• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't heard.

Growing up in Newfoundland, Bob Cole was a pretty big deal to us. He started out doing Habs games, before becoming more associated perhaps with the Leafs later on. In fact, that was my only complaint-he then seemed to become yet another Leaf fan in media. But he would probably deny it.

Bob Cole was a fine play-by-play announcer in his prime. He learned from "Danny" and probably came closer than anyone to capturing Danny's style. If anything, he probably hung on too long. Towards the end he would go long stretches without calling the puck carrier by name, didn't seem to know who it was. Still, his voice remained strong and lost little of its resonance.

An amazing thing about Bob is that he never really left home. He would fly up from St.John's to do the games, and fly back .No easy feat, given the weather. And another thing-he had no or hardly a trace of a Newfoundland accent. Trust me-that's no mean feat either.

RIP Bob

Last edited:
I get them all. The only NHL games I don't get on Centre Ice are the Edmonton and Calgary games that I get on Sportsnet West or CBC because they are not "out of market".

The only thing I don't like is that sometimes, they don't give you both team's broadcasts. For instance, if I'm watching a Leafs-Bruins playoff game, I want to avoid the Leaf blowers on HNIT and watch the Boston feed. But I don't get that option. And I don't always get the RDS feed on Habs games. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
you should with Centre Ice channel 13 14 has our RDS games

On Saturday night Habs games that are shown on SN, CBC or City, I don't get a French feed offered on CI. I only get it for midweek games. Same with the Sens. A midweek game will often also have a French feed available, but not on Saturdays.

because Saturday is national, unless afternoon game then on Centre Ice RDS. If you have Optik, you should be able to get TVA Sports

So now ALL the Sportnets are either showing the Canes-Isles game or the Blow Jays-Dodgers. None of them are showing the Florida-Tampa game, which has started already.

Back