• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Nobody cares about a competition where the best players are not present. A competition between the best players of each country on the other hand is really interesting. The Summit Series was huge and Canada Cup was pretty much the second most important hockey tournament after the Stanley Cup.

They were only big back in the days when the Russians weren't allowed to play in the NHL. Nowadays all the world's best players are already here in the NHL and players change teams so often there's simply no cachet for these types of games anymore. And the Olympics should be reserved for the amateur players instead of paid NHL mercenaries who are only there to drive TV ratings and push products. The NHL regular season is already too long. They don't need to further tax the players' bodies right before the playoffs. The NHL's best advertizement isn't the all star game or the Olympics. It's the playoffs.

They were only big back in the days when the Russians weren't allowed to play in the NHL. Nowadays all the world's best players are already here in the NHL and players change teams so often there's simply no cachet for these types of games anymore. And the Olympics should be reserved for the amateur players instead of paid NHL mercenaries who are only there to drive TV ratings and push products. The NHL regular season is already too long. They don't need to further tax the players' bodies right before the playoffs. The NHL's best advertizement isn't the all star game or the Olympics. It's the playoffs.

So if they're not big anymore, how do you explain that the Olympics games have higher ratings than the Stanley Cup playoffs? I've seen more Americans being turned on to hockey by the Olympics than the Stanley Cup.

Unlike the Olympics, only hockey fans watches the Stanley Cup.

Olympic hockey bears little resemblance to the NHL variety and I couldn't care less about wooing non-hockey fans to the sport. The biggest thing wrong with the NHL since Bettman took over is their desire to sell the game to people and markets who don't care about it and never will. They've prostituted themselves and made all sorts of changes which have had a negative impact on the hard-core fans' enjoyment of the game just so that some idiot who will never become a fan might watch a game once in a blue moon.

Chris Johnston: My bad: Johnny Gaudreau is not part of the main NHL all-star game after all. Was a fluid situation but they've decided to play one F short.

Strange... Gaudreau would've been the perfect addition.

Olympic hockey bears little resemblance to the NHL variety and I couldn't care less about wooing non-hockey fans to the sport. The biggest thing wrong with the NHL since Bettman took over is their desire to sell the game to people and markets who don't care about it and never will. They've prostituted themselves and made all sorts of changes which have had a negative impact on the hard-core fans' enjoyment of the game just so that some idiot who will never become a fan might watch a game once in a blue moon.

I guess I miss the part where the sole purpose of the NHL is to attend to your very specific interests, even above it's own.

For all the idiots things that they've done, hockey is now more popular than ever.

Chris Johnston: My bad: Johnny Gaudreau is not part of the main NHL all-star game after all. Was a fluid situation but they've decided to play one F short.

Strange... Gaudreau would've been the perfect addition.

He doesn't play for an American team so they don't care.

Sure, but it is mighty convenient that every time Lou has a terrible contract on his hands, he magically has a way to get under it.

Only those who's memories don't extend any further back than 1998 when the NHL didn't participate or shut down during the Olympics and nobody cared.

Please... hockey at the Olympics before the NHL got involved was a total bore. I suppose you watch the Spengler Cup every year as well, lol.

NHL just wants the IOC to share a bigger piece of the pie....NHL will say it loses millions by closing for 2 weeks. IOC will have to compromise, the hockey tournament was probably the biggest viewership draw for them in Sochi, Vancouver, and possibly Salt Lake City also....

NHL knows this, and will milk it...like only Bettman knows how to...

IOC won't pay.

If the IOC starts paying the NHL to show up... suddenly all the track stars like Usain Bolt say, "pay me or I'm not coming", the NBA players, Michael Phelps, anyone who has a star name and drives ratings/viewership starts demanding to get paid.

Bettman can ask, but I doubt the IOC gives in on this.

And yeah, Bettman is very good at making money, but the IOC are a bunch of corrupt weasels. Second most corrupt organization in the world. Only FIFA is worse.

I guess those blue moon idiot fans are the ones who have increased revenues in the NHL under Bettman from $400M per year to over $3B a year... and when they add Las Vegas for half a billion dollars in expansion fees you will be even more pissed. Wait until they get a billion for a 2nd team in Ontario.

NHL just wants the IOC to share a bigger piece of the pie....NHL will say it loses millions by closing for 2 weeks. IOC will have to compromise, the hockey tournament was probably the biggest viewership draw for them in Sochi, Vancouver, and possibly Salt Lake City also....

NHL knows this, and will milk it...like only Bettman knows how to...

IOC won't pay.

If the IOC starts paying the NHL to show up... suddenly all the track stars like Usain Bolt say, "pay me or I'm not coming", the NBA players, Michael Phelps, anyone who has a star name and drives ratings/viewership starts demanding to get paid.

Bettman can ask, but I doubt the IOC gives in on this.

And yeah, Bettman is very good at making money, but the IOC are a bunch of corrupt weasels. Second most corrupt organization in the world. Only FIFA is worse.

I don't believe Bettman is out for money so much... he just hates the fact the OIC (Mainly IIHF president, René Fasel) take the NHL for granted like the OIC is doing the NHL a favor by allowing them to publicize their league in front of a such a big TV audience. Bettman wants more control of the scheduling times, housing of the athletes, security and even who gets tickets to the games, which the OIC of course dictates.

In many ways Fasel has called Bettman's bluff and we all know that will just make Gary more stubborn than ever but Bettman has my support because as I have said many times Fasel is a weasel who deserves to be knocked a peg or two down the ladder.

Oh agree fasel is a weasel too.

If its about the other things bettman might have a chance.

If its about money though... wont happen. Ioc wont set that precedent

At the all star draft

Pierre LeBrun
Tyler Seguin traded for Phil Kessel. Hilarious. You can't make this up.

Sure, but it is mighty convenient that every time Lou has a terrible contract on his hands, he magically has a way to get under it.

He has lost his Fken mind and has the worst group of mish mash forwards I have seen in decades on the top 9 . Signing clowns like Clowe on a team going nowhere is his latest sign that the should simply walk away from the sport.

Strombone
No sign of @ovi8 's liver at optional skate this morning......

Chris Johnston: NHL governors told that next year's salary cap will still be within $1M of original $73M projection if Canadian dollar remains around 80 cents.

Back