• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Again how people can change teams? Real fans never can do that....

?

Last 10 seasons:

OTT:
Missed Playoffs: 4X
Lost in 1st RD: 4X
Conference final: 1X

MTL:
Missed Playoffs: 2X
Lost in 1st RD: 4X
Conference final: 2X

The Sens have worse playoff and regular season success in the last decade. They are a middling team that sadly celebrates "Division championships".

The Habs flame hasn't been bright in Montreal for a while, but success in Montreal is measured in rings, not participant banners.
They are in much better shape than us regarding to players, depth and prospects. That actually say more about how much our staffs and management suck rather than Sens being a great team or not.

Nope... as someone who grew up a Habs fan and lived in Winnipeg it never dawned on me to switch teams. It's a total phony pony move.

If he moves to another city, he'll switch teams again.

It's okay to switch teams, even if hard to understand, but why then hate the team you switched from. That suggests a psychosis of some sort.

Pot meet kettle

For real. I have been to Boston, Detroit, Philly, live in Toronto, and legit... Sens fans are by far the most ignorant I have come across. They chant derogatory anti-cultural/ethnic garbage. Every game I've ever been to in that toilet bowl I have seen fights. They are so desperate to be relevant trapped between two storied franchises.

Last edited:

For real. I have been to Boston, Detroit, Philly, live in Toronto, and legit... Sens fans are by far the most ignorant I have come across. They chant derogatory anti-cultural/ethnic garbage. Every game I've ever been to in that toilet bowl I have seen fights. They are so desperate to be relevant trapped between to storied franchises.

Philly fans are nuts as well even in other arenas. I sat with a group of them in Montreal , they were embarrassing and pathetic . Hammered , cursing , no one even attempted to throw them out of the game.

I can understand switching teams if it kind of creeps up on you over time, bu can't understand making a conscious effort to switch. It comes from a feeling, not from the head...... I found myself cheering for the St.Louis Cardinals as an adult simply because my kid started cheering for them as a young child, on his own ( he liked the bird).Someone moves, goes to a lot of home games,finds himself leaning to that team over time, sure,I'll buy that. But not the guy at work, who ,fed up with the Canadiens a few years ago one day decided to start cheering for the Minnesota Wild, completely randomly. (Didn't take).

That said, I' sure I could never not be a Canadiens fan even if I wanted to change or moved to a city with an NHL team. Too deep rooted,like trying to change skin color.

Completely acceptable to switch teams if your city gets an expansion team. Changing teams because you're sick of your team losing, nope.

Completely acceptable to switch teams if your city gets an expansion team. Changing teams because you're sick of your team losing, nope.

You don't attach a time frame to that? I certainly do. If you grew up a Fan of team "X" and in your 30's an expansion team arrives in your city and you switch? You were never really a fan IMHO. As bad or worse than leaving when they are losing.

You don't attach a time frame to that? I certainly do. If you grew up a Fan of team "X" and in your 30's an expansion team arrives in your city and you switch? You were never really a fan IMHO. As bad or worse than leaving when they are losing.

Nah, it's not the same. If you have civic pride and feel connected to your city, you'd probably switch, regardless of your age. Doesn't make you a bad fan.

Nah, it's not the same. If you have civic pride and feel connected to your city, you'd probably switch, regardless of your age. Doesn't make you a bad fan.

So being a fan is strictly geographical? Sorry. Nope. I grew up in Toronto/Scarborough. Never change my stripes.

So being a fan is strictly geographical? Sorry. Nope. I grew up in Toronto/Scarborough. Never change my stripes.

Not strictly. Sure you've always been a Habs fan, but the Leafs have always been in Toronto. It's not like you grew up somewhere without a team and the NHL expanded to your city. Not saying you'd be obligated to root for the new team, but it would be completely understandable if you did.

There are people who are fans of a team, like canadiens and leafs fans who absolutely stop watching hockey once their team is out.

There are also those who are fans of hockey who will watch their team but other teams as well.

Its the latter who can switch once a new team comes to their hometown.

Not strictly. Sure you've always been a Habs fan, but the Leafs have always been in Toronto. It's not like you grew up somewhere without a team and the NHL expanded to your city. Not saying you'd be obligated to root for the new team, but it would be completely understandable if you did.

Agree to disagree. Can't see myself switching in ANY situation.

There are people who are fans of a team, like canadiens and leafs fans who absolutely stop watching hockey once their team is out.

There are also those who are fans of hockey who will watch their team but other teams as well.

Its the latter who can switch once a new team comes to their hometown.

I watch when the Habs are out, and would never switch. Just no rooting interest when Habs are gone... well... I root against certain teams and players ;)

Back