• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Re: Hockey Media Thread

Olympics were a blow for sure but already CTV wants out of them. They paid a ton because they were in BC.

CFL, yeah like CBC cared about that second tier league.

CBC also got out of baseball and basketball coverage and I believe soccer as well. Hockey is the only professional sport they are hanging on too.

CFL ratings are almost as good as hockey's.

Re: Thank God for RDS. TSN schedule once again loaded with Leafs games

It's only 2 more games, and I'm pretty sure there's just as many Leaf fans in this country as there is Habs fans

Yeah...the Ottawa Valley is infested with them :thumbsdown:

CBC also got out of baseball and basketball coverage and I believe soccer as well. Hockey is the only professional sport they are hanging on too.

CFL ratings are almost as good as hockey's.

only because there is nothing else on at the same time

only because there is nothing else on at the same time

The Grey Cup routinely draws larger numbers than any single NHL playoff game and it goes head-to-head against your precious be-all-end-all NFL every year. The only people I know who continue to diss the CFL are Yankee wannabe's from Toronto who wear suits and think that they're too "big time" for anything uniquely Canadian.

I have no team to cheer for in the CFL since my Ottawa Rough Riders were destroyed by successive poor ownership. So I am not really a big CFL fan, however, I just cannot pick an NFL game over a CFL one if they are both on at the same time. I have to admit, the NFL game looks better these days because they changed the rules to make the game more offensive, but man the NFL is overhyped to the point of nausea.

Actually I enjoyed the NFL back in the 70's when the unis were brightly coloured. Loved the Patriots uniforms and helmets.
I preferred the games broadcasted in French of all things ...I thought the announcer was great (cant remember his name)...no hype, just the intro music, a few minutes setting up the game then the kickoff!!

Last edited:

The Grey Cup routinely draws larger numbers than any single NHL playoff game and it goes head-to-head against your precious be-all-end-all NFL every year. The only people I know who continue to diss the CFL are Yankee wannabe's from Toronto who wear suits and think that they're too "big time" for anything uniquely Canadian.

a one time event usually can outdraw a series

all I know is that no NFL comes to the CFL if he has other options and no one in the CFL wouldn't jump at a chance to play in the NFL

a one time event usually can outdraw a series

all I know is that no NFL comes to the CFL if he has other options and no one in the CFL wouldn't jump at a chance to play in the NFL

That's only because of money... which shouldn't be the judge of everything. There was a time the CFL was outbidding the NFL for some players. Those days are gone, today the CFL is a viable option for the smaller yet talented player or the player that was overlooked. Some stay in the CFL for their careers and dont even bother to look at the NFL option anymore.

Shit. Now I'm going to have to change the name of this thread again to incorporate other sports! :lol

Maybe... but then hockey media does compete against other sports, and many people in hockey media also work in other sports.

I've never understood the CFL bashing. If you like it, like I do, great. If you don't, well you have the NCAA and the NFL. It's a completely different type of football. A more exciting type if you ask me.

That said, the NFL is fun too. The Packers-Saints season opener was a great game.

would not doubt if sportsnet/ctv took HNIC away from CBC whenever that deal is up

100%, absolutely.

And they will pay out of the ass to get them.

I think I said this a few months back, but I'm estimating that CTV/Sportsnet (Whomever wins the bidding war) will pony up $500M annually for near-universal Canadian broadcasting rights.

Because let's face it, this country lives & breathes hockey, even if the team you root for sucks.

Remember though, NFL fans usually don't bash CFL except when CFLFan insists on saying their game is better and players could get in NFL if only not overlooked etc

Young kids play the three down game somewhere in your neighbourhood every week. The tradition runs more than a hundred years. The Grey Cup is older than the Stanley Cup. Why crap over that?

for the same reason I don't pay to watch AHL hockey in Abbotsford, it is second rate product

Canadian football is a far better game. NFL just has more talent bc of the money but 3 down football is 100 times better than 4 down. 20 second play clock means every game comes down to the end and no lead is safe.

Back