NHL has hired some smart tech guys to try and figure this out, as they want to sell Gamecentre and/or Centre Ice.

Is it gonna happen tomorrow? No. But you never know when, the trends legally speaking are certainly heading in the favour of copyright owners and not users here.

User list? No.

Eventually though they will find a way to track IPs, and then go to the Internet Service Providers with warrants.

It may not have happened yet, but I'm sure the NHL has hired some smart tech guys to try and figure this out, as they want to sell Gamecentre and/or Centre Ice.

Is it gonna happen tomorrow? No. But you never know when, the trends legally speaking are certainly heading in the favour of copyright owners and not users here.

A. How do they track IPs without access to Hockeystreams' servers and subscriber lists? I'm not arguing, I genuinely don't know how that works.

B. I have a VPN so I don't care if they do try to track IPs.

Like I said for A. Smart computer guys are being hired to figure this out. It may not happen tomorrow... but no one thought they could track torrents until jarhead.

A. How do they track IPs without access to Hockeystreams' servers and subscriber lists? I'm not arguing, I genuinely don't know how that works.

B. I have a VPN so I don't care if they do try to track IPs.

Your VPN wont protect you.

If they want to they can find out.

I believe currently in Canada the max penalty is $5k fine.

Maybe I should send him my business card just in case. (yes Xpofan I know why would he want to use me if he wants to win, insert laughing emoticon)

Back